[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jamal Lewis: Will he do ANYTHING ?

RussMan

Here is a guy that was ranked in the TOP 10. Only been two games but he hasnt done squat.

His value is too low to trade for an old jockstrap.... having Wright and those sorry WR's doesnt help matters any either.

Doesn anyone think this guy will live up to his top 10 projection?

Working on trading him away right now. I send Lewis and receive J Smith and Mewelde. My other starter is JJones.

Going to try to do a second trade with Mewelde, B. Edwards and D. Stallworth for T. Jones and a bum to be named later (I have C. Benson already). This guy's team has no WRs. His starters are R. Wayne (done nothing) and I. Bruce (turf toe).

Here is a guy that was ranked in the TOP 10.  Only been two games but he hasnt done squat. 

His value is too low to trade for an old jockstrap.... having Wright and those sorry WR's  doesnt help matters any either.

Doesn anyone think this guy will live up to his top 10 projection?

1026500[/snapback]

Actually, Yeah. This is a team that has had success, has decent players, and a good, motivating coach. 2 bad games is not nearly enough to prove anything. I think that after a week off to retool & reload, Baltimore will make a statement against a struggling Jets team & pulverize them. Lets project 120 & 2 TD's for Lewis. :D

Although maybe this is just wishful thinking... :D

In week 2 Baltimore passed the ball with Wright 40 times. Jamal had just 10 carries and 1 recption.

In week 1 he had only 16 carries and 4 receptions. Wright had 31 passes and Boller 23. It was 3-0 Colts at the half. WTH? RUN THE BALL !

In Week 3 they get the JETS at home. The Jets are 29th in the NFL vs the rush giving up 134 yds per game. If Jamal cant get it done at home, coming off a bye, against the Jets run D.. then he is looking to be pretty worthless as far as trading... and hard to keep in a lineup.

I think he'll turn it around, its only been a couple of weeks

I love it when people panick and start trading their studs in week 2 or week 3.

Jamal's main issue in the QB. Since they don't have much of a passing game it's not to hard to defend the Ravens against the Run.

We need more passing and the D will open up. Jamal will be fine if you give him a chance. If you have room keep him on your bench for another week and see what happens.

You'll kick yourself if you trade him and he starts busting loose.

Good Luck

I love it when people panick and start trading their studs in week 2 or week 3.

You'll kick yourself if you trade him and he starts busting loose.

1026723[/snapback]

Yup, agreed, it always amazes me every year what the weinie whinney fair wheather folks do....or maybe it just cracks me up! :D

Don't hate me, love the game!!! :D

Yup, agreed, it always amazes me every year what the weinie whinney fair wheather folks do....or maybe it just cracks me up!  :D

Don't hate me, love the game!!!  :D

1026728[/snapback]

Did you watch the 1st 2 games? The Baltimore line looked worse than Houston's. Jamal was routinely tackled 5 yards in the backfield with no hope of gaining a yard. I've never seen a worse team.

The week 3 bye came at a good time for the Ravens. If thier DEF plays even close to its potential this week against the Jets, who are mangled on offense, the Ravens should have no problem getting the ball back into the offenses hands and pounding the ball with the run. There should be a significantly lesser need to pass the ball 40 times and Lewis will benefit.

If he craps out in Week 4, *then* you can panic. Until then, relax. It's only been 2 games for a team that lost its starting QB right out of the gates. And Lewis was admittedly not 100% in Week 1, either.

The week 3 bye came at a good time for the Ravens.  If thier DEF plays even close to its potential this week against the Jets, who are mangled on offense, the Ravens should have no problem getting the ball back into the offenses hands and pounding the ball with the run.  There should be a significantly lesser need to pass the ball 40 times and Lewis will benefit.

If he craps out in Week 4, *then* you can panic.  Until then, relax.  It's only been 2 games for a team that lost its starting QB right out of the gates.  And Lewis was admittedly not 100% in Week 1, either.

1026759[/snapback]

That is what I have been hoping for and is why I'm hanging on. The Ravens have good coaches and hope they have righted the ship.

This week will definitely make or break his (and their) season as far as getting back on track.

IMO, this has much less to do with owners not being patient and much more to do with the fact that he simply LOOKS HURT. The Ravens never had a good offense and he was still able to run against 8 man fronts. He is not running with nearly the same steam as before. 1 bye week is not going to allow him to get healthy and ramped for the rigors of an NFL season in which he's expected to get 300+ carries. I'd pick up Chester Taylor (if his even still availible) now before this game.

Traded for him last week. I have Chester on the bench, so I gave up DD and got Meshawn and J.Lewis. DD is the bigger risk IMO, just because Houston looks weak on both offense and defense, and I don't understand the top 10 "RB's to own" for DD at this point. At least the Ravens have a stout defense, so if the offense sputters the games won't be so far out of reach that the running game has to be abandoned. Also have Mewelde and Cadillac, so even if I use Lewis in spot starts I think he'll have some monster games mixed in with some duds. If you do own Lewis and not Chester I'd say the safe bet is to make a trade for Chester now.

Jamal's main issue in the QB.  Since they don't have much of a passing game it's not to hard to defend the Ravens against the Run.

We need more passing and the D will open up.  Jamal will be fine if you give him a chance.  If you have room keep him on your bench for another week and see what happens.

1026723[/snapback]

While this line of reasoning seems logical at first glance, you have to remember that the Ravens haven't had a QB or passing game in forever. Didn't stop Jamal from producing before. So why isn't he able to produce this year like he has in past, while in the same situation ~ ie: no QB or passing game?

#1) Is he still troubled by the ankle, which he wasn't able to properly re-hab while a guest of the Georgia Prison System?

#2) Is his football conditioning off? Again as a result of not being able to work out properly, while cooling his heels in Georgia's Prison System.

#3) Is the O'Line missing Center Casey Rabach more than anticipated?

Edited by Big Score 1

I'm not dumping him just yet...

If he is going to break out, this might be the week to do it

1026789[/snapback]

Ya Im gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and keep him at MOST 2 more weeks. After that, Ill have to package the likes of him and Tony Gonzolez for z better #2 RB. McGahee is my #1 and I was pumped when Lewis fell to me at #2. Guess everyone else knew better. :D

He gets his fullback Ricard back this week. He was inactive for the first 2 games and Lewis obviously struggled. The Ravens ran a lot of 1 back formations and even used an H-back to block. These formations were unfamiliar to JLew as he has always relied upon a fullback. I don't expect a huge game from him this week, but 80 yards and a TD should set a lot of people's minds at ease.

Article from the Baltimore Sun:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...ports-headlines

J. Lewis intends to get up and running vs. Jets

Ravens RB has been held to 57 rushing yards in two games

By David Ginsburg

The Associated Press

Originally published September 28, 2005, 4:41 PM EDT

Jamal Lewis has spent much of the past two weeks thinking about his 9-yard rushing performance against Tennessee and his meager average of 2.2 yards per carry this season.

This Sunday, against the New York Jets, the Baltimore Ravens running back intends to carry the football far more frequently -- and quite a bit more effectively.

The Ravens entered the season hoping to add variety to an offense that has depended primarily on Lewis since his rookie year in 2000. So in their first two games they attempted 95 passes and ran 55 times, an imbalance that produced two lopsided defeats.

Now, following an introspective two-week break, the Ravens intend to get back to the basics in an effort to revive an offense that has scored only two meaningless fourth-quarter touchdowns.

"We just need to do what we do best. Our line, they love to lean on guys and lean on defenses and just set that tempo," Lewis said Wednesday. "I think that's what we're getting back to."

After Lewis had little success in the early going against Indianapolis and Tennessee, the Ravens turned to the pass to generate some offense. The move, perceived by Lewis to reflect a lack of patience, simply did not work.

The way Lewis sees it, his numbers in the first half will improve significantly in the final 30 minutes if the Ravens keep sending him through the line.

"Early, when you're getting those 2-yard runs, those 3-yard runs, you've got guys on defense out there that are fresh. But eventually they'll break," he said. "You've got some 300-pound guys leaning on those guys, and you've got a big 245-pound back, a 240-pound fullback that's pounding and pounding, in the third, fourth quarter they start breaking. I don't care how good a defense is."

In the first two games, the fullback leading the way for Lewis was Ovie Mughelli. This week, the Ravens will have the more experienced Alan Richard, who was held out of the first two games with a calf injury.

There's no telling the impact Richard will have on the running game, but Lewis is certainly excited to have his own personal battering ram back in the lineup.

"There's a chemistry we have. A lot of people don't understand that," he said. "It's like, he's just a fullback and I'm a tailback, but it kind of works hand-in-hand in producing a good running game, which we've had since I've been here."

No team in the NFL has generated fewer yards rushing than the Ravens, who spent much of their bye week working toward correcting that flaw. There's little doubt that the Jets will focus on stopping Lewis and forcing Anthony Wright to throw, but Baltimore coach Brian Billick knows the Ravens must run the football to win.

"Gotta do it. Gotta do it," he said, repeating the phrase for emphasis. "And it's a tall order against a group that has five first-round draft choices in the front seven. It ain't going to be easy, but we've got to commit to it and we will."

Lewis can't wait to get started. After running for 2,066 yards in 2003 and topping the 1,000-yard mark last year despite missing four games, he can hardly believe he's got 57 yards rushing after two games.

"I'm not embarrassed. You've just got to take it as it comes," he said. "The last two weeks we tried to balance it out and do some different things. Hey, that's not my thing. I like to run the football, I like to set a tempo on this offense and get things rolling. Now we're getting back to that, so I guess we'll see Sunday how things work out."

Right guard Keydrick Vincent, who came to the Ravens during the offseason from the Pittsburgh Steelers, watched Lewis for years from the opposing sideline. He was stunned to learn that Lewis ranks 49th in the NFL in rushing yardage -- behind five quarterbacks, no less.

"It's crazy, the caliber of back he is, that he's so down there," Vincent said. "But we're working on some things, and we should be better. We're going back to our bread and butter, and it's going to be exciting."

Just dumped Lewis and Trent for a Caddy and a Plummer. Happy with the choice, but I agree Jamal will get better. (From my persective it is the only direction he can go). The big thing I saw in the 2 BALT games was not the BALT defense or lack of passing attack, but that BALT's opponents were making first contact with Jamal in the backfield. BALT's blocking is the problem here folks. Whether this can be corrected with lead-blocker formations or better play calling remains to be seen.

He gets his fullback Ricard back this week.  He was inactive for the first 2 games and Lewis obviously struggled.  The Ravens ran a lot of 1 back formations and even used an H-back to block.  These formations were unfamiliar to JLew as he has always relied upon a fullback.  I don't expect a huge game from him this week, but 80 yards and a TD should set a lot of people's minds at ease.

1027400[/snapback]

Good info here!!! :D

I hope you're right. I have Lewis in a couple of leagues, and, needless to say, he's been killing me!!! :D

Thanks for the article.. thats exactly what I wanted to hear. Bal realizes they need to pound the ball a lot more and they intend to do just that.

If they cant get it done now it shouldnt be for a lack of trying and we should have a handle on what we have.. enough of the hoisting 60 passes.

I am nervous but think that this week will be worth the wait. I am an owner and built my team around him.

He needs to prove his worth and knows it. I look for a hugh game this week.

If not now....WHEN?

:D