[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So those with recent Drunk Driving experience

CarryTheRock

If they make you attend "the class", make sure you lie your ass off about how much you drink (even if it isn't much) Anything more than 2 drinks in one sitting once a week gets classified as a "problem drinker" and then they make your life more miserable. More classes, AA meetings, court appointed psychologist visits, etc...

I got one about 8 years ago and fortunately had this advice going in. Another guy in my class got completely screwed and he didn't drink that much.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it help if you went to one of the Judges you know well and ask his advice. Let him know you are remoreful and will take responsibility. Ask for his advice on what to do, or is this a totally bad idea?

The last person from whom I would ask legal advice is a judge.

I wasn't making light of the situation or the crime. However, I do think the illegal BAC level is flirting with a level that is lower than it needs to be. In fact, I think it is very safe to say that there are a ton of people legally on the roads each day that are far more dangerous than a skilled driver with .09 BAC. Of course, that isn't the question because we all know the rules going in.

I'm also not talking about people who do this regularly. I'm talking about people who do "avoid" it. I "avoid" it but I'd be a liar if I said that I never have. I guess that was my point.

I totally agree, it doesn't discredit the seriousness of the issue to truthfully point out that DUI's are a big bueacratic money making racket for local, county, and state govts; lawyers; and alcohol treatment centers to name a few. You also have your guys that can seriously F up their lives driving with a 0.09 BAC.

My name is The Peanut Guy. I drove drunk many times from the age of 16 on. I am certainly not proud of that fact, and dont do it anymore. Just saying that this could have happened to any of us.

CTR: Good luck my man. The 2 days in jail will be a piece of cake. Nothing to worry about at all and you will get to watch tv, play cards, dominos, etc. If you are scared for some reason, they can put you in the hole. That sucks because you will be in a room the size of your bathroom with no tv for 2 days. I personally wouldnt do that but it an option if you are sweating the jail time.

If you get a lawyer, you may not have to worry about jailtime at all.

But as was mentioned, each state is slightly different on how they handle it.

1st, offense, just basically be ready to shell out some dough, and play along as long as it takes to get through it. It'll get better... Good luck!

Agreed. I have no sympathy for drunk drivers. However, the limits we have are too low. The .10 that most states used to have was just right. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Find me ONE account of someone at .08 running over a kid on the side of the road. You don't see it. Whenever you read about a drunk driver in the paper they're at like .15 or .20, not .08. So treating someone who is .08 like people who are truly drunk is excessive, unwarranted, and unnecessary.

While I agree with your sentiments in theory, I'll give you an account of ONE person that affected others' lives with a .08.

It is with a heavy heart and a twinge of embarrassment that I say I probably have the most "life experiences" tied to drinking & driving.

I never came out public with this, but I got a DUI last March. Without going into much detail, it was essentially BS; I ran out of gas less than 40 feet from my condo. I was trying to pull my truck into a parking lot and it died right there on the driveway. Cops came, rest is history. Tough lesson, but looking back, worth it.

And secondly, most importantly, and to debunk your "no one with a .08 kills anyone" theory, I was in a one-car accident on Super Bowl Sunday, 2004, where a friend-of-a-friend fell asleep at the wheel after an all-night drink-fest in Mexico. He rolled my friend's truck (friend was sleeping, I was sleeping in back cab) and killed my friend on impact. I'm lucky to be alive. So don't give me any BS about people with low(er) BACs not running anyone over. Again, I agree that MOST with .08 +/- are probably "fine" (hell, that's what got ME in trouble), but there ARE instances where bad things happen.

If you get a lawyer, you may not have to worry about jailtime at all.

But as was mentioned, each state is slightly different on how they handle it.

1st, offense, just basically be ready to shell out some dough, and play along as long as it takes to get through it. It'll get better... Good luck!

Iowa has a minimum of 2 days. Fine, I deserve it. Just don't want more than that. I have not had a run in with the law for years. I know most get the minimum but the thought of more has me paranoid.

last time this subject came up, i linked to a BAC calculator that said (IIRC), that if you're a 200 pound man, you hit .08 after you drink about 4 beers in an hour.

so, if you have a half bottle of wine, or a couple beers with dinner, you should be fine to drive. if you knock back 4 or 5 during a 3 and a half hour football game, you should be fine to drive.

seems fairly reasonable to me :D

+1 Irish you are a dik head. Every one of us have made mistakes, even tools like you. Many of us, including me have driven drunk or stoned. By for the grace of God go I in this situation.

Hey Peanut Brain, You're a total newb that showed up late to the party just to try and pick a fight with me. I made my comments, apologized, took my lumps and passed on my heartfelt wishes that everything works out for CRT. I don't have to explain sh1t to you, as you're a nobody on this board with your 90 posts. Mind your manners and stop looking for trouble with me or you'll be nothing but peanut brittle. The thread was started by CRT to give advice (I made a mistake), so either give advice and move on or keep your mouth shut. Got it newb!!! :D:D

Call me a dancing monkey if you will but this little punk had it coming as this was the 2nd time he's done this. I took my lumps, it was dropped and this little peanut has to come along to stir the sh1t up again.

:bash:

While I agree with your sentiments in theory, I'll give you an account of ONE person that affected others' lives with a .08.

It is with a heavy heart and a twinge of embarrassment that I say I probably have the most "life experiences" tied to drinking & driving.

I never came out public with this, but I got a DUI last March. Without going into much detail, it was essentially BS; I ran out of gas less than 40 feet from my condo. I was trying to pull my truck into a parking lot and it died right there on the driveway. Cops came, rest is history. Tough lesson, but looking back, worth it.

And secondly, most importantly, and to debunk your "no one with a .08 kills anyone" theory, I was in a one-car accident on Super Bowl Sunday, 2004, where a friend-of-a-friend fell asleep at the wheel after an all-night drink-fest in Mexico. He rolled my friend's truck (friend was sleeping, I was sleeping in back cab) and killed my friend on impact. I'm lucky to be alive. So don't give me any BS about people with low(er) BACs not running anyone over. Again, I agree that MOST with .08 +/- are probably "fine" (hell, that's what got ME in trouble), but there ARE instances where bad things happen.

You obviously have a bias given your history, and I'm sorry to hear about your friend. However,

1) This accident sounds more like a problem of someone driving when they should have been sleeping than having to do with alcohol. This is the other thing the fear mongerers use - they classify any accident where someone had anything to drink as a drinking related accident, whether the alcohol had anything to do with it or not. You could be sitting at a light stopped and someone just comes up and rear ends you, and if had had one beer that night it would be classified as an alcohol related accident. The statistics are purposely misleading.

2) You haven't shown that the driver of the truck you were in was at .08 or less. If you guys were all in an all night drunk fest it sounds more like he was over that limit.

Whatever. You're entitled to your opinion. Don't let your lack of facts deter you.

last time this subject came up, i linked to a BAC calculator that said (IIRC), that if you're a 200 pound man, you hit .08 after you drink about 4 beers in an hour.

Well, my body is totally differnet than a normal 200 pound man or when I got pulled over the cops drunk driving machines were all screwed up.

Iowa has a minimum of 2 days. Fine, I deserve it. Just don't want more than that. I have not had a run in with the law for years. I know most get the minimum but the thought of more has me paranoid.

Dude,

Have you spoken to a lawyer yet? You're assuming you'll be convicted of DUI and that's not necessarily the case. I guess you WANT the book thrown at you. Ugh. :D

Hey Peanut Brain, You're a total newb that showed up late to the party just to try and pick a fight with me. I made my comments, apologized, took my lumps and passed on my heartfelt wishes that everything works out for CRT. I don't have to explain sh1t to you, as you're a nobody on this board with your 90 posts. Mind your manners and stop looking for trouble with me or you'll be nothing but peanut brittle. The thread was started by CRT to give advice (I made a mistake), so either give advice and move on or keep your mouth shut. Got it newb!!! :D:D

Call me a dancing monkey if you will but this little punk had it coming as this was the 2nd time he's done this. I took my lumps, it was dropped and this little peanut has to come along to stir the sh1t up again.

Wrong on all counts.

I'd stop now, you're already getting a big blackball rolled your way.

Too drunk too see the gas gauge huh? :tup:

Oh and did you call AAA?

:huh: I left the condo at about 8pm knowing I was low on gas, but had made the round trip many, many times and was pretty sure I was going to make it there and back with no issues. I made the mistake (one of many, actually) of driving past my abode to stop by Jack in the Box, which caused all this crap. Stupid tacos. The dumbass tow truck driver ate my burger and tacos, too.

I didn't have AAA at the time. :doh:

:clap:

You obviously have a bias given your history, and I'm sorry to hear about your friend. However,

1) This accident sounds more like a problem of someone driving when they should have been sleeping than having to do with alcohol. This is the other thing the fear mongerers use - they classify any accident where someone had anything to drink as a drinking related accident, whether the alcohol had anything to do with it or not. You could be sitting at a light stopped and someone just comes up and rear ends you, and if had had one beer that night it would be classified as an alcohol related accident. The statistics are purposely misleading.

2) You haven't shown that the driver of the truck you were in was at .08 or less. If you guys were all in an all night drunk fest it sounds more like he was over that limit.

Whatever. You're entitled to your opinion. Don't let your lack of facts deter you.

Oh, forgot to mention, he blew a .085. Lack of facts?

Fact: The guy was "legally" drunk

Fact: The alcohol caused him to be overly tired

Fact: My friend is dead

Need any more?

Again, I think .08 is a ridiculous number. As Az pointed out, if you as much as smell a beer, you're basically "drunk" in the eyes of the law. But this moranic rant about "misleading statistics" is downright stupid.

Wrong on all counts.

I'd stop now, you're already getting a big blackball rolled your way.

:lol: Indeed.

Oh, forgot to mention, he blew a .085. Lack of facts?

Fact: The guy was "legally" drunk

Fact: The alcohol caused him to be overly tired

Fact: My friend is dead

Need any more?

Again, I think .08 is a ridiculous number. As Az pointed out, if you as much as smell a beer, you're basically "drunk" in the eyes of the law. But this moranic rant about "misleading statistics" is downright stupid.

FACT: He was up all night and fell asleep. Can you say with absolute certainty the same thing wouldn't have happened if he was drinking water all night? You're exactly what I was talking about regarding statistics. Could the alcohol have contributed to this accident? Certainly. But to say that it's because he was at .08x is ridiculous. You guys were up partying all night. A combination of lack of sleep, a lot more alcohol than most people drink to get to .08 (he was coming down), and probably a long drive since you were in Mexico, caused that accident. And, of course, he blew .085 a reasonable amount of time AFTER the accident so he might have been significantly higher at the time of the accident. That was a disaster waiting to happen, regardless of the .08 level of the driver at the time of the accident.

Hey irish, just becuase that sloppy drunk of a wh0r3 aunt of yours hasn't gotten hers yet has nothing to do with CRT and his question here.

Go to your silly meetings, climb up your step ladder to your 3' pedastal, and stay the fok outa threads that you have no business in.

Just curious CRT, what was it that prompted them to pull you over?

FACT: He was up all night and fell asleep. Can you say with absolute certainty the same thing wouldn't have happened if he was drinking water all night? You're exactly what I was talking about regarding statistics. Could the alcohol have contributed to this accident? Certainly. But to say that it's because he was at .08x is ridiculous. You guys were up partying all night. A combination of lack of sleep, a lot more alcohol than most people drink to get to .08 (he was coming down), and probably a long drive since you were in Mexico, caused that accident. And, of course, he blew .085 a reasonable amount of time AFTER the accident so he might have been significantly higher at the time of the accident. That was a disaster waiting to happen, regardless of the .08 level of the driver at the time of the accident.

Totally disagree, and there's obviously nothing I can say that will change your mind, so I'll leave it alone.

Totally disagree, and there's obviously nothing I can say that will change your mind, so I'll leave it alone.

What, you don't think partying all night and then driving a long distance is a recipe for disaster? Or do you think that he would have been fine at .05? Really, I really want to know :D

Dude, what does it matter, his friend is dead. Leave this one alone irish jr.

I'm very sorry his friend is dead, and I already said that. And because some lady's son/daughter died we have MADD and it has had an extremely adverse effect on our DUI laws. Public Policy should not be based upon emotion but upon factual evidence. Justifying a .08 legal limit with a story such as this just proves the point.