[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mora Fired

jake_the_builder

Falcons fire Mora after another disappointing season

By GEORGE HENRY - Associated Press Writer

2007-01-01 12:14

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) -Atlanta fired coach Jim Mora on Monday, just two years after he led the Falcons to the NFC championship game.

The decision to dump the fiery coach followed two straight disappointing seasons. The Falcons lost six of their final eight games in 2005 to miss the playoffs, and they finished 7-9 this season by losing seven of the last nine contests.

Owner Arthur Blank made the announcement at the team's suburban training complex.

Yeah it will be interesting to see who turns down an offer to coach Atlanta (see Oakland). :D

Arthor Blank should just coach the team for one year and then fire himself. Of course, McKay has put that team in salary cap hell because of the contract he gave Vick. So why not just have them both be co-coaches and see how good they can make the FalCants.

I disagree.

I am very exciting. You should see me on the beach in my speedo.

After having seen your MH picture it is my fervent desire that I never see you unless you are fully dressed ... in fact the mere thought of seeing you in a speedo may have permanently scarred me.

I hope your malpractice insurance is paid up.

I guess that was supposed to be funny. Whatever.

Anyone have some actual reasons? I'm not necessarily disagreeing but he seemed like a pretty good coach to me.

Two big reasons, first his infamous interview about a month ago where he states he would leave the Falcons ,even in the middle of the playoffs, for the head coaching job at U of Washington.

Secondly their complete disintegration the second half of this season and missing the playoffs with a sub .500 record. They couldn't beat the Eagles second stringers in the final game of the season for christ's sake.

Two big reasons, first his infamous interview about a month ago where he states he would leave the Falcons ,even in the middle of the playoffs, for the head coaching job at U of Washington.

Secondly their complete disintegration the second half of this season and missing the playoffs with a sub .500 record. They couldn't beat the Eagles second stringers in the final game of the season for christ's sake.

Based on that same logic shouldn't they get rid of their under-achieving QB?

he was also just a knucklehead coach.

play calling, game management, and the infamous phoning a friend late last season to ask about the implications of the outcome of the OT game versus Tampa.

the most recent example being the loss to Carolina... you're head and shoulders the #1 rushing offense in the NFL. you lose 10-3. you attempted 19 rushes. Vick attempted 4 rushes (no telling exactly how many were designed or scrambles), a WR attempted the other. only 14 for your RBs. what's wrong with this picture?

blame Vick all you want but the whole team played well below its talent and potential... lack of focus, lack of attention to detail, and lack of accountability. the HC can't play the game but the blame for the above 3 shortfalls lies with the HC and his staff.

Edited by kingfish247