[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tim Hardaway

Skrappy1

This is the part that I found to be the most amusing:

If you have 12 other ballplayers in your locker room that are upset and can't concentrate and always worried about him in the locker room or on the court it's going to be hard for your teammates to win and accept him as a teammate.

As if the gay guy is just quietly waiting to pounce on one of his teammates... all he needs is for someone to stray from the pack and drop their guard, then WHAM its gay humpy time!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardaway's comments are extreme, of course.

Others have made statements about not wanting a homosexual team mate around, or hitting on them ,etc., and are getting heat on local radio in Boston as well.

Here's the problem I have with this whole thing...

If a player on a team voices that he is uncomfortable sharing a locker room with a homosexual male, he gets roasted. But should he? Is it possible that the guy feels like he's getting unwanted sexual attention form a gay male? Should he have to shower with someone that would look on him as a potential sexual partner, and not be allowed to feel violated by that?

There is a clear separation of men and women when it comes to locker rooms, bathrooms, changing rooms, etc. Is this based on anything more than removing any discomfort or worse unwanted advance that could be caused by sexual element if men and women were to share these facilities up to and including the scenario where they would have to share a shower?

So, why is it different for a guy to feel like he should not have to be subject to another guy sneaking a peek at his goods and having sexual thoughts?

This is the part that I found to be the most amusing:

As if the gay guy is just quietly waiting to pounce on one of his teammates... all he needs is for someone to stray from the pack and drop their guard, then WHAM its gay humpy time!

Thanks for reaffirming my point. Of locker rooms were coed, would guys be walking around attempting to stuff their bats into any chick that leaned down to pick up her socks?

So, if he said that about blacks or women or retards you'd just chalk that up as keeping it real?

Its one thing to have an opinion like that. Its another thing to broadcast out over the airways. Sure, he has the "right" to do it, but I hope that whatever cache he has as a former athlete evaporates, including any business opportunities.

Why you'd respect a dumbass bigot like that is beyond me. In fact, its shameful.

Ha, you think cause I said that he's intitled to his opinion...that I "respect" him. :D Come on, I didn't say that. I have gay members in my family. I think I'd know more about the topic than you, don't preach to me :D

my question is, why? Why does this guy have to announce to the world that he's gay? He's gay...good for him..where does the need to tell the world that he's gay come from? How many people feel the need to go on tv and announce that they're straight?

I don't care that he's gay, does'nt bother me a bit. What bothers me is that he comes on these shows now absolutely blown away because he's recieving " mean" e-mails from people. Is he really naive enough to think that he would'nt?? :D

$$$$, he's promoting his book :D

Hardaway's comments are extreme, of course.

Others have made statements about not wanting a homosexual team mate around, or hitting on them ,etc., and are getting heat on local radio in Boston as well.

Here's the problem I have with this whole thing...

If a player on a team voices that he is uncomfortable sharing a locker room with a homosexual male, he gets roasted. But should he? Is it possible that the guy feels like he's getting unwanted sexual attention form a gay male? Should he have to shower with someone that would look on him as a potential sexual partner, and not be allowed to feel violated by that?

There is a clear separation of men and women when it comes to locker rooms, bathrooms, changing rooms, etc. Is this based on anything more than removing any discomfort or worse unwanted advance that could be caused by sexual element if men and women were to share these facilities up to and including the scenario where they would have to share a shower?

So, why is it different for a guy to feel like he should not have to be subject to another guy sneaking a peek at his goods and having sexual thoughts?

So what if instead it read like this:

If a player on a team voices that he is uncomfortable sharing a locker room with a caucasian male, he gets roasted. But should he? Is it possible that the guy feels like he's getting unwanted racist attention form a white male? Should he have to shower with someone that would look on him in a potentially racist manner, and not be allowed to feel violated by that?

Here again is the problem, if a homosexual is ACTING on his impulses, that's harassment. If they are not, it isn't. Simply because men aren't comfortable being attractive to someone they are not attracted to (something women, and sheep in spain's case, have had to deal with forever), doesn't justify a full out attack on a lifestyle.

Edited by cre8tiff

"You know, I hate black people, so I let it be known. I don't like black people and I don't like to be around black people. I am racist. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."

Kinda changes things a bit, huh, Mr. Hardaway?

So what if instead it read like this:

Here again is the problem, if a homosexual is ACTING on his impulses, that's harassment. If they are not, it isn't. Simply because men aren't comfortable being attractive to someone they are not attracted to (something women, and sheep in spain's case, have had to deal with forever), doesn't justify a full out attack on a lifestyle.

Are you trying to directly correlate racial feelings with sexual feelings?

More to the point, did I justify an attack on a lifestyle?

No.

Did I support Hardaway's comments?

No.

Did I talk about other players stating their discomfort with the situation, people that didn't express hate, just discomfort? And am I talking about their right to not have to be subjected to that, the same way a woman doesn't have to be subject to a men's locker room?

Yes.

Did you even read what I wrote?

Doesn't look like it.

I think I will defer to you experts in pole smokeage...

This subject has really had HUGH impacts on my life and still does to this day cause I'm not one to brush things under the rug. If you only knew you probably wouldn't joke around with my comments Spain. I don't ever make remarks about you and sheep do I? Theres a reason for that, it's a sensitive subject that I've had to deal with since I was little. Making comments about gays doesn't bother me one bit, but I do get a little defensive when people that don't know me, my family or my families history make jokes. So please don't. I still love them eventhough they are gay, but they negatively impacted my life and that is something I will never forget and will take to my grave.

"You know, I hate black people, so I let it be known. I don't like black people and I don't like to be around black people. I am racist. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."

Kinda changes things a bit, huh, Mr. Hardaway?

I does, but race and homosexuality are two completely different topics.

my question is, why? Why does this guy have to announce to the world that he's gay? He's gay...good for him..where does the need to tell the world that he's gay come from? How many people feel the need to go on tv and announce that they're straight?

I don't care that he's gay, does'nt bother me a bit. What bothers me is that he comes on these shows now absolutely blown away because he's recieving " mean" e-mails from people. Is he really naive enough to think that he would'nt?? :D

The whole, "I don't care if you want to be gay, just keep it to yourself" version of "tolerance" always amuses me.

Tell me that you are not serious when you compare announcing that you are gay and announcing that you are straight.

If people were genuinely accepting of homosexuality, there would be no need for people to make a big deal about coming out. Obviously people aren't, so they have to. Sports is a place where it is particularly important because I would imagine the demographic that follows it is more conservative than not. Perhaps the message, "Hey gay-hating bigot, your son may have a poster of a gay man in his bedroom. How do you like them apples? And you know what, it is really OK. I'm just doing my job and that job happens to be playing basketball.", needs to be said.

I does, but race and homosexuality are two completely different topics.

Yeah... I mean nobody would ever CHOOSE to be black. Right? :D

[The above comment is 100% in jest. This disclaimer should remove all doubt and cover my ass in a way that no :D ever could.]

Yeah... I mean nobody would ever CHOOSE to be black. Right? :D

[The above comment is 100% in jest. This disclaimer should remove all doubt and cover my ass in a way that no :D ever could.]

So you think Hardaway wants to be white? :bash:

Are you trying to directly correlate racial feelings with sexual feelings?

More to the point, did I justify an attack on a lifestyle?

No.

Did I support Hardaway's comments?

No.

Did I talk about other players stating their discomfort with the situation, people that didn't express hate, just discomfort? And am I talking about their right to not have to be subjected to that, the same way a woman doesn't have to be subject to a men's locker room?

Yes.

Did you even read what I wrote?

Doesn't look like it.

I for one, do not think a guy should be roasted for simply saying that there are certain elements of having a gay teammate makes him uncomfortable. It is completely understandable and, as Nick has said, society wouldn't say boo if a woman managed to make an NBA squad and the team had her shower in another room.

That doesn't mean that gay men should be required to use a separate locker room, but gay men should also understand that some teammates would feel uncomfortable and the issue would need to be addressed. I don't think it would be asking too much for the guy to somehow meet them halfway in terms of making the situation as chill as possible. Not exactly sure what that would be, but I would guess that someone in Amici's shoes would be happy to make some concessions if it meant that he didn't have to be so secretive about his life.

I for one, do not think a guy should be roasted for simply saying that there are certain elements of having a gay teammate makes him uncomfortable. It is completely understandable and, as Nick has said, society wouldn't say boo if a woman managed to make an NBA squad and the team had her shower in another room.

That doesn't mean that gay men should be required to use a separate locker room, but gay men should also understand that some teammates would feel uncomfortable and the issue would need to be addressed. I don't think it would be asking too much for the guy to somehow meet them halfway in terms of making the situation as chill as possible. Not exactly sure what that would be, but I would guess that someone in Amici's shoes would be happy to make some concessions if it meant that he didn't have to be so secretive about his life.

Separate shower stalls in the mens locker room takes care of this issue. Done.

EDIT: And to Detlef's point, Michelle Wie and Anika Sorenstam don't get forced to shower with the guys just because they are in a PGA event.

Edited by Caveman_Nick