[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Worst superbowl winning team ever?

Luger

Seattle

Denver

Pittsburgh

Carolina

Chicago

The best teams of 2005, one of them will win the Superbowl. Not one of these teams are dominant, and think they would match up poorly against any of the superbowl winning teams of the past 10-20 years.

This is truely the year of a bunch of good but not great teams.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll agree the 90 giants overachieved vs the Niners and the Bills.

I would argue the 2001 pats did as well vs raiders and St louis.

But I'd take both of them over any of these 5 teams.

1267661[/snapback]

Talent-wise, no way I'd take them over any of the remaining teams except Chicago (and maybe Carolina).

Coaching-wise, this year is the one that could make or break Shanny and Holmgren's legacies. Both are good, a SB win by either puts them up on the shelf with Parcells, still short of Belicheck.

Not one of these teams are dominant, and think they would match up poorly against any of the superbowl winning teams of the past 10-20 years. 

1267639[/snapback]

Sounds like someone's team got squashed... :D

Talent-wise, no way I'd take them over any of the remaining teams except Chicago (and maybe Carolina).

Coaching-wise, this year is the one that could make or break Shanny and Holmgren's legacies. Both are good, a SB win by either puts them up on the shelf with Parcells, still short of Belicheck.

1267670[/snapback]

you picked an odd day to be ranking shanny behind belicheck. :D

you picked an odd day to be ranking shanny behind belicheck.  :D

1267683[/snapback]

Shanahan is a heck of a coach, but the fact is he hasn't won jack or squat since losing TD and Johnny Bronco. I think it's pretty inarguable that Belicheck has done more with less.

Shanahan is a heck of a coach, but the fact is he hasn't won jack or squat since losing TD and Johnny Bronco. I think it's pretty inarguable that Belicheck has done more with less.

1267694[/snapback]

well belicheck hasn't won squat without brady. or weiss or crennel. or ty law or any number of perrenial pro-bowlers they have on defense.

shanahan just kicked belichek's ass with jake plummer and tatum bell.

Edited by Azazello1313

1267701[/snapback]

So now you base your rankings of coaches on single-game results?

well belicheck hasn't won squat without brady.  or weiss or crennel.  or ty law or any number of perrenial pro-bowlers they have on defense.

1267701[/snapback]

What has Shanny won without Romo?

Edited by Randall

your assertion that belicheck has done more is also based on a single-game result, is it not?  3 SBs to 2, that's a single game no?

1267723[/snapback]

It's not based solely on that.

3 SB wins to 2 certainly plays a part; 11-2 overall in the playoffs to Shanny's 8-4 is a nice edge as well. 4 division titles in the past 5 years to to 3 over the past 11 for Shanny is another edge to Belicheck. And as far as making chicken salad out of chicken crap, Belicheck took the 1994 Cleveland Browns to a playoff berth. Look at those offensive skill players. :D

It IS nice to see you get your back up over the fact that I give a coach an edge based on several fairly objective measures over yer guy. Shanny is still better than probably 28 of the other guys on any given day.

Didn't Denver make it to the SB with a 7-7 record once? Not a winning team though.

1267764[/snapback]

:D No. Their only SB appearence prior to the NFL changing to a 16-game schedule was in 1977, where they had a 12-2 record.

It IS nice to see you get your back up over the fact that I give a coach an edge based on several fairly objective measures over yer guy.

1267743[/snapback]

This was objective and measurable?

Shanahan is a heck of a coach, but the fact is he hasn't won jack or squat since losing TD and Johnny Bronco.

1267694[/snapback]

Shanahan hasn't had a losing season since 1999 in a consistently tough division. We are going to the AFC championship game this year.

We have won plenty without Davis and Elway. What has Bellicheck done without Rodney Harrison? According to your objective measure... he hasn't done won squat (since winning records and making the playoffs doesn't count).

Edited by AtomicCEO

It IS nice to see you get your back up over the fact that I give a coach an edge based on several fairly objective measures over yer guy. Shanny is still better than probably 28 of the other guys on any given day.

1267743[/snapback]

your "objective measure" was that shanahan hasnt won without elway. besides, i didn't say you were wrong, i only said that you picked an odd day to express that sentiment. sorta like if you came out today saying peyton manning is the best QB of the last 20 years. you may have "objective measures" to back it up, but it doesn't quite resonate when they just fell flat on their face.

Exactly- stupid post, espcially since we are not even at NFC championship weekend. The best teams won, as for Indy- the playoffs are all about momentum- Indy had none and Pitt looked like the more aggressive, better all around team today anyway. Denver handled the Pats pretty easily- I think Sea,Den,Pitt, Car are all good solid teams, and one of them is winning it all. As for their place in history?? who cares- it will be SB Champ XL.

Exactly- stupid post, espcially since we are not even at NFC championship weekend. The best teams won, as for Indy- the playoffs are all about momentum- Indy had none and Pitt looked like the more aggressive, better all around team today anyway. Denver handled the Pats pretty easily- I think Sea,Den,Pitt, Car are all good solid teams, and one of them is winning it all. As for their place in history?? who cares- it will be SB Champ XL.

1268095[/snapback]

Darn right. All four of these teams have earned their place. To say that they aren't "dominant" enough to rank up with Superbowl champs is sour grapes.

Who belongs there if these teams don't?

13-3 isn't dominant enough? :D

Seattle

Denver

Pittsburgh

Carolina

Chicago

The best teams of 2005, one of them will win the Superbowl.  Not one of these teams are dominant, and think they would match up poorly against any of the superbowl winning teams of the past 10-20 years. 

1267639[/snapback]

seattle lost only 2 games all year. denver lost 3, and just knocked off the two-time defending champs. pittsburgh just throttled a team many were calling one of the best teams ever not long ago. carolina is a team NOBODY wants to face right now. stop sucking on those sour grapes long enough to give a little credit where credit is due.