[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sad Year for A Chargers Fan

Comm1

2 hours ago, Phat Rugby said:

The O line is terrible and Rivers has no mobility or arm strength to throw. Wasting a crapload of talent out there. They need a new QB

I see it. It’s terrible they start out good and get wore down it seems in the few games I’ve seen them play. Against the Bears same thing. No mobility like you said but they pulled that out. They have so many good weapons to not be a contender. 

5 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Rivers looks terrible. He looks as if he's a confused 22 year old rookie. 

That's what I was thinking as well. He looks like a rookie out there or his head is no longer in it. It's not the arm, he was still slinging downfield. He just wasn't connecting and on some of those passes they were way off the mark. I have a hard time believing Keenan Allen and Mike Williams are that out of tune with their QB. 

44 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

That's what I was thinking as well. He looks like a rookie out there or his head is no longer in it. It's not the arm, he was still slinging downfield. He just wasn't connecting and on some of those passes they were way off the mark. I have a hard time believing Keenan Allen and Mike Williams are that out of tune with their QB. 

The 50yd pass on the final drive down the sideline was a thing of magic. He still has it, but he's being very reckless. 

I do wonder why the coaches call so many deep pass plays when he's struggling to connect, or is he making those calls.

I know many people don't like him, he was my fantasy QB for a long stretch and was exciting to have (compared to Goff the horrible). 

Edited by stevegrab

3 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

The 50yd pass on the final drive down the sideline was a thing of magic. He still has it, but he's being very reckless. 

I do wonder why the coaches call so many deep pass plays when he's struggling to connect, or is he making those calls.

I know many people don't like him, he was my fantasy QB for a long stretch and was exciting to have (compared to Goff the horrible). 

They should have kept pounding the ball. I thought they were trying to get too cute in the play calling. 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Pretty good throw.  Amazing catch.  

But, I agree that he seems more reckless this year than in the past.  Sort of seems like a "nothing to lose" mentality that has backfired more often than not.

Top 10 all time, no way.  Top 10 in this era, certainly.  I'm talking guys who have played the majority of their careers since the turn of the century.  Does that get him into the HOF?  Most experts say absolutely, from what I've seen/heard.  But, it brings up the key question regarding the criteria for any HOF.... Is having an above-average career for an above-average length of time enough to warrant getting in?  In other words, does quantity warrant a HOF career, even if the quality isn't quite there in terms of elite status?  Rivers has always been very good, but I'm not sure he's ever been one of the best 2-3 QB's in the league.  Most years, he was probably on the outside of that top 2-3 number, but definitely in the top 6-8.  Eight pro bowls in 16 seasons (assuming he doesn't make it this year).  That's always been my personal criteria, for any sport.  The career numbers must be there, but also were they among the best of the best at their position?  And, if so, for how long?  

This year has been unusually bad for him, in terms of the careless throws and interceptions.  I will say that having a decent O-line (or not having one) can make even the best QB's look shaky.  Especially at a point in their career when they have basically ZERO mobility.  Rivers has been under constant pressure all season, and his TD/INT ratio (15/14) shows as a result.  Career-wise, though, he's better than 2-to-1.  And, when the O-line played well, they had good results (think the GB game).  Shore up the O-Line, and focus on not being too one-dimensional (50+ passes in a game rarely works in ones favor), and I think he can still be serviceable (and definitely better than whatever the alternative might be at this point).  

As for SB appearances, or lack thereof, I think it's a fair criticism, to some extent.  On one hand, it would be easy to say that his career has been encompassed within the time-span of Brady's career.  And, Brady is the best ever at the position.  But, with the weapons he's had, combined with the less than spectacular playoff record/stats, I think you can make the argument that Rivers has underachieved in the playoffs.  Is it all on him?  No.  Rivers has been paired with some average at best coaches during his career, while Brady has been paired with the master.  But, Rivers has had many chances throughout his career, and for the most part, always came up a little short when it mattered most.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Gopher said:

But, Rivers has had many chances throughout his career, and for the most part, always came up a little short when it mattered most.  

Except when it involves his wife. I'd say she might have a bone to pick with you but by now she's probably done with bones. 

• Haha 2