[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bacon Wrapped Jalepenos

TonyMantana

A little cream cheese and a small slice of marinated chicken on top of a halved Jalepeno wrapped in Bacon.

I've been asked to make some for the Monday night Den v KC game at mile high.

I've never taken them on the road before. Any advice? Prep them all, or make them there?

(I don't want them to fall apart, I also don't want to spend 30 minutes making food while I can be drinking and playing poker on my day off in the parking lot)

Edited by TonyMantana

A.K.A....ABT's...(Atomic Buffalo Turds)! They're great. Here's how I make them:

Buy the largest Japs you can, cut off the top and then core them. An apple corer works great. The more seeds you leave in, the hotter they will be

I mix the cream cheese and meat (in your case chicken chopped up real fine) and stuff the bottom. Then add some chicken chunks then top w/Mozzerela. Lay one inch piece of bacon over top and grill for about 45 minutes or until bacon is done. Very good.

Buy the largest Japs you can, cut off the top and then core them.  An apple corer works great.  The more seeds you leave in, the hotter they will be

1013074[/snapback]

It is my understanding that the seeds have nothing to do with the heat. It's the white veins within the jalapeno. Leave the veins in = heat. Scrape them out = cold. The problem is, when people remove the seeds, they are not careful and they remove the veins as well.

On another note, when I make poppers (as I did last weekend), I cook up bacon and then break it up into little pieces and mix it in with the cream cheese (I also throw in shredded cheddar, garlic, and italian seasoning. Yum.

both seeds and veins add heat unta.

1013121[/snapback]

You are correct, sir. I did a search and voila:

Altering the Heat

When cooking with chiles, keep in mind that the vein and the seeds are highly concentrated in capsaicin. You can adjust the heat levels of foods by either adding or omitting these parts of the chile.

So, my poppers can be hotter by leaving in the seeds...hmmm

You are correct, sir.  I did a search and voila:

So, my poppers can be hotter by leaving in the seeds...hmmm

1013138[/snapback]

i also think that the heat from the veins is more intense

edit: as i think about it.... it probably depends on the pepper. the seeds from anchos i've worked with have brought a lot of heat

Edited by Bier Meister

oh yeah....not so sure i'd use chicken with this. chicken takes a while to cook while the bacon, pepper, and cream cheese will cook relatively quickly... if you have a food processor at home, i'd recommend throwing in CC, sliced green onions, cilantro, half of a red pepper, some lump crab meat (broken up), and a little bit of milk (for texure- will smooth it out). use that to stuff the peppers.

both seeds and veins add heat unta.

....what you may want to do is partially cook them at home then finish them on the grill at the game...

i am going on an assumption that you are going to it and tailgating.

1013121[/snapback]

Yup - keep the seeds, dump the veins - they can be bitter. I usually try a raw pepper to see what the batch is like. If I detect a bitter taste - I ditch the veins. :D

It is my understanding that the seeds have nothing to do with the heat.  It's the white veins within the jalapeno.  Leave the veins in =  heat.  Scrape them out = cold.  The problem is, when people remove the seeds, they are not careful and they remove the veins as well.

1013099[/snapback]

Yup.

Also, the longer you leave any habanero or jalepeno on the plant, the more ripe and heat intense it will become. They will continue to ripen after picked and the heat will also increase then as well. If you wait too long, you are starting to dry the peppers.

One other thing. A perfectly ripe jap should have small brown splits in it's side. Although, they can be picked and eaten prematurely, you're not getting the best the pepper has to offer.

The Dark Knight