[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Breeds of Dog

Savage Beatings

whatever you do be consistent with HOUSE TRAINING!

if it wakes up TAKE IT OUTSIDE

after it eats TAKE IT OUTSIDE

when it wakes up at 2am TAKE IT OUTSIDE

when it wakes up at 4am TAKE IT OUTSIDE

when it wakes up at 5:30am TAKE IT OUTSIDE

we got a Miniature Pinscher back in sept(7wks old) I had her house broken at about 10-11 weeks...supposedly the min pin is tuff to house train but she wasnt that hard....only had like 3 pee accidents and on poop accident...

also if you see the dog has an accident and you didnt catch it while it was happening DO NOT REPRIMAND THE DOG

it will only cause problems...if you catch the dog MID LEG manhood/SQUAT just YELL NO and then take it outside IMMEDIATELY!!

1271656[/snapback]

We learned a trick for housetraining. We put a bell on the back door. When we took her out, we rang the bell. Within a week the dog got the point and was ringing the bell to go out!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We learned a trick for housetraining.  We put a bell on the back door.  When we took her out, we rang the bell.  Within a week the dog got the point and was ringing the bell to go out!

1271665[/snapback]

yeah you can teach a dog to do that too....my dog is to short :D

Well, after a lot of discussion and no decision for the last 5 or 6 months, my wife finally surprised me last night by bringing home a puppy!  I'm actually really glad she did.  This is one of those decisions that is so easy to put off and put off, that you almost have to do it on the spur of the moment.

We got one of my absolute favorite breeds... a Pembroke Welsh Corgi.  If someone has a place for me to post it, I'll share a picture with you.  He looks like a little sausage with giant ears! 

The consensus name ended up being Koda (from the movie Brother Bear).  I was pushing for Dublin, but our 7 year old was having a hard time pronouncing it, so after about an hour of heavy crying we calmed her down with the name Koda.

Now the fun begins (sigh).  :D

1271643[/snapback]

They're great dogs. I have one and they're a riot to be around.

My Fellow Huddlers,

The wife and I are thinking about adopting a dog and I was wondering if you all had any collective knowledge about breeds and such...

We're looking for a non-puppy that doesn't shed and has a temperament that is very good with small children (we have a 1 year old).  Size isn't really all that important to us I guess (or so my wife keeps telling me), but we'd really like a non-shedding dog that's already housebroken and won't eat our baby.  What do you think?

Also, we have a large yard, but do not have a fence up (and probably won't for a little while) so we'd probably have to get some kind of tether or other sytem to let the doggy run around.  Any suggestions on this?

865243[/snapback]

I didn't read any of the other responses so may be repeating (or not).

When my wife and I got married we had 2 lab/shepherd crosses. They were our babies and were inside/outside dogs, mostly inside. One was rather large at 120 lbs and the other a bit smaller at 70 lbs.

In his youth the big one was a big old lovable dog with lots of clumsy energy (like lots of labradors). The smaller one was a push over (I used to say you could shoot her and she would use her last bit of strength to crawl back to your feet and lick you). Years later when we had our first child our concern wasn't that either dog would hurt our child on purpose but that the big one would unintentionally cause harm due to his large size and clumsiness. At that point they became mostly outside dogs. As the bigger dog got older (10+ years) the shepherd began to show and he could be "grumpy". At one point he even bit my hand as I was chastising him (he grabbed it ... but then didn't know what to do with it). I put a muzzle on him and beat the shucks out of him (literally ... with fists) and it was never an issue again.

Our next dog was a Beagle ... and he has a wonderful disposition and is absolutely great with the kids. I have no problems recommending a Beagle. We got the Beagle when he was a year old. Some Beagles can be noisy with their howling but in all the years we've had Beagles (my parents used to raise them) it wasn't something that couldn't be brought under control. This particular Beagle is pretty large for a Beagle at 40'ish pounds (and he's not fat).

This year we bought a Toy Fox Terrier for my daughter's 13th birthday ... she is now 1 year old and at about 6'ish pounds is about as big as she will get. She is a wonderful dog for the whole family and has a great personality. She is VERY playful and inquisitive. She also loves to sleep/cuddle with my daughter (or anybody that will let her). She is VERY smart too and is actually more of a "watch dog" than the Beagle in that she thinks she is feriocious and barks at the door when somebody knocks. For a young child I highly recommend a Toy Fox Terrier ... assuming the one we have is a good representation of the breed.

We've had good luck with our Weimaraner, FWIW. Short hair, VERY protective of the children around strangers and other dogs, loyal, and most importantly, gentle.

My daughter once hooked her thumb pretty far up and in the dog's eye lid and pulled hard, but the dog did nothing but get up and move. Thought for sure any dog would have at least snapped in that situation.

Course, Weimeraners are a bit spastic and, at times, clumsy. But that's the worst I can say about mine.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but stay away from dalmations. They are the breed that bites children with the most frequency, though they rarely maul kids to death, so they don't make the news like pitbulls.

Edited by yo mama

i'll be picking out a boston terrier from my aunt's lady dog's litter this weekend or next.  i cant wait :D

1271935[/snapback]

:DThey're cool little dogs, but you really need the ability to love ugly.

My grandparents had one names Jiggs for years and he was a riot - he thought he was the stud of the whole neighborhood.

Well, after a lot of discussion and no decision for the last 5 or 6 months, my wife finally surprised me last night by bringing home a puppy!  I'm actually really glad she did.  This is one of those decisions that is so easy to put off and put off, that you almost have to do it on the spur of the moment.

We got one of my absolute favorite breeds... a Pembroke Welsh Corgi.  If someone has a place for me to post it, I'll share a picture with you.  He looks like a little sausage with giant ears! 

The consensus name ended up being Koda (from the movie Brother Bear).  I was pushing for Dublin, but our 7 year old was having a hard time pronouncing it, so after about an hour of heavy crying we calmed her down with the name Koda.

Now the fun begins (sigh).  :D

1271643[/snapback]

Nice.

not a breed I originally liked, but have definitely softened towards them (though honestly there is no such thing as a bad breed IMO). Now obviously your wife is not a member of thehuddle, as she would know that shortand wiry haired dogs are the MOST shedding and most pain in the ass to pick up hair kind of dog.

Dublin is a good solid dog type of name.

Hate to ask, and not having children or remembering childhood I may be way off base but....a 7 year old can't say 'Dublin'? :D

Nice.

not a breed I originally liked, but have definitely softened towards them (though honestly there is no such thing as a bad breed IMO).  Now obviously your wife is not a member of thehuddle, as she would know that shortand wiry haired dogs are the MOST shedding and most pain in the ass to pick up hair kind of dog.

Dublin is a good solid dog type of name.

Hate to ask, and not having children or remembering childhood I may be way off base but....a 7 year old can't say 'Dublin'? :D

1271967[/snapback]

Good info here which is why I bought my wife a Dyson - Animal vacuum for Xmas.

We've had good luck with our Weimaraner, FWIW.  Short hair, VERY protective of the children around strangers and other dogs, loyal, and most importantly, gentle.

My daughter once hooked her thumb pretty far up and in the dog's eye lid and pulled hard, but the dog did nothing but get up and move.  Thought for sure any dog would have at least snapped in that situation.

Course, Weimeraners are a bit spastic and, at times, clumsy.  But that's the worst I can say about mine.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but stay away from dalmations.  They are the breed that bites children with the most frequency, though they rarely maul kids to death, so they don't make the news like pitbulls.

1271922[/snapback]

Have 2 of them:

Piton and Macy

Macy's almost 3 now, and Piton just turned 6. Macy is a Champion Weim.

Have 2 of them:

Piton and Macy

Macy's almost 3 now, and Piton just turned 6. Macy is a Champion Weim.

1272319[/snapback]

Saw them in your photo buckett, from the Grits post. Was wondering whose Weims those were. We adopted ours back in Texas; her name is Shiner. My Ridgeback is named Guinness.

Edited by yo mama

Saw them in your photo buckett, from the Grits post.  Was wondering whose Weims those were.  We adopted ours back in Texas; her name is Shiner.  My Ridgeback is named Guinness.

1272325[/snapback]

If you, or anyone you know, is ever looking for Weims, as show dogs, or strictly as pets, let me know, we have a bunch of contacts.

This is a great place to start if you're into the adoption thing:

http://www.weimrescue.org/

:D

This is a great place to start if you're into the adoption thing:

http://www.weimrescue.org/

:D

1272355[/snapback]

Yup, we got Shiner from a Texas-based chapter of Weimaraner Rescue. Ironically, we got her from a family that just had their first baby and were getting rid of all their pets. Funny, because Shiner has been great around our kids; that family probably didn't need to get rid of Shiner. That family had previously adopted Shiner through Weimaraner Resuce, which saved her from a puppy mill. Great organization.