[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baby found dead in vehicle

zmanzzzz

Baby found dead in vehicle

Mother apparently forgot to drop off baby at day care

By Lisa Gibson

Herald Staff Writer

INFANT DEATHS: Similar incidents usually don't lead to charges

Children forgotten in back seats more common in age of airbags By Kyle Johnson: 'Worst nightmare'

SAFETY TIPS

A 5-month-old baby died in a minivan Wednesday after the mother apparently forgot to drop the child off at day care.

The tragedy was discovered about 5:30 p.m. outside the Wonder Years 2 day care. The baby's mother stopped at the day care after work to pick up the child and was told by staff that the baby had not been dropped off. She realized then that the baby had been in her minivan all day.

"The mother had forgotten to drop off the child at day care in the morning," said Curt Kreun, owner of Wonder Years 2. "She actually came in the building to pick up the child and then realized what had happened."

The child was in a car seat in the back of the vehicle, according to Sgt. Jeff Burgess of the Grand Forks Police Department. A Wonder Years 2 staff member made the 911 call, according to Kreun.

Staff members had taken the baby out of the van and started CPR before the ambulance arrived. Kreun said he reached the scene about 6 p.m. and emergency personnel already had gotten the word from Altru to cease resuscitation.

"The child had probably passed away a while before she got to the day care," Kreun said.

Kreun, who has been in the child care business for years, said near-tragedies happen all too often.

"I know people who have gotten to work and realized they forgot to drop off their kids and had to go back."

Kreun said it would have been impossible for passersby to see the baby in the van, which had tinted windows.

"I walked around that van about 14 times after they left, and you would not have been able to see in there," he said.

The incident is under investigation by the Criminal Investigation Bureau, but police told Kreun they didn't expect charges to be filed.

"They're looking at it as a tragic accident," he said. "This is by far the most devastating thing I've had to witness."

"There are no arrests being made tonight," said Burgess. "I can tell you that."

The cause of death had not yet been confirmed Wednesday night, but a likely cause of death in cases where children are left in hot vehicles is hyperthermia.

The temperature in a parked car rises very rapidly, even when the windows are left open a crack. Studies show that the temperature can rise as much as 50 degrees in an hour.

Wednesday's high was 79 degrees, so the temperature in the van easily could have exceeded 100 degrees.

I honestly don't understand how this is even possible- I mean you can forget to pick up milk or something but there is NO WAY you should ever forget your kid like that- I really can't comprehend how this happens- :D

There were times I was so tired with twin infants that I began to hallucinate. (Was actually holding a baby one time at like 4am, looked down, and saw a piglette in my arms. Nearly threw it against the wall, I was so scared). So trust me: life can get little blurry when you aren't allowed to sleep for more than 2-3 hours at a time for like, oh, three months. I'm not defending this woman (I pity her, in fact), but I can comprehend firsthand how this kind of thing *might* happen.

Edited by yo mama

I don't have kids yet, and therefore can not criticize. I have a feeling that most of the people who have had this happen were probably saying the same things we are saying when they heard about such things prior to their incident.... "impossible, how could it happen, I could never be that busy, etc." All I know is that I sometimes do weird stuff due to A- lack of sleep and B- having a lot on my mind, and can only imagine what it would be like if I was up all night with a newborn. For example, recently I searched the entire house and was convinced that I had either left my wallet at work, or it had been stolen. Hours later, my wife found it in one of our drawers in the refrigerator, with some apples and oranges. I had evidentally set it in their while putting away groceries. It's easy to criticize these people, but I, personally, do not feel comfortable saying that "it could never happen to me." To say such a thing would be messing with karma, in my opinion. Rather, I just try to stay focused on the important things in life, leave the stress of work AT WORK, and hope/pray that I never am in a position where I make such a costly mistake.

Edited by Gopher

That's gotta be the most horrible thing a person could go through... to accidentally cause your own baby's death.

Yes :D I hate reading stories like this :D

It's easy to criticize these people, but I, personally, do not feel comfortable saying that "it could never happen to me." To say such a thing would be messing with karma, in my opinion. Rather, I just try to stay focused on the important things in life, leave the stress of work AT WORK, and hope/pray that I never am in a position where I make such a costly mistake.

Wurd

It's easy to criticize these people, but I, personally, do not feel comfortable saying that "it could never happen to me." To say such a thing would be messing with karma, in my opinion. Rather, I just try to stay focused on the important things in life, leave the stress of work AT WORK, and hope/pray that I never am in a position where I make such a costly mistake.

Wurd +1

it was 80 at 11:00 this morning.......walked in my tool trailor, both doors were open, and instantly beaded up with sweat....couple minutes later it was hard to breath.....thought that was weird, then i read this.....the kid didn't stand a chance... :D

There were times I was so tired with twin infants that I began to hallucinate. (Was actually holding a baby one time at like 4am, looked down, and saw a piglette in my arms. Nearly threw it against the wall, I was so scared). So trust me: life can get little blurry when you aren't allowed to sleep for more than 2-3 hours at a time for like, oh, three months. I'm not defending this woman (I pity her, in fact), but I can comprehend firsthand how this kind of thing *might* happen.

+1 Been there with kids 22 months apart... I have actually started to drive to work and had them ask me where we are going! I think they are quite sometimes to throw us off...

Not the time or the place.

But I was wondering what airbags had anything to do with the story.

I thought the same thing.... But they must be referring to when kids used to ride up front, but can't now due to airbags.