[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Comeback Player of the Year

muck

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention the loss of a child, :D  something I hope I never have to endure.  God bless his son.

Having said that S. Smith is hands down the comeback player.

1230993[/snapback]

Dang I did not know JJ lost a child...what happened?

Steve Smith and Joey Galloway.  I like Anderson, but come on, it was just his turn in Denver.

Smith has to get it.

1231003[/snapback]

Steve Smith has been incredible, Joey too, but Anderson also came back from a pretty terrible quad injury that required surgery...he done a great job this year and if Bell was not behind him he'd have even better stats...of course Bells stats would be better too if Anderson were not infront of him.

Dang I did not know JJ lost a child...what happened?

1233680[/snapback]

He was born premature with developmental problems. I think his lungs didn't form properly, and complications from that caused his death a month or two after he was born.

Koren Robinson was lucky to even get a job after being cut by Seattle.  He turned it around when everyone gave up on him, and now he's in the Pro Bowl.

Koren should by CPOY.

1231027[/snapback]

In order to be comeback player of the year would you have to have been a good player first? Are we talking about comeback player or most improved?

The five-year veteran, whose once-promising NFL career was nearly ruined by a pair of catastrophic knee injuries while playing with the Arizona Cardinals, is certainly making good on his second chance. And making Tennessee officials, who plucked him off the unrestricted free-agent scrap heap this spring, look very good, indeed.

For an investment of just $540,000, the league minimum base salary for a player with four seasons of accrued tenure, the Titans are getting maximum return on the dollar, and then some. All because they were willing to give Vanden Bosch, a player who collected nearly as many surgical scars as sacks in his first four seasons, a chance to get his career back on track.

screw the offensive glamour boys, here is your winner

Kyle Vanden Bosch

Says who?

Edit:  And I quote... "The NFL Comeback Player of the Year Award has been given out after every season since 1972, except for 1985 when no winner was selected. The player named Comeback Player of the Year shows perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury or simply poor performance."

Source

1231177[/snapback]

Most Deserving, based on the official criteria?

1) Steve Smith -- his performance upon tops Bruschi and Vanden Bosh, even if Bruschi's injury was a bit more scary from a life/death standpoint. Smith has simply outplayed them. Smith has carried the Panthers and I'm not sure the same can be said about the other three.

2) Vanden Bosh was outside my radar, but 12.5 sacks, 60 tackles, and 3 forced fumbles is great, given what he's been through.

3) Tedy Bruschi -- yep, silliness aside, a heck of an effort: 2 sacks, 58 tackles, 1 forced fumble in a partial season.

4) Joe Vicious -- wow. His numbers are a bit inflated by DJax's absense, but hey, you play the cards you're dealt. I have a soft spot for Joe.

Koren Robinson was lucky to even get a job after being cut by Seattle.  He turned it around when everyone gave up on him, and now he's in the Pro Bowl.

Koren should by CPOY.

1231027[/snapback]

In order to be comeback player of the year would you have to have been a good player first?  Are we talking about comeback player or most improved?

1234117[/snapback]

K-Rob had a 78 catch / 1240 yard season in his second year. What's wrong with that? :D

He still won't win CPOY over Smith or Bruschi though.

Edited by Skrappy1

• 2 weeks later...

Comeback Player of the Year was announced today...Bruschi and Steve Smith share the award for this year. That seems right to me.

Smith, Bruschi share Comeback Player award

NEW YORK (AP) - Tedy Bruschi didn't get a chance to tackle Steve Smith when the Patriots played the Panthers in September. By midseason, he'd made a remarkable comeback from a stroke and was starting for New England.

Bruschi's return was as impressive as Smith's achievement of returning from a broken left leg that cost the Carolina receiver nearly all of the 2004 season. On Thursday, they shared The Associated Press Comeback Player of the Year award.

The Patriots' star linebacker and defensive leader made it back on Oct. 30 after originally expecting to sit out the entire schedule. By then, Smith was on his way to leading the NFL in most receiving categories. Both sparked their teams into the playoffs.

"I'm a football player by trade. That's what I do," Bruschi said. "So I did everything I could to make myself a football player again."

As did Smith.

"I keep stressing that last year put everything in perspective," Smith said. "I felt like football was my whole life. When it was taken away from me, I felt the Lord was teaching me a lesson to not put all my eggs in one basket. ... That's why I am enjoying playing."

Their teams surely enjoyed their contributions, which earned 18 votes each from a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the league. That easily outdistanced Washington quarterback Mark Brunell with six; Tennessee defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch with five; Detroit receiver Roy Williams, Tampa Bay receiver Joey Galloway and Minnesota receiver-kick returner Koren Robinson, each with one vote.

The 32-year-old Bruschi played nine games after recovering from the mild stroke suffered in February, days after playing in his first Pro Bowl and 10 days after helping the Patriots win their third Super Bowl in four years. He later had surgery to repair a small hole in his heart.

He's preferred not to speak much about his comeback, in keeping with the closed-mouth approach of so many Patriots. But he gave some insight into his makeup when he returned Oct. 30 in a win over Buffalo.

"I'm back to doing what I love," Bruschi said. "Sometimes, you've just got to pick yourself off the ground and get back to living your life. That's all I was trying to do."

He missed the season finale against Miami with a calf injury, but has practiced this week and is expected on the field for Saturday night's playoff game with Jacksonville.

His teammates project the same kind of stellar effort in the postseason that Bruschi always has given in his decade of NFL play.

"His instincts are still there and that's what separates him from other linebackers," linebacker Chad Brown said. "He's just got a great feel for what everyone on the defense is doing, how the offense is trying to attack him. And couple that with his great instincts and that's why he makes plays."

Smith has many of the same attributes, and was a key playmaker in Carolina's run to the 2003 NFC championship before losing to the Patriots in the Super Bowl. After sitting out all but the opener in 2004, he was even more sensational this season.

So much so that Smith tied for the most receptions in the league with 103 and led all receivers with 1,563 yards. He scored 13 touchdowns, and also ranked third in the NFC in punt return average (10.6 yards).

"My best quality is my height," he said. "A lot of people think my height is a disadvantage: 'He's only 5-9, he's not capable of all of those things that they say that they ask of other receivers.' I feel I am."

Clearly, he is correct.

CPOY

Edited by Skrappy1