[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ben Roethlisberger

The Holy Roller

I haven't checked all the threads so if this is hot somewhere else, just shoot me.

IMHO the most significant play in the Colts-Steelers games was Roethlisberger's tackle to save a TD on the fumble recovery. Simply amazing! If he wiffs (which in my opinion was 99% likely, or just injures himself, ala Bulger) the game is over and Indy DOES take that momentum to win the XXL Bowl.

Some players just win! Aikman, Montana, Bart Starr, come to mind. Is Big Ben the next big time winner?

i have to admit i love the guy.  i'd be very stoked if my team had him slated to be the QB for the next 10+ years.

1268494[/snapback]

you and me both...it's almost freakish how calm he looks in the pocket. He just keeps getting better...which is starting to freak me out even more.

I'm glad he aint in the NFC...he'da stole Delhommes hard earned Pro Bowl spot :D

His two year record as a starter is currently 27-3.

Is there anyone with a better winning percentage?

1268531[/snapback]

including playoffs?

that's unreal..he's so used to winning he's gonna FLIP THE F OUT when the Steelers have a losing season...well, if they have a losing season. he might end up like Favre, not having one until his billionth year...

Not to say "I told you so", but, I really am glad that he is starting to get some recognition. I feel like I spend so many weeks defending him on here, because, honestly, I think a lot of people just look at stats and think he is just the dreaded "system" QB, but, he does so much for this team with his presence in the pocket, his used of his legs to create plays, and his continued, gradual improvement. He is still young, and sometimes makes rookie mistakes, but he has already become clearly one of the leaders of this team, which is what you want from your QB.

Not to say "I told you so", but, I really am glad that he is starting to get some recognition.  I feel like I spend so many weeks defending him on here, because, honestly, I think a lot of people just look at stats and think he is just the dreaded "system" QB, but, he does so much for this team with his presence in the pocket, his used of his legs to create plays, and his continued, gradual improvement.  He is still young, and sometimes makes rookie mistakes, but he has already become clearly one of the leaders of this team, which is what you want from your QB.

1268569[/snapback]

I said it last year ... I like Big Ben and would love to see him with a star on his helmet.

The 'Chin' came into Indy with a pretty good game plan and beat the team everyone was picking to win the superbowl. Congrats to the Steelers. I will be rooting for the Steelers to win it all now. Why, I guess because of Jerome Bettis. He's had a pretty good career and I'd like to see him finish it with a superbowl ring. I was still rooting for Indy late in the game because I had quite a few Colts players on my playoff roster(definitely done now with this loss,oh well). My playoff hopes rised whe Bettis fumbled the ball only to have them dashed by a kicker who's been pretty consistent. I'm sure Jerome was at an all time low after Indy advancd the fumble and with Manning at QB they definitely had a chance to score a td and pull out an amazing win. They seemed surely to at least send the game into to overtime with a FG but alas Vandershank goes wide right. I'm sure Bettis was the happiest player on the Pittsburgh bench at that point. The Gods were surely smiling on him. With that said I'm hoping the Gods continue to smile on Bettis and give him his superbowl ring that he has longed for. It would be a fitting end to a great career. Go Jerome and hang on to the darn ball!!!

Not to say "I told you so", but, I really am glad that he is starting to get some recognition.  I feel like I spend so many weeks defending him on here, because, honestly, I think a lot of people just look at stats and think he is just the dreaded "system" QB, but, he does so much for this team with his presence in the pocket, his used of his legs to create plays, and his continued, gradual improvement.  He is still young, and sometimes makes rookie mistakes, but he has already become clearly one of the leaders of this team, which is what you want from your QB.

1268569[/snapback]

i'd rather have carson palmer though :D

Hats off to Ben and the way he played. He is very calm and has had a great record to this point. If Denver wins next weekend and Pit is now 0-2 in the last 2 AFC Championship games do we start to talk about Ben along with Marino, Peyton et al? It will be interesting to see how the Steelers "system" is next year without the Bus back there.

I've often thought that the Steelers have been a solid QB away from winning a Super Bowl since Cowher has been the Steeler's head coach.... now they have a QB capable of winning a Super Bowl. It might not be this year, but I believe Roethlisberger will win at least one Super Bowl before his career is done. Hopefully, it will be more.

It's a little off topic, but Cowher has brought the Steelers to the AFC Championship game with N. ODonnell (twice, and one SB appearance with him), K. Stewart (twice), a Roethlisberger (twice)..... So I believe Cowher is a good enough coach to get the Steelers opportunities to win Super Bowls... and I believe they now have a signal caller who can take advantage of those opportunities.

:wavesterribletowel:

1268569[/snapback]

It showed how important and good he is, when he has the scope on his knee in the middle of the year and missed, what, 3 games. The Steelers are entirely a different team with him in there. Watching him now, it's really hard to believe that this guy is only in his second year. And to think that he is just starting to get his confidence. Amazing stuff.

i have to admit i love the guy.  i'd be very stoked if my team had him slated to be the QB for the next 10+ years.

1268494[/snapback]

Agreed. I also have serious man-love for Roethlisberger. He's also a very underrated fantasy QB. His points per game this year are in the top 10 in just about every scoring format.

Plus, like Menudo mentioned, he seems to be getting better very quickly. I mean, his completion percentage, yards per attempt, and TD-INT ratio are all EXTREMELY high for a 2nd-year QB. He could be a scary performer in the next 5-6 years.

I'd like to also mention that I've been high on Big Ben since before the '04 draft. I'd bet the house that he ends up being the best QB in that class, which I said at the time. I'm sure Big John has proof...:D

1272769[/snapback]

:D The top I could find was predicting him to be drafted 4th here and this from Nov. 2004. (post 10)

hes simply a winner. other guys can have all the stats they want and choke under pressure.. (manning) i have never seen ben rattled.. even his rookie year, he had the poise of a vet.. thats why he has won so much. he has already proven time and time again he is very well capable of leading game winning drives.. he already has quite a few in his short career. im still in shock from that fumble.. i cant believe ben was all the way down there also.. its almost like he knew it was going to happen and he better get himself in place for it. amazing.

hes simply a winner.  other guys can have all the stats they want and choke under pressure..  (manning)  i have never seen ben rattled..  even his rookie year, he had the poise of a vet..  thats why he has won so much.  he has already proven time and time again he is very well capable of leading game winning drives..  he already has quite a few in his short career.  im still in shock from that fumble..  i cant believe ben was all the way down there also..  its almost like he knew it was going to happen and he better get himself in place for it.  amazing.

1272839[/snapback]

My point exactly. Instinctively, he just makes winning happen.

My point exactly.  Instinctively, he just makes winning happen.

1272898[/snapback]

I don't believe there is ANY better way to state it. He just has a..."knack" if you will. He impresses me most when he slides in the pocket. He looks like a 5 or 6 year veteran out there.

edit: a 5 or 6 year vet in his prime, i should add.

Edited by LooGie