[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This coming from a HUGH Favre fan

Guest Sores

I'm sitting here wondering how his game would transfer to the NFL. His running style is much more smooth than Vick's, but seems to have great speed. And, he's a more accurate passer. Plus he's 6'5". He will not have the success Vick has had running the ball in the NFL, IMO. Theres a lot of confusion on whether or not he'll be returning to Texas next year. Probably depends on the outcome of this game.

Edited by CaptainHook

I'm sitting here wondering how his game would transfer to the NFL.  His running style is much more smooth than Vick's, but seems to have great speed. And, he's a more accurate passer.  Plus he's 6'5".  He will not have the success Vick has had running the ball in the NFL, IMO.  Theres a lot of confusion on whether or not he'll be returning to Texas next year.  Probably depends on the outcome of this game.

1248642[/snapback]

Not really. He said before the game that he would return to Texas. Mack Brown has never lost an underclassman to the NFL, as crazy as that sounds.

If I were him, I would have an agent on tap already and starting to pack my suitcase. I know his mother wants him to get a college education, but his freaking signing bonus alone will set him up for life.

Lets see

Vince has the power of Culpepper,  elusiveness of Vick with less speed, more accurate than McNabb and the heart of Steve Young or Brett Favre.

1248807[/snapback]

But he is, of course, untried in the NFL, as are all college kids. There's no such thing as a 100% surefire success going from college to the pros. He has the tools, or seems to, but does he have the mental attitude? :D Attitude and smarts are the differentiators amongst QBs.

This thread reminds me of Heath Schuler who was phenomenal in college and was drafted by the Redskins. At that time the Redskins were in deep trouble, and they put it all on that poor kid's shoulders. They threw him into the mix right off the bat and then stood back and put it all on him! He didn't have a chance. He was sacked and pummled all the time. He went to the Saints, and then who knows where after that. He was a talented kid who had the misfortune to enter the NFL in the wrong way. You can't judge an NFL rookie by how he did in college. It's not how you end your college career that counts---- it's how you begin your NFL career.

This thread reminds me of Heath Schuler who was phenomenal in college and was drafted by the Redskins. At that time the Redskins were in deep trouble, and they put it all on that poor kid's shoulders. They threw him into the mix right off the bat and then stood back and put it all on him! He didn't have a chance. He was sacked and pummled all the time. He went to the Saints, and then who knows where after that. He was a talented kid who had the misfortune to enter the NFL in the wrong way. You can't judge an NFL rookie by how he did in college. It's not how you end your college career that counts---- it's how you begin your NFL career.

1248855[/snapback]

Heath Schuler couldn't catch Vince Young to even try and sniff his jockstrap. Very poor comparison.

Who was the last wildley successful running QB? Yes he's tall and has a great arm but so is Aaron brooks and we all know where he has wound up . Or do we? Leinart is still the better QB in my opinion!

1248880[/snapback]

That would be Steve Young imo although Vick has had a good record winning games.

Young should go pro without a second thought ... his value couldn't be higher.

However, if the Packers draft him wouldn't they be giving up on their first rounder last year who already has a year of camp and practices under his belt? Many projected Rogers to be the 1st QB taken last year and when he wasn't he dropped pretty far in the draft. GB jumped all over him when they could have used O-Line help.

If I were him, I would have an agent on tap already and starting to pack my suitcase. I know his mother wants him to get a college education, but his freaking signing bonus alone will set him up for life.

1248793[/snapback]

Young should go pro without a second thought ... his value couldn't be higher.

However, if the Packers draft him wouldn't they be giving up on their first rounder last year who already has a year of camp and practices under his belt?  Many projected Rogers to be the 1st QB taken last year and when he wasn't he dropped pretty far in the draft.  GB jumped all over him when they could have used O-Line help.

1248999[/snapback]

yup and yup

after that display he could go 1

But he is, of course, untried in the NFL, as are all college kids.  There's no such thing as a 100% surefire success going from college to the pros.  He has the tools, or seems to, but does he have the mental attitude?  :D  Attitude and smarts are the differentiators amongst QBs.

1248827[/snapback]

He definitely has the right mental attitude. He has led many a 4th quater comeback. He will get in the face of anyone on the team if they screw up, but at the same time pat them on the back for a job well done. He isn't a primadonna, but rather a truely humble person.

He definitely has the right mental attitude.  He has led many a 4th quater comeback.  He will get in the face of anyone on the team if they screw up, but at the same time pat them on the back for a job well done.  He isn't a primadonna, but rather a truely humble person.

1249004[/snapback]

Cool. And no posse or idiot family, I assume, since his Mom wants him to get a college education? Sounds like he's a better bet than the last cretin to emerge from Texas, some guy called Cedric something or other. :D

He definitely has the right mental attitude.  He has led many a 4th quater comeback.  He will get in the face of anyone on the team if they screw up, but at the same time pat them on the back for a job well done.  He isn't a primadonna, but rather a truely humble person.

1249004[/snapback]

must not be form texassssss :D

Cool.  And no posse or idiot family, I assume, since his Mom wants him to get a college education?  Sounds like he's a better bet than the last cretin to emerge from Texas, some guy called Cedric something or other.  :D

1249011[/snapback]

You must be thinkin of the Benson fellow...you know the one from "Soap"?

VY should go pro now and get his education later if he feels like it. You have to go pro when your value is at it's peak. If USC wins last night, then Young should give it one more year. The chance to go #2 or #3 is too much to pass up. Look at the position Leinart is now in. Go into the NFL last year and go #1 to SF and stay in Cali. Wait one more year (so you can take ballroom dancing? and try to win your 3rd championship and fail and now he may not be the first QB taken if Young goes in too. Too many things can happen by waiting one more year, especially when you're at your peak. Young goes to the Titans at #1 after TEN trades with HOU, McNair plays one more year, and Volek gets traded.

Vince Young = Michael Bishop?

Probably not since Young has more talent, but wouldn't suprise me.

1248995[/snapback]

Everyone keeps comparing him to Vick, Bishop, etc. Those guys are barely 6' tall. Vince is 6'5" (230 lbs) which makes a big difference when playing QB and trying to see over those big lineman. I can't speak to Bishop's skills, but I saw Vick play a lot when he was at VT. And as explosive as he could be he was never as good a passer as Young is.

Now I didn't see him play a lot this season, but what I saw last night was impressive. This guy can throw the ball. While SC caught him off guard in the second half when they started blitzing heavily, he didn't panic and throw INTs. His throws were accurate and on time. If this is how he plays "raw" then I woudn't want to face him after a couple of seasons under a good NFL QB coach.

Everyone keeps comparing him to Vick, Bishop, etc.  Those guys are barely 6' tall.  Vince is 6'5" (230 lbs) which makes a big difference when playing QB and trying to see over those big lineman. I can't speak to Bishop's skills, but I saw Vick play a lot when he was at VT.  And as explosive as he could be he was never as good a passer as Young is. 

Now I didn't see him play a lot this season, but what I saw last night was impressive.  This guy can throw the ball.  While SC caught him off guard in the second half when they started blitzing heavily, he didn't panic and throw INTs.  His throws were accurate and on time.  If this is how he plays "raw" then I woudn't want to face him after a couple of seasons under a good NFL QB coach.

1249154[/snapback]

I haven't seen him a ton either but from what I've seen he is a better passer.

Just thought I'd throw out the Bishop angle since I heard it recently and we drafted him in NE believing all the hype.

Everyone keeps saying he's accurate, NCAA accurate has NOTHING to do with being NFL accurate, he plays poor D's all season, college DB's give a WR a 10'Sq.ft margin of error. Young would be lunch for NFL DB's and LB's. He'll be as big flop at the next level as Ryan Leaf and be fortunate to start half as many games as Leaf did.

Reminds me of the hype of A.Smith for the Bengals.

Edited by theeohiostate

Everyone keeps saying he's accurate, NCAA accurate has NOTHING to do with being NFL accurate, he plays poor D's all season, college DB's give a WR a 10'Sq.ft margin of error.  Young would be lunch for NFL DB's and LB's.  He'll be as big flop at the next level as Ryan Leaf and be fortunate to start half as many games as Leaf did.

1249377[/snapback]

He completed 75% of his passes against the team that was ranked #1 in the Nation, the same team you said would blow out Texas. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Everyone keeps saying he's accurate, NCAA accurate has NOTHING to do with being NFL accurate, he plays poor D's all season, college DB's give a WR a 10'Sq.ft margin of error.  Young would be lunch for NFL DB's and LB's.  He'll be as big flop at the next level as Ryan Leaf and be fortunate to start half as many games as Leaf did.

1249377[/snapback]

A FLOP :D

Did you see the game last night, he won the National Championship by himself. To compare him to Leaf is just insane.

1249377[/snapback]

I'll give you this. When you talk about accuracy for a QB prospect you can't base it simply on completion percentage. Like you said most college teams are lucky to have one DB that is capable of playing in the NFL. A lot of QBs come out of spread offenses with gaudy completion percentages, but their throws are all 5-yard screens. You have to see them play. Are recievers constantly having to adjust to his throws? Does he hit recievers in stride? make it easy for them to catch the ball? From what I saw last night, Young is able to do that. Granted this isn't based on a lot of evidence. I didn't see him play much throughout the season. Was it an aberration or a has he played like that all season?

Let's look at another QB that got quite a bit of hype this season: Brady Quinn. A lot of analysts seem enamored with how he's developed under Weis, but if you watched ND this season you saw Samardzija and Stovall making a lot of great catches on what appeared to be some poor throws/decisions. Passes that wouldn't be completed against NFL defensive backs.