[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL owners vote to make PI reviewable

Big John

19 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Leave it as is. Crap happens, people will have to deal with it. Do you want 4.5 hour long games? I don't. 

RED ZONE....IF it's too long don't care. I see almost everything that is good and miss all that sucks a s s. 

Some PI's are so borderline already.  The Saints one is obvious and a great use.  The way I can see it being used is for any big pass play that looks iffy, which is a lot of them, and we are going to get even more borderline how-does-the-ref-feel-today calls.  And the length of the game somewhat too.  Kind of amazing they take as long as they do to review when you can usually tell within about 20 seconds what the answer is. 

Edited by purplemonster

24 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

Some PI's are so borderline already.  The Saints one is obvious and a great use.  The way I can see it being used is for any big pass play that looks iffy, which is a lot of them, and we are going to get even more borderline how-does-the-ref-feel-today calls.  And the length of the game somewhat too.  Kind of amazing they take as long as they do to review when you can usually tell within about 20 seconds what the answer is. 

There is more to the review than upheld/overturn, if being overturned it requires they check replay for clock, ball spot, etc. 

I'd rather they get it right the first time, but appreciate review to deal with the egregious mistakes. Games are getting longer, but I always watch on DVR and can FF right through the extra delays. 

25 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

There is more to the review than upheld/overturn, if being overturned it requires they check replay for clock, ball spot, etc. 

I'd rather they get it right the first time, but appreciate review to deal with the egregious mistakes. Games are getting longer, but I always watch on DVR and can FF right through the extra delays. 

I know there is more to it but it seems like it could still be a little faster honestly 

This shouldn't lengthen games any more than they were when they allowed coaching challenges in the first place. It's just another challengeable play in addition to possession of the ball. Each side gets the same two challenges as always, and in the final two minutes, now the refs can review it as well. Other than the case of an uncalled PI in the final two minutes, it doesn't really change anything in terms of time of the game.

Owners voted, 31-1, to make pass interference reviewable by replay. Both interference calls and non-calls by officials can be reviewed, via a coach’s challenge in the first 28 minutes of each half and by booth review in the final two minutes of each half. The change was ratified on a one-year trial basis and takes effect in the 2019 season.

2 minutes ago, DMD said:

This shouldn't lengthen games any more than they were when they allowed coaching challenges in the first place. It's just another challengeable play in addition to possession of the ball. Each side gets the same two challenges as always, and in the final two minutes, now the refs can review it as well. Other than the case of an uncalled PI in the final two minutes, it doesn't really change anything in terms of time of the game.

Good points but I think they are opening up a can of worms. What's gonna happen in a two minute drill when every play is a passing play and both the CB'S and WRS are screaming for flags? Is is going to be like an NBA game where the last two minutes are an eternity? 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-competition-committee-says-crucial-013154272.html

the game is going to suck if this is true.....if they are going to be making PI calls on plays like that with a game on the line they are going to ruin it...i know im a pats fan and some of you will think im crazy...but if a play like that is getting called and changing a game its going to be awful

part of the beauty of the game is that PI is a judgement call...much like a foul in basketball....and refs can sort of let guys get away with more at certain times/points within reason....

3 hours ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-competition-committee-says-crucial-013154272.html

the game is going to suck if this is true.....if they are going to be making PI calls on plays like that with a game on the line they are going to ruin it...i know im a pats fan and some of you will think im crazy...but if a play like that is getting called and changing a game its going to be awful

part of the beauty of the game is that PI is a judgement call...much like a foul in basketball....and refs can sort of let guys get away with more at certain times/points within reason....

If they call that play they can call almost any pass play, just like holding on the offensive line. Totally agree on the judgement call angle being nice - when the calls aren't completely outrageous.

I have zero confidence in the NFL to get this right.

The CFL has had reviewable PI since 2014.

I will admit that it hasn't been perfect. You will sometimes see big pass plays get challenged on the off chance that the ref sees PI when there is handfighting down the field or feet getting tangled up. The interruption of the flow of the game can be a little frustrating at times but it's not the 5 hour trainwreck that some of you think it will be.

I think that it helps the refs get it right way more often than not.

20 hours ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

And let certain teams get away with more than other teams.

It was marginal but clearly the NE defender is holding the WR left arm back as he tries to reach for the ball, before the ball arrives. That is PI. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

It was marginal but clearly the NE defender is holding the WR left arm back as he tries to reach for the ball, before the ball arrives. That is PI.

You can call pass interference on almost ANY down the field pass. So now the question once again is "what is pass interference and what is not?". This is going to open a whole new can of worms. I think this is only going to complicate things. How about just having better referees? 

• Confused 1

On 3/28/2019 at 1:28 PM, stevegrab said:

i really want to go on a rant....but im gonna let this one go lol

• Haha 1