[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A sad day today

driveby

My only child. My son. My friend. My compadre. My teammate. My young man.........left for college yesterday. :D

I didn't think it would be this hard, but it is.

I'm going to really miss seeing him in the morning before I leave for work, and talking to him when I get home.

He's only an hour away so I will probably see him on the weekends, and I can always call him, which I will do and which I know he will find increasingly annoying.

I'm sad that this chapter in our relationship is over, but happy that he made it this far a healthy, caring, funny, intelligent, respectful, responsible young man.

I'm also sad when I think back on how I left home for college and how my attitude must have crushed my parents, especially my mother. I walked out the door and pretty much never looked back. I knew there was nothing for me there, and couldn't wait to put as much distance between me and the small town I called home for 18 years. Sure, I went home from time to time, but it was mostly to hook up with the few high school friends I kept in touch with that stayed behind. I especially regret skipping a family reunion, one of the last we had with most everyone in good health, to play in a softball tournament. :D

If you have grown kids, you know what I'm talking about I'm sure. If you don't have kids yet, or if they're young, cherish every minute and always put them first in your life. You will never regret it.

read this for another reason to cherish every minute

I knew a Mark Lemke growing up, and the age is right. I hope it isn't the same one. :D

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for sharing, my son started kindergarten today, and this puts things in perspective. I coach his soccer and t-ball teams, and Im at every event he has going. But, I often find myself in front of my PC most nights crunching numbers, or watching baseball, or basketball scores to see how my fantasy teams are doing, when I should be spending even more time with my family. Sometimes we lose track of what is important, and family comes before fantasy. Im glad you shared this story, as I feel real guilty right now, and I am not looking forward to the day my lil man, or daughters leave home for college.

My only child. My son. My friend. My compadre. My teammate. My young man.........left for college yesterday. :D

Holy crap ma, I read to the part right before "left for college" and I thought this was about to be a "my son died" thread. Don't scare me like that.

With one offspring at college and the other in the Marines, the empty nest feeling lasts quite a while. One of the best things is visiting, which I did to my daughter in Madison yesterday. My son was home a couple weeks ago too.

Good luck to ya but it sounds to me like you've done the best job you possibly could and you have a right to be proud.

Nice post Driveby. Sounds like you are really close to your son. That's fantastic. Both of my kids are upstairs and here I am down on the computer drafting in two leagues. I think I'll take a quick break.

Good luck to your son. You sound like a proud papa and should be.

Thank you for sharing, my son started kindergarten today, and this puts things in perspective. I coach his soccer and t-ball teams, and Im at every event he has going. But, I often find myself in front of my PC most nights crunching numbers, or watching baseball, or basketball scores to see how my fantasy teams are doing, when I should be spending even more time with my family. Sometimes we lose track of what is important, and family comes before fantasy. Im glad you shared this story, as I feel real guilty right now, and I am not looking forward to the day my lil man, or daughters leave home for college.

+1 to a lot of the posts on here including Sarge's. I'm not very close to my parents and I don't plan on having it that way with my kids and I know a lot of it will depend on me.

I was further reminded of this this morning when thinking about my brother and all the activities he participates in from Softball, Golfing, partying with his boys a day or two a week and then "resting" from those activities when he is at home. Sometimes he gets pissed at me when I don't golf with him or do other things with him. The answer pretty much is I'd rather be home. This can be a problem too as I don't like to do things outside of home without my wife and / or kids so my wife or I have to force me to do stuff to keep my own sanity because as much as you love your kids you will eventually get on each others nerves and a break is needed for both sides.

Anyways these are usually my favorite threads here at the huddle followed closely by Cliaz's mindless threads about poop or 10 things you thought were true but really arent. :D

As a father of a teenager now, I can understand this a bit. We already talk about the way things were when he was young and by the time he leaves in five years it will be even worse.

Everything in life is temporary and relying on the future should rarely be done. Enjoy what you have now and accept each passing step of life as something new and the marker of when something great had to close.

you did your job driveby - be proud. he may not realize everything now and surely is basking in his newfound independence, but know that slowly as the years pass, his appreciation for the wonderful upbringing and time that you invested in him will continue to grow. keep those communication lines open as he will have much to talk about and need guidance about as he gets on with college.

regarding the hot girlfriend, please know that i'm happy to hear that. i can just picture how great they go together.

Also, think what a fine upstanding socially conscientious liberal he'll be once college is done with him. :D

Off to receive a fine, liberal education, no doubt.

Well done. :D

Too bad there isnt a "home school" cirriculum for college... :D