[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Millen to Return!

The Wolf

Guess the walkout did absolutely nothing. Here's the link...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2717730

Edited to include text of story...

Millen returning; Lions 24-72 under his watchESPN.com news services

Another subpar season won't cost Lions president Matt Millen his job.

Six Years Later...

The record since president Matt Millen was hired in 2001 by the Detroit Lions, who are an NFL-worst 24-72 in that time:

Year W-L-T How finished

2001 2-14-0 Last in NFC Central

2002 3-13-0 Last in NFC Central

2003 5-11-0 Last in NFC Central

2004 6-10-0 Third in NFC North

2005 5-11-0 Third in NFC North

2006 3-13-0 Last in NFC North

Millen, who has a 24-72 record in his first six seasons, will return next season. He still has four years left on the contract extension he was given last season.

Millen said Tuesday that quitting is not an option he has considered despite criticism of the team's dismal performance in his tenure.

"I'll never quit,'' Millen said in an interview with a small group of reporters, including The Detroit News, which posted some of his comments on its Web site. "I can't do that. I don't even consider that."

"It's the way I'm made."

Asked why he wouldn't quit, Millen replied: "You're given a job, regardless of what it is. You keep on working and trying to get the thing done."

The Lions beat Dallas on Sunday, closing the season an NFC-low 3-13.

Detroit was proud of proving it didn't quit on the miserable season by beating a playoff team in Week 17. The victory snapped a seven-game skid and a winless mark on the road in 2006.

It also cost the Lions the No. 1 pick in the draft -- an asset they could've used to perhaps trade for picks and players.

"I really don't want to be one or two," receiver Roy Williams said. "I'd rather be picking 31st."

Millen would, too, because such a low pick indicates success.

The Lions, who fired defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson and offensive line coach Larry Beightol on Tuesday, have struggled so much since Millen, a former linebacker and analyst, took over that they're had the No. 2 pick twice, No. 3 once and three other top-10 picks.

Some of the players taken with those picks haven't panned out and that begins to explain the mess the team is in six years after Millen arrived to lead a once-mediocre franchise.

About 100 Detroit fans held a protest during the second quarter of the last home game of the season Dec. 24 against the Chicago Bears. The fans left their seats midway through the quarter and gathered in Ford Field's atrium, where they chanted "Fire Millen" while watching the game on the scoreboard.

Before Detroit's final home game, Millen said he talked to team owner William Clay Ford after each game and when they met in the middle of the season, they talked about plans for the next year.

Quarterback Joey Harrington and receiver Charles Rogers -- a third and second pick overall, respectively -- were discarded in 2006 and some have speculated that 2005 first-round pick Mike Williams will be the next to go.

Williams expects and wants to be back.

"People call me a bust, so when you get that label, there's no pressure," said Williams, who had a touchdown on Sunday to end his 30-game scoreless streak. "I don't worry about people talking about my weight and work ethic because I'm doing what I love to do and a lot of people can't say that.

"Things haven't started out pretty for me in the NFL, but that's going to change."

Detroit has more needs than picks in the draft and not enough cap space to fill every hole with free agency.

"There are a lot of things that need to be fixed," quarterback Jon Kitna said.

Information from ESPN.com senior writer John Clayton and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Edited by The Wolf

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lions, who fired defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson and offensive line coach Larry Beightol on Tuesday, have struggled so much since Millen, a former linebacker and analyst, took over that they're had the No. 2 pick twice, No. 3 once and three other top-10 picks.

:D:D

The Lions are 24-72 under his watch:

Year W-L-T How finished 2001 2-14-0 Last in NFC Central 2002 3-13-0 Last in NFC Central 2003 5-11-0 Last in NFC Central 2004 6-10-0 Third in NFC North 2005 5-11-0 Third in NFC North 2006 3-13-0 Last in NFC North 

It would boggle the mind, if it wasn't the Lions. :D

The Lions are 24-72 under his watch:

Year W-L-T How finished 2001 2-14-0 Last in NFC Central 2002 3-13-0 Last in NFC Central 2003 5-11-0 Last in NFC Central 2004 6-10-0 Third in NFC North 2005 5-11-0 Third in NFC North 2006 3-13-0 Last in NFC North 

It would boggle the mind, if it wasn't the Lions. :D

A nice 4-12 average across 6 seasons. Who else has ever been cut that level of slack? :D

A few quotes of interest from the article...

Millen said Tuesday that quitting is not an option he has considered despite criticism of the team's dismal performance in his tenure.

"I'll never quit,'' Millen said in an interview with a small group of reporters, including The Detroit News, which posted some of his comments on its Web site. "I can't do that. I don't even consider that."

"It's the way I'm made."

Asked why he wouldn't quit, Millen replied: "You're given a job, regardless of what it is. You keep on working and trying to get the thing done."

So, if you're told to slurp out the latrines with a straw, you would do it?

"I really don't want to be one or two," receiver Roy Williams said. "I'd rather be picking 31st."

Roy Williams, WR, DET wants to get to the SB only to lose it, apparently.

Millen would, too, because such a low pick indicates success.

And, so does the GM.

Williams expects and wants to be back.

"People call me a bust, so when you get that label, there's no pressure," said Williams...

There's no pressure? If you're a bust?

How about that pride!!

Two wins in 2007 would make it a nice looking bell-curve. Maybe that's how they're measuring success. :D

Year W-L-T How finished

2001 2-14-0 Last in NFC Central

2002 3-13-0 Last in NFC Central

2003 5-11-0 Last in NFC Central

2004 6-10-0 Third in NFC North

2005 5-11-0 Third in NFC North

2006 3-13-0 Last in NFC North

It has been the NFC North since 2002. :D

Two wins in 2007 would make it a nice looking bell-curve. Maybe that's how they're measuring success. :D

:bash: .... :D

A nice 4-12 average across 6 seasons. Who else has ever been cut that level of slack? :D

Even Bart Starr was better than that when he coached in Green Bay.

As a Packer fan, this is great news.

It's always nice to have two pretty sure wins on the schedule, but after a point you feel like you're beating up the kids getting off the short bus.

I thought for sure this was the year he gets the axe...instead they fire the asst coaches who only got one year to prove their worth through a myriad of injuries :D

:clap:

Sounds about right for a move the Lions would make. This organization is lacking... everything. :bash:

I could start the next phrase with, "if the Lions were smart they'd draft..." but I have a feeling that would be completely stating the obvious, along with offering the organization a direction not to go with regards to who they should keep an eye on come draft time. :tup::D

OK Khloe, Kim and Kourtney Kardashian I'll take the heat, but while I agree he's made his share of mistakes and probably should go, a lot of this is bandwagon BS and hindsight being 20/20. With the exception of Mike Williams, not many of his top picks were really ripped AT THE TIME THEY WERE MADE.....and even some agreed that while it seemed silly picking a WR w/the top pick again, Rogers was already looking very iffy and Roy Wms had a hard time staying healthy, and Mike Wms was considered good value where he was drafted, so while yes they had other needs, it wasn't like it was unanimously considered so dumb.

And Rogers, Roy Wms, Harrington.....none of those were ripped as bad picks at the time, and many even said his 04 draft was very good.

Really I think Harrington was the "deal buster." If he had been even respectable so would they, and a lot of this talk wouldn't exist. And few argued at the time that Harrington should be picked very near the top.

Edited by BeeR

OK Khloe, Kim and Kourtney Kardashian I'll take the heat, but while I agree he's made his share of mistakes and probably should go, a lot of this is bandwagon BS and hindsight being 20/20. With the exception of Mike Williams, not many of his top picks were really ripped AT THE TIME THEY WERE MADE.....and even some agreed that while it seemed silly picking a WR w/the top pick again, Rogers was already looking very iffy and Roy Wms had a hard time staying healthy, and Mike Wms was considered good value where he was drafted, so while yes they had other needs, it wasn't like it was unanimously considered so dumb.

And Rogers, Roy Wms, Harrington.....none of those were ripped as bad picks at the time, and many even said his 04 draft was very good.

Really I think Harrington was the "deal buster." If he had been even respectable so would they, and a lot of this talk wouldn't exist. And few argued at the time that Harrington should be picked very near the top.

So what?

Results are what matter - in football or anywhere elese. If you lost a lot of money in the stock market year after year, would you stick with your broker because, at the time that he offered you the adive, the stock looked good, even to a lot of people? Hell no. CEO's and people of responsibility are replaced everyday because of poor performance. And you can't say that the Lions are any better after 6 years of the Millen era. What well run company would keep around somebody like that for another year? Its preposterous.

And drafting is only a part of the equation. What about other personnel moves? What has Millen done in 6 years to make the Lions a better team? Nothing.