[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"tipping"

Jackass

That makes sense to me T_Bone.  He is providing something for his entry fee.  The guy I went to provided nothing other than a basement to play in.

1247140[/snapback]

That I could understand not going back to again.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My first thought also was cow tipping. If it's going to be mandatory from the winner, then it ought to be in the rules in advance -- kind of like a restaurant that states at the bottom of the menu that it will automatically add a tip for parties of 6 or more. Tell the other guys that they can tip the commish if they want, but to stop telling you what to do with your winnings!

I wouldn't tip a commish, ever. Period. No way. We equally contribute to pay for the stats service, but don't pay the commish. And, again, if it were to become a paying job, then put it in the rules.

I have never heard of 'tipping your commissioner'.

Having said that ... more that several years ago in my local league I pushed for adding a commissioner's salary to the payout structure. The commissioner does a ton of work AND hosts the draft party. So in my local league the commissioner has his entry fee paid as part of the deal.

I have never heard of 'tipping your commissioner'.

Having said that ... more that several years ago in my local league I pushed for adding a commissioner's salary to the payout structure.  The commissioner does a ton of work AND hosts the draft party.  So in my local league the commissioner has his entry fee paid as part of the deal.

1247153[/snapback]

I commish my local and some suggested I should get free entry because of the work and arranging the draft. I don't see this as work, it's trivially easy and I enjoy it, so I turned them down. I'd hate to win money on something I'd staked nothing on.

I commish my local and some suggested I should get free entry because of the work and arranging the draft.  I don't see this as work, it's trivially easy and I enjoy it, so I turned them down.  I'd hate to win money on something I'd staked nothing on.

1247178[/snapback]

yup

In local leagues.....I don't see any reason why the league doesn't just hold back a percentage FOR the draft party AND the end of the year party.

As far as tipping the commish.....I guess I can see it in years past when stats were done by hand, etc. And if you have computer illiterates that call you on Sunday mornings to enter their lineups for them......LOL. :D

But I'd have to say that as a commish.....I'd feel funny if my entrance fee was waived....then I won it all. :D And taking a tip directly might make me feel like a bookie. :D

I commish my local and some suggested I should get free entry because of the work and arranging the draft.  I don't see this as work, it's trivially easy and I enjoy it, so I turned them down.  I'd hate to win money on something I'd staked nothing on.

1247178[/snapback]

Easily the hardest thing I have to do each year is arrange the draft date. I spend countless hours attempting to juggle everybody's schedule. I have tried and tried to set a hard and fast date, but the league won't go for it.

Then until last year I had to spend several hours a week managing the waiver wire.

In any case I never really play for free as I almost always one of the top two in transaction fees.

In my old local there's a dude who used to be in the league that ran and probably still runs the draft. He likes to see everybody and he gets to eat and drink for free. His tab was covered by that year's commish who played for free. Worked out well for us. Of course the free booze and food was a fee not a tip. I'd tell the losers to all dig into their pockets and kick a little to the commish if they are so worried.

Easily the hardest thing I have to do each year is arrange the draft date.  I spend countless hours attempting to juggle everybody's schedule.  I have tried and tried to set a hard and fast date, but the league won't go for it.

1247193[/snapback]

I hear you on this, it's the absolute worst to try to manage.

Last year, we drafted even before preseason. :D

I run a local league exactly as Whomper describes:

Multiple owners without computers.

I input every transaction manually (including some lineups).

I've been doing it for 6 years now and have never been tipped/had a free entry/etc and I don't expect it.

A beer now and then would be nice... :D

Easily the hardest thing I have to do each year is arrange the draft date.  I spend countless hours attempting to juggle everybody's schedule.  I have tried and tried to set a hard and fast date, but the league won't go for it.

Then until last year I had to spend several hours a week managing the waiver wire.

In any case I never really play for free as I almost always one of the top two in transaction fees.

1247193[/snapback]

I hear you on this, it's the absolute worst to try to manage.

Last year, we drafted even before preseason.  :D

1247208[/snapback]

I never have any trouble with it. Locally, we have a few bars that will give you free beer and food if you have your FF draft with them, so there's a ton of incentive to make yourself available.

The trick is to send out the date options to everyone early, reduce the replies to a single date with a backup date if possible, confirm the final date, book the venue and then send nag messages at least weekly. We have had one or two cases of people sending a sub because of last minute issues, but the whole process works very well for us overall.

I get a free team for commisioning my main local so I dont expect any tips..

1246838[/snapback]

That was how my old local worked when i was the commish...

I also recd a tip from a champion once and it wasnt expected but was appreciated

The trick is to send out the date options to everyone early, reduce the replies to a single date with a backup date if possible, confirm the final date, book the venue and then send nag messages at least weekly.  We have had one or two cases of people sending a sub because of last minute issues, but the whole process works very well for us overall.

1247249[/snapback]

:D

If it were so easy. I literally start trying for a date in June and typically the date isn't finalized until the week before the draft (which typically happens sometime in August).

In any pool I am in that I win I always tip 10% to whoever ran it. Quite often they don't take it but I offer nonetheless. I just think that the person took the time and effort to coordinate this pool deserves to get something in return.

For Fantasy Football I also have tipped 10% of my winnings, although in a couple of my leagues I was wining like $800 so after I gave him $80 I kept thinking to myself that was too much. This year I will probably give him $20. In my other league that I co-commish I have offered about 5% to the other commish but he never accepts.

There's no tipping in our league. Our standing rule is that the champ for the current year becomes the Commish for the next year. As we say, that's his punishment for winning the league and he gets to wear the "kick me" sign the next year.

The winner has no obligations, but as a courtesy, most of them try to pay for pizza or doughnuts at the draft for the next year.

I recently won a 1600 survivor pool and I tipped the guy 100 bucks.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion regarding the free team but to me I dont see why a person should feel funny being compensated for a ton of work while the rest of the league just runs their team and calls it a day. I took over my main local to save our league since the last commish left us in shambles not for the free team.

Just look at any given day during the season how many threads are on the main board that are commissioners looking for advice on how to solve a headache. Its a pretty thankless job.

I recently won a 1600 survivor pool and I tipped the guy 100 bucks. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion regarding the free team but to me I dont see why a person should feel funny being compensated for a ton of work while the rest of the league just runs their team and calls it a day. I took over my main local to save our league since the last commish left us in shambles not for the free team.

Just look at any given day during the season how many threads are on the main board that are commissioners looking for advice on how to solve a headache. Its a pretty thankless job.

1247353[/snapback]

Most of those threads are trade issues and/or the lack of written rules. Write proper rules and get them agreed by all and the headaches disappear.

Whether my league is an exception or not I don't know, but we never seem to have any problems at all. :D

I get a free team for commisioning my main local so I dont expect any tips..

1246838[/snapback]

We do a similar thing. We play on Yahoo and pay fo rthe premium league with stat tracker. The commish either pays for the team but not the extra for the stat tracker, or vice versa. the rest of the league essentially picks up the rest. It's an inexpensive league though.

In my other league, the semi-official commish is the guy who works for Stats.com where the league is based. It's more of a self-policing league though and very little is required by the commish other then collecting money, setting a time for the draft, and payouts at the end of the year.

Most of those threads are trade issues and/or the lack of written rules.  Write proper rules and get them agreed by all and the headaches disappear.Whether my league is an exception or not I don't know, but we never seem to have any problems at all.  :D

1247405[/snapback]

True. and our rules are very clear..I guess it depends on the personalities of the people in your league. The manual waiver wire alone is a pain in the neck every friday..Carrying the uncomputer savvy guys is brutal. Then you have to fight off the guys that want to rewrite the rules. and one major thing I forgot is collecting money..That is a task in itself..I dont allow any transactions until the league entry fee is paid..That causes a lot of headaches but my league winners get paid 2 days after they win which noone complains about..I have about 3 or 4 troublemakers and the rest of the guys are pretty easy..But the troublemaker "cell" is a handful.