[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So those with recent Drunk Driving experience

CarryTheRock

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to apologize once again for making my foolish/toolish remarks earlier. I realize that CRT is going through a very trying time in his life and needed/needs the support of the crew here at the huddle. So I would like to get the train back on the right track in discussing CRT's problem and not interrupting any advice that could be helpful.

Edited by irish

CTR... do you have any family that will be affected by this? How are they reacting if so? Not sure if you have any kids, but if you do, you might want to have a heart to heart with them before this all hits the fan. Also, do you think this will affect your job at all? Might want to have a confidential conversation with someone you trust at work to see how this could hurt you.

I hope this doesn't sound condescending because I mean it sincerely... I'm proud of you for just manning up and accepting the fact that they got you. A lot of people would have a first reaction of blaming the stupid cops for picking on them, etc. I like your approach so far! :D

And before this thread gets locked... (I can't believe I'm typing this) I think you guys might be being a little too hard on Irish. I know he annoys the piss out of a lot of y'all, but he also is one of the few people here that actually admits his F-ups and at least makes an effort to rectify his wrongs.

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I still think there's a place in the Huddle community for Irish.

My wife had to call in to work to her job she has only been at for a month. I have to explain it to my 13 year-old daughter this weekend when I have her. I have not been in trouble in her lifetime. I have a boy who turned three last week that was upset I wasn't home the night I had to spend in jail. That's what worries me about when I have to go in for the madatory time (at least two days). The job...odd thing, I talked to someone on Friday about going back to where I used to work. State does a criminal background check and may not let me work there regardless of what the agency wants. I'm going to throw that one out there anyway.

As far as blaming the cops...ironic, I have always had the attitude that if you don't do it, you won't get caught, so shut up. So I guess I'm taking my own advice on that one.

As far as irish goes. I have not read any of his post since his first one. The one with all the gramlins he actually went back to edit to add those...funny guy. I put him on ignore shortly after. Anyway, he did send a PM apologizing, guess he didn't have to do that.

CTR,

Back on track. I got a DUI in Ohio in 1997. I had a $500 fine, $273 in court costs, and three days of "treatment". I had to pay like $260 for this. Anyway the point of this post is to ask someone that knows what is typical for first timers. When I got mine I was in college and I mowed lawns for people. One was a retired judge. My employer took me to my mow a few days after my incident. His parents and the judge were neighbors. The judge told me a few things. First plead no contest. You are accepting the facts as stated not guilt. Dress well, be polite and don't get a lawyer. The only thing the guys got with lawyers was out of court ealier. I waited two hours to come before the judge and the guys with lawyers went first. Same sentence same fine etc. Every state is different, the judge may be having a bad day. You obviously have some legal connections from your relationships with judges, so there should be an attorney that you feel comfortable asking a few questions of. Good Luck. It sucks, and your insurance rates ramp up and I was even declined for health insurance shortly after because of mine. Have I driven after drinking since. Yes, do I try not to? Absolutely.

As far as irish goes. I have not read any of his post since his first one. The one with all the gramlins he actually went back to edit to add those...funny guy. I put him on ignore shortly after. Anyway, he did send a PM apologizing, guess he didn't have to do that.

Yes, he is really a great guy... :D

As far as your jail time, I bet they will let you do it over a weekend. That way you dont have to miss any work. No need to share this story with either of your kids. Its none of their business and I dont see why they need to know about it.

CTR,

Back on track. I got a DUI in Ohio in 1997. I had a $500 fine, $273 in court costs, and three days of "treatment". I had to pay like $260 for this. Anyway the point of this post is to ask someone that knows what is typical for first timers. When I got mine I was in college and I mowed lawns for people. One was a retired judge. My employer took me to my mow a few days after my incident. His parents and the judge were neighbors. The judge told me a few things. First plead no contest. You are accepting the facts as stated not guilt. Dress well, be polite and don't get a lawyer. The only thing the guys got with lawyers was out of court ealier. I waited two hours to come before the judge and the guys with lawyers went first. Same sentence same fine etc. Every state is different, the judge may be having a bad day. You obviously have some legal connections from your relationships with judges, so there should be an attorney that you feel comfortable asking a few questions of. Good Luck. It sucks, and your insurance rates ramp up and I was even declined for health insurance shortly after because of mine. Have I driven after drinking since. Yes, do I try not to? Absolutely.

Great info here, couldn't have said it any better... exactly where I'm at at this point... minus the fees (much higher in Cali), time (3 months of class + AA) and time since it's happened (just a year for me).

I haven't applied for personal health insurance (or a Texas driver's license for that matter), but I suspect that the gubment here in Texas couldn't care less about what happened in f'in California. :D

I'm not going to read through this entire mongolian clusterOprah to see if this has been posted, but it is probably in your best interests to get an attorney for several reasons. First, you will likely need help getting some sort of driving permit, and an attorney can help you through that process as it can be complicated. Second, if you just go in and plea to the court or deal with a prosecutor pro se, you will likely get the screws put to you. Third, in almost every state, there is a minimum mandatory sentencing requirement whether you plead guilty or have a trial and are found guilty. Therefore, in my opinion, you lose nothing by trying the case to a judge. A good lawyer can often get you off on a technicality or just by getting a cop to trip up on the stand. Given the consequences, it is at least worth the money to have an attorney review it, IMO.

Not trying to minimize any of this stuff, but.......

My wife had to call in to work to her job she has only been at for a month. I have to explain it to my 13 year-old daughter this weekend when I have her. I have not been in trouble in her lifetime. I have a boy who turned three last week that was upset I wasn't home the night I had to spend in jail.

Why did/does any of this have to take place? Your kids won't understand any of this. I don't see what the point of involving them would be. Maybe I have to backtrack on the story some more, but I don't understand why your wife would have to miss work except to beat the Sega! out of you for being a dumbass.

That's what worries me about when I have to go in for the madatory time (at least two days). The job...odd thing, I talked to someone on Friday about going back to where I used to work. State does a criminal background check and may not let me work there regardless of what the agency wants. I'm going to throw that one out there anyway.

Listen to what people are telling you here. YOU WILL NOT DO JAIL TIME. Call an attorney, at least for consultation. Man up and take responsibility for your actions and the court will love you. This is a big deal, but it's not as big a deal as getting into an accident and injuring someone would have been.

I mean not to hijack this thread, but a couple of questions for our lawyers and people in the know:

1) Is your slate ever wiped clear for a DUI?

2) In a job interview/application, when a question comes up about a DUI, does one have to admit it even if it happened 20 years ago?

The reason I ask is that an old friend/neighbor and I were talking and her daughter had a DUI @ 18-19yo, which was ~20 years ago. She applied for a job at a CA PD to do PT work for the 911 line. The application pretty much stated (or the person admin'ing it) said if you EVER had a DUI, don't even apply!

Is that legal?

Is that fair?

I call BS if they ca do that! It's like you were arrested for shoplifting @ 13yo, so write off any job that deals w/ money, goods, etc??? Comments??

Sorry for the hijack, but this thread might be getting gunned as I type anyway.

Edit for:

Or should I start a new post?

Edited by rocknrobn26

CTR,

Good info...

I'm not going to read through this entire mongolian clusterOprah to see if this has been posted, but it is probably in your best interests to get an attorney for several reasons. First, you will likely need help getting some sort of driving permit, and an attorney can help you through that process as it can be complicated. Second, if you just go in and plea to the court or deal with a prosecutor pro se, you will likely get the screws put to you. Third, in almost every state, there is a minimum mandatory sentencing requirement whether you plead guilty or have a trial and are found guilty. Therefore, in my opinion, you lose nothing by trying the case to a judge. A good lawyer can often get you off on a technicality or just by getting a cop to trip up on the stand. Given the consequences, it is at least worth the money to have an attorney review it, IMO.

Good info as well. There is a minimum of 2 days jail in Iowa. I'm just concerned with making sure I don't get more than that.

Not trying to minimize any of this stuff, but.......

Why did/does any of this have to take place? Your kids won't understand any of this. I don't see what the point of involving them would be. Maybe I have to backtrack on the story some more, but I don't understand why your wife would have to miss work except to beat the Sega! out of you for being a dumbass.

Listen to what people are telling you here. YOU WILL NOT DO JAIL TIME. Call an attorney, at least for consultation. Man up and take responsibility for your actions and the court will love you. This is a big deal, but it's not as big a deal as getting into an accident and injuring someone would have been.

My wife had to miss work because we don't have daycare for our 3 year-old. She didn't answer when i called and didn't get the message until 4:30am. I wasn't let out until early afternoon.

As far as my kid, she is a smart 13 and lives with her mother 30 miles away. Soon I will not be able to make the drive to get her and will have to make other arrangments...she will catch on.

Thanks again to everyone who has offered input. I'm going to at least consult with a lawyer. I can't afford to pay one up front but I have to see if there is one that will let me pay with interest.

Edited by CarryTheRock