[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Allow me to brag ...

Grits and Shins

Coach Julio assembled a team of 11U boys last November that included my son. We were thrilled that our son was included as part of the team as we liked all the coaches, we anticipated that our son would learn alot about baseball, we liked all the families associated with the team, and we were particularily happy to be removed from city baseball politics.

The team had been together less than a week last November when we played in our first tournament. It was also the first time for our team to play at the Bronco level, as before we had been Mustang level. In Bronco the pitchers mound is farther away from the plate and the base pads are longer. We didn't fare very well in that tournament.

The team practiced for several months and played in a tournament in March. With the exception of 2 innings in the whole tournament the team played very well. Those 2 innings just happened to be against the same team ... once in pool play and once in the championship game. We took 2nd place and qualified for the USSSA nationals in Branson, Missouri.

We went 13-2 in our league play and played in another tournament in April where we got our asses mostly handed to us.

This last weekend was the league tournament and we claimed our first first place.

In this last weekend's tournament my son's bat has been pretty quiet ... BUT his defense has been exceptional. He is the starting second baseman and yesterday made several great plays. Occassionally he gets to play the outfield as well and Saturday he made a diving catch in center field.

In this tournament he made several ESPN highlight reel catches ... and yes I am the proud father.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats proud papa.

Looking forward to the day my boy will be out there, though, with the way he is growing, he will either be a lineman or a power forward, but he has learned to step into his throws already.

Edit to add: Yes, that is him in my avatar.

Edited by Big Country

Baseball in November?  Is your son concentrating on baseball?

1481702[/snapback]

With the exception of last fall when my son took the fall off (until November) to play football my son has played baseball year round since he was 4 ... with only a couple of months off each year (November'ish to February'ish).

:D

You could be onto something there. 

Of course that doesn't explaing those times he has struck out at the ball right at his eye level.

1481683[/snapback]

Can't fault him for going down swinging at eye level. I like his moxy.

The team had been together less than a week last November when we played in our first tournament.  It was also the first time for our team to play at the Bronco level, as before we had been Mustang level.  In Bronco the pitchers mound is farther away from the plate and the base pads are longer.  We didn't fare very well in that tournament.

The team practiced for several months and played in a tournament in March.  With the exception of 2 innings in the whole tournament the team played very well.  Those 2 innings just happened to be against the same team ... once in pool play and once in the championship game.  We took 2nd place and qualified for the USSSA nationals in Branson, Missouri.

We went 13-2 in our league play and played in another tournament in April where we got our asses mostly handed to us.

This last weekend was the league tournament and we claimed our first first place.

1481664[/snapback]

You play on the same team as your son? :D

This kind of bragging is 10,000 times better than some of the others I've seen recently.

Congrats to your boy!!!! And to you for the help I know he got from you! :D

This kind of bragging is 10,000 times better than some of the others I've seen recently.

Congrats to your boy!!!!  And to you for the help I know he got from you!  :D

1481930[/snapback]

Agreed if my post came off like I didn't seen like I meant this :D

Agreed if my post came off like I didn't seen like I meant this :D

1481932[/snapback]

I wasn't refering to your post.

A ding-bat.

On the plus side he did lay down several great bunts.

1481674[/snapback]

I manage a sports store and could help you pick the best one out.

You could be onto something there. 

Of course that doesn't explaing those times he has struck out at the ball right at his eye level.

1481683[/snapback]

Very well could be...the CWS bats are out and Easton, H&B, Rawlings, and Demarini all have great new bats.

I also restring gloves good as new.

Edited by SuperBalla