[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dont' know if it's like this at your job

cliaz

I have a Vegetarian (sp?) that I work with who happens to be the same girl that annoys the piss out of me at times (thread from a few weeks back). Anyways she comments on my food a lot, that looks good sort of thing. Because I eat meat with 99% of my meals how or why would she know it looks good. I think if I was a veg head I would think it looks like crap. :D Maybe I'm off base here. :D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4/5 days at work I eat the same thing: pita bread and hummus. I started a year and a half ago when my cholesterol got a bit too high. It fills me up enough, and I don't feel weighed down afterwards. More often than not, somebody will say:

"What do you have there?"

"Is that all you're going to eat?"

"Don't you ever get sick of that?"

Let me eat my boring lunch!

Time spent at one's desk eating is considered "work". Big John's company is being careful about hours worked audits and the resulting overtime accumulated by people eating at their desks. Courts have ruled that time spent at one's desk eating cannot be deducted or considered a break. It must be paid.

If you are an hourly employee and have been "forced" to eat at your desk for however many years, when the TPS reports start piling up and you want to make an exit, make sure you have accounted for all those overtime hours!

Time spent at one's desk eating is considered "work".  Big John's company is being careful about hours worked audits and the resulting overtime accumulated by people eating at their desks.  Courts have ruled that time spent at one's desk eating cannot be deducted or considered a break.  It must be paid.

If you are an hourly employee and have been "forced" to eat at your desk for however many years, when the TPS reports start piling up and you want to make an exit, make sure you have accounted for all those overtime hours!

1402647[/snapback]

Even when I am salaried and those rules are still in place?

Even when I am salaried and those rules are still in place?

1402655[/snapback]

No.

It only applies to are those who are paid hourly and are eligible for overtime.

edit to add: This can mean very big money to the employee. Say you are an hourly employee working for $14.50 an hour. Your "lunch" time at your desk accounts for 3.5 hours per week. Multiply that times, say, 49 weeks at time and a half. That is $3,730.37 per year that has gone unpaid. Say you worked there for 3 years - that would mean over $10,000 owed to you in back pay and interest.

Edited by MikeTice

Just reply, "yeah, Mountain Dew cuts the vodka better then diet Pepsi."

1402587[/snapback]

I usually follow it up with...yeah Mountain Dew used to kill sperm...now it's just a habit for me...

uncomfortable silence then follows...

good grief, I love the ziggy fries but it feels like you are pooping out some lipton lava soup or razors and bleach.

1402654[/snapback]

dude, there's your answer. next time they come over and ask whatcha eatin, say "ziggy fries, I love the ziggy fries but it feels like you are pooping out some lipton lava soup or razors and bleach". they'll likely never ask again.

people in my office dont usually inquire too much about what i'm eating. BUT, while i AM eating they'll mosey in, sit down start yapping about their own mundane lives or worse, some complicated work problem that demands my attention. "oh i don't want to interrupt your lunch, but...." f'n bassturds :D

Our work buys us lunch on Tuesdays and Thursdays from the local franchise places (TGIF, Applebees, etc) and brings it back to the office. I used to eat with the rest of them in the conference room, but they are salad freaks and I eat stuff like fried shrimp, burgers and BBQ. They would ogle my food watching me eat every bite and ask questions like they've never seen a burger or seafood before.

Rule #46 on why I hate people: Don't ever eat with a buncha dieting wimmin.

Our work buys us lunch on Tuesdays and Thursdays from the local franchise places (TGIF, Applebees, etc) and brings it back to the office.  I used to eat with the rest of them in the conference room, but they are salad freaks and I eat stuff like fried shrimp, burgers and BBQ.  They would ogle my food watching me eat every bite and ask questions like they've never seen a burger or seafood before.

Rule #46 on why I hate people:  Don't ever eat with a buncha dieting wimmin.

1402706[/snapback]

Can't they just make you a sammich?

Time spent at one's desk eating is considered "work".  Big John's company is being careful about hours worked audits and the resulting overtime accumulated by people eating at their desks.  Courts have ruled that time spent at one's desk eating cannot be deducted or considered a break.  It must be paid.

1402647[/snapback]

No. 

It only applies to are those who are paid hourly and are eligible for overtime.

edit to add:  This can mean very big money to the employee.  Say you are an hourly employee working for $14.50 an hour.  Your "lunch" time at your desk accounts for 3.5 hours per week.  Multiply that times, say, 49 weeks at time and a half.  That is $3,730.37 per year that has gone unpaid.  Say you worked there for 3 years - that would mean over $10,000 owed to you in back pay and interest.

1402684[/snapback]

A buddy of mine was involved in a HUGH class action lawsuit over this.

No real workplace food annoyances here. Small-ish consulting firm with a sizeable kitchen/break room. They buy sodas, snack-packs of chips or cookies... we just have to pay $.30 for 'em. Not bad. Just about every day, we order food in from a Chinese restaurant, or Baja Fresh, or Panera, etc... 90% of the time I decline; I NEED to get out of the office, read the paper, etc. :D

I got the same thing until I decided to just eat out all the time.

Actually, I wish more people would eat out. ...Getting out of the office for an hour kinda helps on stressful days IMO. Plus they all bring in the smelliest concoctions and the office stinks the whole afternoon.

people in my office dont usually inquire too much about what i'm eating.  BUT, while i AM eating they'll mosey in, sit down start yapping about their own mundane lives or worse, some complicated work problem that demands my attention.  "oh i don't want to interrupt your lunch, but...."  f'n bassturds :D

1402703[/snapback]

This is why I go home for lunch everyday! The boss still calls me to ask questions but I dont answer then tell him I had the ringer off. He then started calling my cell so now I leave that at the shop.

dude, there's your answer.  next time they come over and ask whatcha eatin, say "ziggy fries, I love the ziggy fries but it feels like you are pooping out some lipton lava soup or razors and bleach".  they'll likely never ask again.

1402699[/snapback]

will do :D

people in my office dont usually inquire too much about what i'm eating.  BUT, while i AM eating they'll mosey in, sit down start yapping about their own mundane lives or worse, some complicated work problem that demands my attention.  "oh i don't want to interrupt your lunch, but...."  f'n bassturds :D

1402703[/snapback]

Yeah I really hate that. People are infamous for that around here.

Our work buys us lunch on Tuesdays and Thursdays from the local franchise places (TGIF, Applebees, etc) and brings it back to the office.  I used to eat with the rest of them in the conference room, but they are salad freaks and I eat stuff like fried shrimp, burgers and BBQ.  They would ogle my food watching me eat every bite and ask questions like they've never seen a burger or seafood before.

Rule #46 on why I hate people:  Don't ever eat with a buncha dieting wimmin.

1402706[/snapback]

Are you kidding me? You should torment them. Savor every bite. Lick your fingers often. Warm it up several times in the microwave just to make sure the scent lingers for as long as possible. Complain about how you never get enough sauce and that's the best part. I would even go so far as to get an extra one to share one day, then have all the dieters line up on one side of the room and everyone else on the other. Only share with the non-dieters. Maybe by an extra house salad to share with them.

I got the same thing until I decided to just eat out all the time.

Actually, I wish more people would eat out.  ...Getting out of the office for an hour kinda helps on stressful days IMO.  Plus they all bring in the smelliest concoctions and the office stinks the whole afternoon.

1402720[/snapback]

Dude, I have two Vietnamese guys in my office. You should smell the place when they bring in fish. :D

Dude, I have two Vietnamese guys in my office. You should smell the place when they bring in fish.  :D

1403384[/snapback]

When they do that, tell them this: "Dooh mahhh". That will make them stop. Or at least laugh like heck. :D

Are you kidding me? You should torment them. Savor every bite. Lick your fingers often. Warm it up several times in the microwave just to make sure the scent lingers for as long as possible. Complain about how you never get enough sauce and that's the best part. I would even go so far as to get an extra one to share one day, then have all the dieters line up on one side of the room and everyone else on the other. Only share with the non-dieters. Maybe by an extra house salad to share with them.

1403382[/snapback]

Instead I fired most of them...

Dude, I have two Vietnamese guys in my office. You should smell the place when they bring in fish.  :D

1403384[/snapback]

I was just about to bring that up. Between the Indians with their curry, the Nigerians with their fish and the koreans with their fish head soup, our building smells like the U.N. Toilet.