[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

All Conference Championships should be played in a Dome

Rockerbraves

Agreed.

However...

I think the playing surface should be well maintained. There is an advantage with playing on turf that you are use to, but I don't think that the playing surface should have a contributing impact on either team. Several years ago NE allowed their field to get sloppy before the Colts came to town for the playoffs. They only covered it the 24 hours before the game as required. I didn't like that (being a Colts homer aside) because then it isn't about how one team handles the other, it's about how one team handles the ground.

This year the Bears replaced the turf with sod recently in between the hash marks. It's softer, players are having to wear longer cleats, and I haven't seen so many divots since I went golfing last. I think the field should have been maintained better and had given a chance for better roots. Replace it outside of the off season.

As to the dome vs open air debate, I don't care one way or another. I'm fine with Dome teams having domes, but I don't think playoff games should always be played in a dome. I also don't feel that Super Bowls should always be played in either domes or warm climates either, but I know it's all about the fan's comfort (read: $$$).

Are you telling me that playing on turf, if you are a team built to play on turf, isnt an advantage?! You build your team to your environment. That just part of home field advantage. Why do you think teams that bunt well slope the baselines to hold bunts in play. Why do slower teams let the grass grow longer against faster teams. Why are dome teams typically faster at the skill positions and more offensively oreiented?

This doesnt have anything to do with dome teams outdoor playoff record does it?

Look, its bad enough the Super Bowl never sees any of the climate's that make football great. Why ruin the rest of the playoffs?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No brainer. This is football.

All domes should be demolished. No football should be played on surfaces that can't be fed to livestock.

Man law.

Man Law :D

:D

Should we eliminate tackling as well?

The Cowboys defense already implimented this rule.

Edited by whomper

Putting the Saints/Bears game aside for now, there is no way you could convince me that true football fans want to watch a Super Bowl outdoors in a city like Detroit. :D

Well, maybe not Detroit. But maybe Green Bay, or New England. Why would anyone choose to go to a game in Detroit. :D

Obviously this was started by a Southerner... :D

All domes should be eliminated, it's one of the reasons I hate the Vi-Queens so much! How can you be named after Norse warriors and play indoors? Might as well wear pink paisley uniforms!

I wonder if the bowl game outcomes would be different if Florida and USC were playing outside in the Midwest on Jan 1st? I liked seeing Miami on the smurf turf in their bowl game.

Putting the Saints/Bears game aside for now, there is no way you could convince me that true football fans want to watch a Super Bowl outdoors in a city like Detroit. :D

SB at Lambeau would be wonderful.

I'd rather be outside at Lambeau than in any dome any day.

Obviously this was started by a Southerner... :D

All domes should be eliminated, it's one of the reasons I hate the Vi-Queens so much! How can you be named after Norse warriors and play indoors? Might as well wear pink paisley uniforms!

I wonder if the bowl game outcomes would be different if Florida and USC were playing outside in the Midwest on Jan 1st? I liked seeing Miami on the smurf turf in their bowl game.

Personally I would rather see the Saints play home games outside considering the mild weather we have down here in late September thru mid November, but come time for the Sugar Bowl the dome makes alot of sense. As far as Florida and USC goes, I really don't think Ohio State or Michigan want to play those boys anywhere. :D

I agree - I wish we had an open air stadium...We need all the advantage we can get. It was -25 degrees on Monday morning.

Last Conference Championship to be played in that kind of weather was the AFC's Bengals vs. Chargers. Bengals grounded the "Air Coryell" Chargers 27-7.

That was a record low, 50 degrees below zero, or something absurd like that. That game followed "the game" they played in Miami a week earlier in absurd heat an humidity. One extreme to the other! Gots to love football!

For what it's worth Jimmy Johnson said this morning on the Mike and Mike show that he was pulling for Seattle over the Bears last weekend. Not because he likes the Seahawks, but because he much preferred the NFC Championship game be played in a dome. He's said he's not crazy about cold weather and admitted his coaching wasn't the best in cold games since he looked more like the Michelin Man than coach.

Let's face it football is not a cold weather sport if no one has noticed. Even the Big 10 wraps up their football season before Thanksgiving. Probably one of the coldest bowl games is the Cotton Bowl. Heard tickets were going for as little as $5 even though two big name schools Auburn/Nebraska were playing in it. My guess is that the Cotton Bowl will continue to decline in stature unless they move the game to the new Dallas Cowboy stadium.

Dont guess, its foolish.

If the game was one of the nearby states of Texas, such as Ark, LSU, OU, or even any of the Texas schools vs Nebraska, this would have been an early sell out . Auburn simply didnt travel well, and most in Texas have no ties to Auburn what so ever. I wouldnt expect the Cotton bowl to be moved out of Dallas.

Dont guess, its foolish.

If the game was one of the nearby states of Texas, such as Ark, LSU, OU, or even any of the Texas schools vs Nebraska, this would have been an early sell out . Auburn simply didnt travel well, and most in Texas have no ties to Auburn what so ever. I wouldnt expect the Cotton bowl to be moved out of Dallas.

Not sure where the new Dallas Cowboys stadium is located but that is where I think the Cotton Bowl could flurish and gain back their stature as one of the best bowl games. Just look at what has happened in Atlanta's Peachbowl. Sellouts are the norm. Why? Because the fans know how to pack for the game. Not sure how many people want to wake up early the day after New Year's Eve and go out in tailgate in frezzing conditions.

It's football, play the game in the conditions that it was made for. I say get rid of the Domes personally

+1

Dome teams shold suck it up. If they need ideal conditions to win, play better in the regular season.

I think one of the major problems that has hit Minn and Det the past few decades was having an indoor stadium, putting them at a disadvantage when they had to play Chicago and Green Bay outdoors once a year (or more if they met in playoffs).

+1

Dome teams shold suck it up. If they need ideal conditions to win, play better in the regular season.

I think one of the major problems that has hit Minn and Det the past few decades was having an indoor stadium, putting them at a disadvantage when they had to play Chicago and Green Bay outdoors once a year (or more if they met in playoffs).

Don't misunderstand me, I'm actually against dome stadiums with no retractable roof. You won't find me attending many Saints games in October. To busy playing golf and enjoying the nice weather. The point of the thread is to debate whether or not games of this importance should be played in less than ideal playing conditions. Got to think that has alot to do with playing the Super Bowl either indoor or in a warm climate.

I hear what everyone is saying about "man law" which sounds tough, but it's lame. Got to change with the times and quit living in the past. Football like all sports is constantly changing. When we find a better way to play the game whether it be equipment wise (gloves) or even the use of instant replay we accept it. My guess is that Chicago will have a dome stadium sometime in the near future and hopefully one with a retractable roof. And yes if the dome was in place now they would have the roof closed this weekend.

Edited by Rockerbraves

Not sure where the new Dallas Cowboys stadium is located but that is where I think the Cotton Bowl could flurish and gain back their stature as one of the best bowl games. Just look at what has happened in Atlanta's Peachbowl. Sellouts are the norm. Why? Because the fans know how to pack for the game. Not sure how many people want to wake up early the day after New Year's Eve and go out in tailgate in frezzing conditions.

first off you dont tailgate in the stadium, instead in the freezine temps of the parking lot, so that is a moot point to begin with. Second, the game will stay in Dallas. The mayor of dallas dropped the ball on bringing the Cowboys to the city, and is being crucified in the press for not doing what the former mayor did with the Mavs and Stars, build a downtown arena that is now flourishing. The Cowboys will play 20 mins outside of Dallas in Arlington, and the mayor has already approved something like 80 Mil to renovate the stadium in fair park, to keep the Cotton Bowl at the fair grounds of Texas, where Texas and OU play.

My guess is that Chicago will have a dome stadium sometime in the near future and hopefully one with a retractable roof. And yes if the dome was in place now they would have the roof closed this weekend.

They recently renovated Soldier field without a roof. And they would prefer to play in "Bear Weather."

first off you dont tailgate in the stadium, instead in the freezine temps of the parking lot, so that is a moot point to begin with. Second, the game will stay in Dallas. The mayor of dallas dropped the ball on bringing the Cowboys to the city, and is being crucified in the press for not doing what the former mayor did with the Mavs and Stars, build a downtown arena that is now flourishing. The Cowboys will play 20 mins outside of Dallas in Arlington, and the mayor has already approved something like 80 Mil to renovate the stadium in fair park, to keep the Cotton Bowl at the fair grounds of Texas, where Texas and OU play.

Didn't know it was a Dallas vs. Arlington thing. Whenever anyone says they are going to a Texans Rangers game most think they are headed to Dallas. My guess is that most outsiders like me consider the two cities as one. Apparently not.