[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Disney vacation advice

whomper

Oh, and make sure you have a meal or two with the characters.  Your kids will be like :D when they come in. 

I got a picture with Goofy a few years back.  Wanted to submit that as a MH picture for obvious reasons, but didn't have a scanner.  :D

1382609[/snapback]

Good one! We did the breakfast. Got a pic of Minnie on my lap! I hope it was a girl. :D

Best place we ate was Spoodles on the Boardwalk, although we did not hit Victoria and Alberts.

Fireworks show at the end of the night at Magic Kingdom is great, but so are the ending shows at MGM (Fantasmic, a must see IMO) and at Epcot (Illuminations).

For character meals, I thought the one at Donalds Breakfastosaurus in Animal Kingdom was good, as was Crystal Palace (Pooh characters) in Magic Kingdom.

EDIT - when we went last year, I was able to book an Illuminations boat cruise (hard to get, gotta' either get lucky or book it exactly 90 days prior to the day when you want to go, which is the earliest you can reserve). They take you on a short private boat tour of some of the property, then pull up to the lagoon at Epcot and you watch the Illuminations show from the boat. Be sure to get a bottle of wine. I didn't tell the wife or kids we were doing that, and I had it booked for our first night there. It was a great surprise and definitely got our trip off on the right foot, although it's pretty pricey.

Edited by Easy n Dirty

We avoided the character breakfasts. There are stations where you can go meet characters and get pictures in every park now. It was more fun and challenging to find the characters in each park. Took us all week to catch up to Donald, but we caught him at MGM. At opening and closing there are also several characters milling about at the entrance. Rather than autograph books, we bought our boys light colored baseball caps. They got 15 autographs on each one. Nifty souvenir.

Rather than autograph books, we bought our boys light colored baseball caps. They got 15 autographs on each one. Nifty souvenir.

1382878[/snapback]

Great idea. We went with the autograph books, wish I had thought of the baseball caps, good call there.

Throw my two cents in, too... Wife and I always try to get to Florida in October for the Halloween events going on all month in the parks. Mickey's Halloween is great for the kids. Universal has a more adult Halloween celebration all month.

I agree with the majority... stay in the park and take advantage of Disney Transportation. Renting a car is not a bad idea, though. You can get off-site for snack/drinks or a meal if necessary. On-site cafeterias at the resorts are outrageously priced. Plus, it is so great to duck out of the parks at mid-day, bus back to your resort for a nap or swim in the pool, and a few hours later be back in the park. Great for the kids to take a break.

Lodging-wise, the All-Star resorts are the cheapest, but they are strictly economy. They have the most rooms, so they have the longest lines and waits for park transportation. Look a level or two up for value and comfort. I've stayed at Caribbean Beach (don't think it's on the monorail route) which was nice, affordable, and nice pools, too. Port Orleans was good, as well.

Try to get to Downtown Disney and visit DisneyQuest one night. A lot of computer and virtual reality and interactive games and rides. It's included in the park-hopper passes, and it makes for great evening entertainment. Equally fun for adults and kids. Definitely check it out.

Have fun. Feel free to PM me for more information. I think I still have prices and receipts somewhere from our trip 2 years ago.

I haven't been to DisneyWorld in about six years. Mrs. Egret and I went for our honeymoon and a couple of times before we were married. We stayed off grounds the first time. The next two times we stayed in the park. We loved staying in the park.

It was nice being able to take a boat from the Wilderness Lodge. We also stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort. You could take a bus everywhere from there. One of the best perks about staying on grounds was being able to have anything sent from a shop back to your room. We didn't have to carry any packages with us... and when you're there, you will be buying stuff.

good restaurants on property not mentioned yet are "the flying fish" at the boardwalk, "artist point" over at the wilderness lodge and "jiko" over at the animal kingdom lodge. if you have a rental car, staying off property is just as good as staying on and you will find good deals. you may have to pay for parking going this route though. i might be able to contact a friend of mine who is still a cast member at disney and see if he can do anything for you. depending on when you are going, he should be able to get you 50% off of your room. i'll pm you when i talk to him.

Because my wife and daughter are complete Disney freaks, I've been down there 5 times in the past 5 years and are heading back in May. We've been down there in May, June, Oct. and Nov. Do not go in June...EVER! Oct. was nice, but you can plan on a T-storm pretty much every day. Our first time was in Nov. so I don't remember much about it, so it must have been fine. May is our favorite time to go. You get the summer park hours, the heat isn't too bad and the crowds are not our of control. We stay on resort every time. No matter if you go with a Value or a Deluxe, those places are very clean. I think you stay at the values for around a 100 a night. We also rent a towncar from the airport, and if you tell them, they will stop at a grocery store so you can pick up some snacks and booze. Disney booze is not cheap. Park Hopper is the only way to go. We usually head back to the room for lunch and hit the pool then head back out the parks afterwards. Gotta use the fast pass. I usually go get them when my wife rides with my daughter. If you are staying onsite, take advantage of the extra magic hours. All of the parks have them, but they have specific schedules that you will need to figure out.

Im taking the Whompers to Disney (fla) this fall. We are probably looking to go in sept/ oct/nov . Places to stay..Deals you heard of . In general what the total cost including spending money was for you. It will be 4 of us..Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. thanks

1381768[/snapback]

after spring break i can tell you whatever i can, but i dont think i will be able to tell you about hotel prices, since i am not paying for them. but if there is any other advice you are looking for i can try and get that for you.

I have been twice and stayed at Animal Kingdom lodge both times and loved it. Great wildlife views, pool, and rooms. Unless you plan on doing things other than Disney, you don't need a rental car. Disney picks you up at the airport and provides timely bus transportation everywhere Disney. Parkhopper passes include the video game place in Downtown Disney, kids loved it. Disney cruises ROCK TOO! Going back this year in August for the 7 day cruise. Enjoy! :D

I've only done Disney (Orlando) on the company's dime, so I'm not much help finding a deal there. :D

I am taking the fam to Disney in CA in May. We've already booked and paid for the hotel, but if ya'll have any other advice on Disney left or the greater Anaheim area, spill it. Thanks.

As planned now, I'll be taking the older kids (10 & 9) to Universal for a day.

What beach is best in that area?

Any fun eateries? I think we'll hit Midevil Times one night.

You got some good advice so far, definetely stay at the resort, the shuttles to and from the parks alone are worth it. We stayed at both the music and the sports themed hotels and both were A OK. If you stay at the resort you can get into the park an hour early as RR said. This is big ; because the bag check/adddmision lines can get loooong;( BTW they don't allow you to bring beer in. :doah: ) also being the first into the park is great as the kids can do their fave rides a few times before the masses take over.

If you can travel with a stroller do it, the ones they rent suck. Pack some snack/ lunch type goodies for the day in the park also, the concession stands get pricey. We stopped at a grocery store and got supplies(beer :D ) for the week before checking in. Sea world blows, if you can avoid it.

I think we spent about $1500.00 for the week , 2 yrs ago.

I can't wait to go back.. the mouse house rules. :D

The cheapest on-site Disney resorts are the "All Star" Disney resorts

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/resor...sortListingPage

I've stayed there with the family. It was convenient because the disney buses run about every 10-15 minutes to take you to the park. rooms are small. they have a heated swimming pool. the food in the resort sucks and is way overpriced. I haven't stayed at the more expensive resorts with the family because we are hardly in our hotel.

Also, as a florida resident, I've been to disney at a variety of different times. I have found that the best times are between thanksiving and christmas and in january. weather is good and small lines.

I like czar's idea and may look into that the next time I go.

For watching the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom, here's a tip:

There's a burger type place to eat right next door to Buzz Lightyear's ride (go left from Buzz like you're heading back to Main Street). I checked the map of the park and it's not mentioned -- so maybe it's closed now? Who knows. Anyhow, it's open air, and if you get there early enough, you can grab a snack and have a perfect view of the castle for the fireworks sitting down (this is vital since it's late and everyone is tired) without all the crowds waiting for the parade to start.

I gotta' disagree with those that say to take advantage of the Extra Magic Hours (EMH) - EMH is when they either open a park early or keep it open late, only available to those staying on campus. Only certain attractions are open during EMH, and it's usually only for an hour, esp. if it's morning EMH.

The downside is that this skews the distribution of people among the 4 parks - so while you have the run of the place for that first hour, that particular park is bound to be more crowded than it would be otherwise for the rest of the morning at least. And the other three parks by definition are slightly less crowded. My rule of thumb is to avoid EMH parks on that day, especially if they have morning EMH. And if a park has evening EMH, then it is often a good idea to go to that park the following morning.

There's a guy who calls himself Tour Guide Mike - he takes VIPs around the park for $100 per hour and has been doing so for years, so it's his job to figure out crowd-beating strategies. He has a web site called tourguidemike.com where he shares these strategies as well as a bunch of other stuff (restaurant reviews, ride reviews, hotel reviews, etc.). It costs $22 to register for his site - I did it last year and had I paid 10 times that much it still would have been a bargain. His site is pretty convoluted and tough to navigate at times, but there is a ton of good info in there. He offers advice on which parks to go to on which days of the week, and then offers touring plans of each park (which rides to go to, and in what order, when to get Fast Passes, etc.). I know it counds kinda' anal and maybe it is, but it worked out great for me and my family, I highly recommend it.

My $1,500 did not include airfare. We drove....twice. I was sane and pretty much normal before that.

Had friends in Tampa and crashed there for a few days. Then went to Disney for like 4 days I think (for around $1,500), then went over to NASA, which was very cool for my :D side. I loved Cocoa Beach. It reminded me of Nags Head when I was a kid before Nags Head went commercial.

I would never go to Disney again now that the kiddies are grown, but would definitely do a week at NASA again. Gonna see a shuttle launch before I die.