[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who are the best 3 CB's in the NFL.

Shotgun Messiahs

Homer pick here, but I think he deserves a lot of credit...Nate Clements.

He will likely be paid as the highest CB after this year. Either by Buffalo or by another team. Theres a lot of talk that theyll franchise him then trade him. 1st round pick? Dont count it out.

...Theres a lot of talk that theyll franchise him then trade him. 1st round pick? Dont count it out.

1091155[/snapback]

Has this ever happened? Franchising a player then trading him?

It seems to me that no team would want to give up a first round pick for another team's franchise player since by definition the franchise player becomes a free agent at the end of the next season and there is no guarantee he would sign with the team that traded for him. And they can't negotiate with him ahead of time. I can't imagine this happens often, if ever.

Has this ever happened?  Franchising a player then trading him?

It seems to me that no team would want to give up a first round pick for another team's franchise player since by definition the franchise player becomes a free agent at the end of the next season and there is no guarantee he would sign with the team that traded for him.  And they can't negotiate with him ahead of time.  I can't imagine this happens often, if ever.

1091204[/snapback]

The Panthers traded two first rounders for a D-lineman. Sean Gilbert, I think. He was franchised by the Redskins and traded to the Panthers in the off-season.

Clements is definitely one of the the top cornerbacks. I'd take him over Champ Bailey. I also like Ronde Barber, Eugene Wilson, and Dunta Robinson. Aaron Glenn was always on my list until this year. He was always very underrated. Charles Tillman, Rashean Mathis, and DeAngelo Hall are up and comers.

Has this ever happened?  Franchising a player then trading him?

It seems to me that no team would want to give up a first round pick for another team's franchise player since by definition the franchise player becomes a free agent at the end of the next season and there is no guarantee he would sign with the team that traded for him.  And they can't negotiate with him ahead of time.  I can't imagine this happens often, if ever.

1091204[/snapback]

Didn't the 49ers try to do this with TO. i don't think it went through though.

The Panthers traded two first rounders for a D-lineman.  Sean Gilbert, I think.  He was franchised by the Redskins and traded to the Panthers in the off-season.

Clements is definitely one of the the top cornerbacks.  I'd take him over Champ Bailey.  I also like Ronde Barber, Eugene Wilson, and  Dunta Robinson.  Aaron Glenn was always on my list until this year.  He was always very underrated. Charles Tillman, Rashean Mathis, and DeAngelo Hall are up and comers.

1093272[/snapback]

Actually, I don't think that was a trade. Franchise players are allowed to negotiate with other teams during the offseason, after they are franchised. However, if they sign with another team, the team that signs them must compensate the other team with two first round picks.

A team may be willing to give up two first round picks for a player they have reached a contract agreement with. (As in the case above.)

But I don't see a team giving up a first round pick for a player with a 1 franchise year deal who they haven't been able to negotiate with ahead of time. That's why you never see any franchise players being traded. Maybe it has happened, but I can't think of any examples.