[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Comeback Player of the Year

muck

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit:  And I quote... "The NFL Comeback Player of the Year Award has been given out after every season since 1972, except for 1985 when no winner was selected. The player named Comeback Player of the Year shows perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury or simply poor performance."

Source

1231177[/snapback]

Good info here! :D

While he hasn't lit the world on fire, Kurt Warner deserves a little recognition too. He's become a somewhat legit QB again. Imagine what he could do on a team with an O-line and a running game.

1231201[/snapback]

I don't think Warner deserves the award but definately deserves recognition.

Even while he was with the Giants last year I thought he proved he meant something when he was behind the center for them. he did the same this year with the Cards. He can still QB and like you said if he could get on a team with a good o-line he could be a very dangerous QB next year.

I agree with the consensus, Steve Smith should definitely win.

I think Bruschi, Galloway, and even Terry Glenn (he only needs about 140 yards and 1 more TD over the last 2 games to have the best season of his entire career) should get some runner-up votes too.

Edited by Skrappy1

Says who?

Edit:  And I quote... "The NFL Comeback Player of the Year Award has been given out after every season since 1972, except for 1985 when no winner was selected. The player named Comeback Player of the Year shows perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury or simply poor performance."

Source

1231177[/snapback]

Fair enough. TO can win it next year then.

Kyle Vanden Bosch...not one mention of this guy. look at that stat line, light years different than in 2004

YEAR	TEAM  G  TOT  SOLO  AST  PD  SACK  FF  2004  ARI  16 13    11    2   0    0    0  2005  TEN  14 60    37   23   1    13   3  

Kyle Vanden Bosch...not one mention of this guy. look at that stat line, light years different than in 2004

YEAR	TEAM  G  TOT  SOLO  AST  PD  SACK  FF  2004  ARI  16 13    11    2   0    0    0  2005  TEN  14 60    37   23   1    13   3  

1231303[/snapback]

Juiced...test him. :D

It should be SSmith in a landslide..... however, it won't be..... The guy in NE has all the press and media love. A good time story that tugs at the heart strings. He doesn't even need to produce very much... just being on the field is enough.

And whether we like it or not... whether we like him or not..... coming back from a stroke to hit the field IS pretty impressive.

Don't see any way that he doesn't win the award.

Candidates mentioned:

Kurt Warner

Brad Johnson

Drew Bledsoe

Mark Brunell

Mike Anderson

Thomas Jones

Ricky Williams

Steve Smith

Joey Galloway

Santata Moss

Joe Jurevicius

Koren Robinson

Neil Rackers

Tedy Bruschi

Kyle Vanden Bosch

IMO, Koren Robinson and Tedy Bruschi have come back from the biggest hole ... meaning, as of the NFL draft, NO ONE was expecting them to do much for their teams this year. The others are very noteworthy, but didn't come from as far out of left field as the others.

Sure Steve Smith has put up big numbers, and yes, he did come back from a badly broken leg ... but, last spring, everyone was expecting him to come back and be a very good WR this year.

Koren Robinson wasn't even on a team for a huge hunk of the year.

Tedy Bruschi had a stroke and was semi-retired until mid season.

No one was expecting any contribution from these guys, and KRob made the pro-bowl? That is an impressive comeback. The most impressive, as a matter of fact.

Steve Smith should probably win, and Galloway is a nice choice as well.

But there's someone who hasn't even been mentioned when last year all I was reading about here and just about everywhere else after his slow start and injury that he was overhyped overrated and never going to be what was promised:

The Brian Urlacher Monster.

Deserves consideration, although I grant Smith put together the most electrifying run of games I have EVER seen a WR put together. That includes Rice's monster year (though faded a bit from memory) and Moss' rookie one. THe play where he juked one guy on the screen and went 80 for the TD, and the next week where he went over the middle on the phins and stiff armed 3-4 tacklers to go yard shows he could do it either way. I've never seen a player do BOTH. Usually it's one or the other (Keyshawn or Moss) and he did both.

But Urlacher deserves very fair consideration since everyone basically wrote him off last year as overhyped.

Steve Smith should probably win, and Galloway is a nice choice as well.

But there's someone who hasn't even been mentioned when last year all I was reading about here and just about everywhere else after his slow start and injury that he was overhyped overrated and never going to be what was promised:

The Brian Urlacher Monster.

Deserves consideration, although I grant Smith put together the most electrifying run of games I have EVER seen a WR put together. That includes Rice's monster year (though faded a bit from memory) and Moss' rookie one. THe play where he juked one guy on the screen and went 80 for the TD, and the next week where he went over the middle on the phins and stiff armed 3-4 tacklers to go yard shows he could do it either way. I've never seen a player do BOTH. Usually it's one or the other (Keyshawn or Moss) and he did both.

But Urlacher deserves very fair consideration since everyone basically wrote him off last year as overhyped.

1231678[/snapback]

Jerome Bettis' speed bump?

Jerome Bettis' speed bump?

1231683[/snapback]

Yeah, that's the guy. :D

I'd say it's time to start laying some smack about what type of speed bump he'd be if your boys came to ChiTown for a playoff game, but you guys will be lucky to be in the running next week so I'll back off.

Edited by Pope Flick

Candidates mentioned:

Kurt Warner

Brad Johnson

Drew Bledsoe

Mark Brunell

Mike Anderson

Thomas Jones

Ricky Williams

Steve Smith

Joey Galloway

Santata Moss

Joe Jurevicius

Koren Robinson

Neil Rackers

Tedy Bruschi

Kyle Vanden Bosch

IMO, Koren Robinson and Tedy Bruschi have come back from the biggest hole ... meaning, as of the NFL draft, NO ONE was expecting them to do much for their teams this year.  The others are very noteworthy, but didn't come from as far out of left field as the others.

Sure Steve Smith has put up big numbers, and yes, he did come back from a badly broken leg ... but, last spring, everyone was expecting him to come back and be a very good WR this year.

Koren Robinson wasn't even on a team for a huge hunk of the year.

Tedy Bruschi had a stroke and was semi-retired until mid season.

No one was expecting any contribution from these guys, and KRob made the pro-bowl?  That is an impressive comeback.  The most impressive, as a matter of fact.

1231666[/snapback]

:D The NFL Comeback Player of the Year has nothing to do with expectations.

Again:

The NFL Comeback Player of the Year Award has been given out after every season since 1972, except for 1985 when no winner was selected. The player named Comeback Player of the Year shows perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury or simply poor performance.

Link