[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Naming kids

Tford

As some of you may or may not know, my wife is pregnant with identical twins. So given that choosing a name can be hard for just one kid, the wife and I figured that we'd work hard to nail down names right away.

I got to choose the names if they are boys:

Oldest : Quentin James

Youngest: Austin Michael

James is traditionally in the name of the oldest boy of the generation so that was already hammered out.

The wife chose the girl names; Kylie and Terra. Middle names undecided. But she asked me how we would decide who would be named who and I honestly didn't have an answer for her. I told her that I would enlist some opinions.

How would you decide?

Oldest gets the alphabetically first name?

Wing it when they are born?

Flip for it?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As some of you may or may not know, my wife is pregnant with identical twins. So given that choosing a name can be hard for just one kid, the wife and I figured that we'd work hard to nail down names right away.

James is traditionally in the name of the oldest boy of the generation so that was already hammered out.

The wife chose the girl names; Kylie and Terra. Middle names undecided. But she asked me how we would decide who would be named who and I honestly didn't have an answer for her. I told her that I would enlist some opinions.

How would you decide?

Flip for it?

oldest

Wing it when they were born.

The wife and I were misdiagnosed with twins early on in the pregnancy - actually diagnosed monoamniotic but that's another story. We decided that we were just going to wing it once they came out.

Luckily, we're only having one now which made the naming easier. :D

Flip for it?

I'm not the kid expert here by any means, but I don't think you're supposed to be flipping them for a few days.

Go with oldest and name them Conrad and Dobler if they're boys. :D

I'm not the kid expert here by any means, but I don't think you're supposed to be flipping them for a few days.

Go with oldest and name them Conrad and Dobler if they're boys. :D

I figured you would be first to recommend Kirk and Scottie.

How would you decide?

Flip for it?

Go with the alphabetical.

Also, Terra's middle name should be either "Firma" or "Incognita".

(of course, you could go with the old time-honored tradition of naming your kid after a Canadian headache medicine.)

Edited by wiegie

Go with the alphabetical.

Also, Terra's middle name should be either "Firma" or "Incognita".

(of course, you could go with the old time-honored tradition of naming your kid after a Canadian headache medicine.)

:D

What about Terra Haute?

I wanted to name my son Wolf but that was shot down along with other cool names like Blade, Mace and Baron. She wanted family names from her side but that was either Swedish or German sounding names that would not play out as well here (and that I hated anyway).

We finally agreed on either "William David" or "Brian Austin" and decided not to name him until we saw him. When he made his appearance, he just looked more like a Brian than a William to me. I am of the mind that when you see them, you know what their name is.

I wanted to name my son Wolf but that was shot down along with other cool names like Blade, Mace and Baron. She wanted family names from her side but that was either Swedish or German sounding names that would not play out as well here (and that I hated anyway).

We finally agreed on either "William David" or "Brian Austin" and decided not to name him until we saw him. When he made his appearance, he just looked more like a Brian than a William to me. I am of the mind that when you see them, you know what their name is.

I know some people that were going to name their kid Lance but when he came out the mother decided on Hank because he wasn't an attractive baby and in her words "An ugly kid would never be able to pull off the name Lance." :D

top 10 names for 2006

Girl Names

1 Emma

2 Madison

3 Ava

4 Emily

5 Isabella

6 Kaitlyn

7 Sophia

8 Olivia

9 Abigail

10 Hailey