[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greek/Frat Life in College

Goopster24

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FIJI, Phi Gamma Delta, on 916 S. College is the only place you need to go.

I'm telling you, that chapter is just special. 150 years of continuous operation - you just missed the big hooplah anniversary in Indy last September. I see grad bros sometimes only every couple years and its like a day hasn't passed. My pledge bros are my best friends ever. Even if I only get to see some at weddings and reunion weekends.

If you're interested in Communications, there's plenty of graduate brothers in that arena. Lots of lawyers too. No hazing too. All fraternities will tell you the same, but many are lying. Trust me on that one.

Anyway, you go FIJI, and I'll buy you a GCB, liter of dew, and cheese fries from Marvin's next time I'm on campus :D.

But if you really need something to turn you on, the lovely Thetas sunbathe on the side roof. Room 401 and 402 from the Gam have the best view.

Also, be sure to ask about Anchor runs, bag man, and shaving cream man when you visit.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

If you join or if you dont join I believe most people will say they met their best/lifelong freinds in college. I know I did. I did not join a frat and I dont regret it. I met some cool people that I am still in constant contact with years later, if I had pledged I doubt I would even know these people. That being said, if I had to do it over again I would join. I think they offer a broader experience. People will tell you that you are buying your friends and all that nonsense. What you are buying is the total experience and a larger support network, that some of these other guys can speak to more than I, than the typical indy undergrad. Not to mention the frat parties always seemed better than the rest. I had several frat buddies and always attended so I can speak to that. If you decide not to join never fear. It will still be a period of your life that you will always look back upon fondly.

FIJI, Phi Gamma Delta, on 916 S. College is the only place you need to go.

I'm telling you, that chapter is just special. 150 years of continuous operation - you just missed the big hooplah anniversary in Indy last September. I see grad bros sometimes only every couple years and its like a day hasn't passed. My pledge bros are my best friends ever. Even if I only get to see some at weddings and reunion weekends.

If you're interested in Communications, there's plenty of graduate brothers in that arena. Lots of lawyers too. No hazing too. All fraternities will tell you the same, but many are lying. Trust me on that one.

Anyway, you go FIJI, and I'll buy you a GCB, liter of dew, and cheese fries from Marvin's next time I'm on campus :D.

But if you really need something to turn you on, the lovely Thetas sunbathe on the side roof. Room 401 and 402 from the Gam have the best view.

Also, be sure to ask about Anchor runs, bag man, and shaving cream man when you visit.

Shiat, I forgot you went here. My RA is a Fiji and he is heavily recruiting all the guys on my floor. I haven't been over there yet.

Edited by Goopster24

I think it really depends on the school...if yours really is 80% greek, probably not a bad idea.

Actually, good info here - if the campus is THAT heavily Greek, you're going to be shut out of a TON of activities.

My college was about 10k and I would ballpark the Greek population at maybe 10% max.

I pledged Sigma Phi Epsilon - Loyola University New Orleans with Seattle Lawdawg and don't regret it one bit. If/when you pledge, pledge season will be one of those things that looking back you enjoyed but would NEVER want to do again. I'm still in contact with quite a few of my fraternity brothers and do business with some as well. Like many have said, it all depends on your personality. Joining a fraternity definitely added to the college experience for me and I would do it all over in a heartbeat.

Jumpin Johnies is also a Sig Ep but from another university.

Edited by twiley

Phi Kappa Tau at Kent State. Rockin good times but that doesn't mean I couldn't have had the same without joining. All depends on the person.

No chit. Phi Tau from Idaho, pledged and initiated in '91. Had a great time, with no regrets. It is not for everyone, but I can't imagine my college experience without it.

Actually, good info here - if the campus is THAT heavily Greek, you're going to be shut out of a TON of activities.

My college was about 10k and I would ballpark the Greek population at maybe 10% max.

pretty similar where I went to college (except that we had about 25,000 students)

One additional benefit of being in a frat is that it probably gives you an easier time "networking" with the coeds. (My dorm in college was co-ed so we had "in-house *****", so this wasn't an issue for me.)

pretty similar where I went to college (except that we had about 25,000 students)

One additional benefit of being in a frat is that it probably gives you an easier time "networking" with the coeds. (My dorm in college was co-ed so we had "in-house *****", so this wasn't an issue for me.)

Greek life is, in fact, a superior way of meeting lots of mostly good looking girls (if you like the looks of sorority girls).

Kappa Alpha at Emory. A very good experience. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat ...

Twiley's fraternity was brought in to replace mine at Loyola, New Orleans when we got banned forever from the college campus. Most of the guys in mine were derelicts, misfits, degenerates and bartenders. Best group of guys I ever met, still close friends with lots of them. Most of the big alumni owned bars in New Orleans (TJ Quills, Fat Harrys, Shanahans, etc.). We couldnt wear spamshirts or anything on campus at risk of suspension and every incoming freshmen class was told in a big assembly to watch out for us and never ever go to our parties. I was anti-greek, pro-bar and a rebel without a pause so it was a very a good fit for me.

After an illustrious 20 years offcampus they disbanded a couple years ago.

There is a certain cooking man around here who is my brother.

Edited by skins

yo mama sums up my perception of going greek..... very fun, but not essential for a social life. looking back i would have done it again.

phi kappa theta- university of san diego.

edit: i am happily bound fraternally to certain bald, antangonist on these boards

Edited by Bier Meister

I was never a frat rat. GDI. I went through rush every year because when I went through, beer was free. I was friends with guys at one frat and went to a fair amount of their parties.

You must have balls that sag to your knees, old man. Rush week is a dry week. The frats aren't allowed to serve alcohol to guys checking out the house. The IFC (frat council) even has people check in and monitor rush activities. They have some pretty big punishments for the houses that get caught. Needless to say some houses do break the rules and occasionally they get caught. It's pretty lame.

to replace mine at Loyola, New Orleans when we got banned forever from the college campus. Most of the guys in mine were derelicts, misfits, degenerates and bartenders.

sounds like theta chi to me.... well some of the theta chi's

we used to scare the crap out of people at national and regional events.... " you guys drink this much all the time" was a common question..

You must have balls that sag to your knees, old man. Rush week is a dry week. The frats aren't allowed to serve alcohol to guys checking out the house. The IFC (frat council) even has people check in and monitor rush activities. They have some pretty big punishments for the houses that get caught. Needless to say some houses do break the rules and occasionally they get caught. It's pretty lame.

What college did you go to? What a bunch of nancy-boys. :D

There are ways around those rules and every fraternity broke them.

Phi Kappa Psi at one of the biggest party schools in the country. So, it wasn't fully necessary but I'm certainly glad I did it. I still talk to several of my fraternity brothers (stood up in two of their weddings).

It's a heck of a networking vehicle and even socially speaking now, it's good... I moved to Austin, Texas without knowing anyone, and plan on joining the local Alumni Association. Of course, word is the local AA only accepts UT Phi Psis. If that's the case, that's retahded. Fortunately there's another AA that's based out of San Marcos (about 30 min. south) that accepts any Phi Psi alum. Of course, it'd be cooler to be in the Austin AA, since there's so much to do around here.

In any case... yes, I recommend the fraternity experience in college if you can afford it.

Edits: Forgot to mention, KevinL is also a Phi Psi. Partially due to that bond, we got to know each other a little faster here... oh, and I went to UC Santa Barbara.

Edited by darin3

I graduated in 1984. Rush week wasn't dry back then. Every frat had many, many kegs. My balls are still very supple.

I have a good friend who is a sophomore here who helped me come to this school in the first place. I played football with him in high school and he has helped me getting involved with the radio station here at school. He is really wants me to join his fraternity and I really do like it. If anything, I am probably leaning there. The one thing though is at this point, none of the guys on my floor that I have become friends with are looking at that fraternity. I've talked to older people and it's basically split between people who said they picked where they themselves enjoyed and people who said they went where most of their friends were going.

How did you guys pick your fraternities?