[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A question of ethics

Grits and Shins

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not wrong for anyone to go for the position they want/are best at. also nothing wrong with saying "hey, my preference is for C, but i am willing to play another position if it's in the best interest of the team"
If this was a bunch of 9 year olds in the local little league, I would say it's good for everyone to play and sometimes it's good for the team to make a sacrifice so that everyone gets a chance. However it's not 9 year olds in a little league team. It's getting into more competitive leagues where the teams can be selective and it really is the team that should come first, as Bier Meister said, what's in teh best interest of the team. If Jamie or her father have a problem with it, then it's them that have the issue, not you. Now if you were the coach making the decision, things might be viewed a little different.

Your daughter got that position because of her skill and for no other reason and deserves to play. A good life's lesson is to be able to appreciate those things in which we excel and press forward with graciousness, as well as accept those times when we aren't as skilled or gifted as we would like to be in specific areas. This is something that lasts long after 18U softball. Your daughter and Jaime look like good friends in the picture. This is a situation that shouldn't jeapardize their friendship.

Your daughter obviously has a catchers body and should excel greatly at that position more then any other with the exception of 1st base or maybe pitcher but we know she's not a pitcher and from a skilll level catcher is more important and more difficult, you need a good catcher.

The local high school team here has a monster for a catcher. All state as a Soph. I was standing next to her at the HS baseball game and I was afraid she was going to kick my asz.

All joking aside, your daughter is a catcher. Can't worry about her friend, she'll have to find another position plus she has the body to play an infield position more-so.

Has anyone seriously talked to the other girl about her bleak future in athletics and tried to steer her towards home ec? Someone needs to step in and tell her the truth to prep her for the future.

As a young athlete I competed against my friends for years. I would never EVER have held back my skills in any sport for fear of hurting the feelings of one of my friends that was competing against me.

It doesn't have to be a mean or nasty competition between the girls... in fact, their friendship should allow them to help each other to get better by fighting for an exclusive spot.

Yes, the one on the right with the purse

ok, so I take back what I said earlier but the premise still holds true (I think). Your best athletes should be up the middle so don't worry about hurting feelings, hopefully this will drive her friend to get better and maybe beat out your daughter next year on JV or even Varsity and then maybe your daughter should practice other things in the meantime just to have a backup plan.

So she's not a good middle infielder?

Does your daughter have the purse or not? I'm not exactly sure which is your daughter now after reading some of the posts.

Thanks for adding this bit as it made me go back and realize that I confused the two somehow. The other girl is somewhat prettier but heavier as well and looks more like catcher material. Your daughter looks more like a 2nd baseman/infielder. Regardless good for her winning the spot she's wants most.

If she earned the spot, let her play it.

Irish, Blitz has you on ignore, asking him questions is a waste of time. :D

He can't see my posts at all? I thought it showed up that I posted but only says that he's ignoring me in the space instead of my actual message. However, doesn't it give you an option to read the posts if you choose? Cause in the past he's responded to me as part of a response to someone else's post and just not acknowledged that I'd asked the question. That ignore feature is pretty silly, I mean how many people actually use it? And don't go where I think you're going to.

He can't see my posts at all? I thought it showed up that I posted but only says that he's ignoring me in the space instead of my actual message. However, doesn't it give you an option to read the posts if you choose? Cause in the past he's responded to me as part of a response to someone else's post and just not acknowledged that I'd asked the question. That ignore feature is pretty silly, I mean how many people actually use it? And don't go where I think you're going to.

He sees your posts, but not the context, and based on past history, I'm quite certain he's not pressing the little "view this post" button.

I only have 1 person on ignore, and they posted in this thread.

He sees your posts, but not the context, and based on past history, I'm quite certain he's not pressing the little "view this post" button.

I only have 1 person on ignore, and they posted in this thread.

Just posted or started it as well? :D

Oh and by the way you better believe that Grits has pushed that little "view the post" button. Maybe not all the time but I'd bet quite often. I wouldn't know but just by having that button there makes you curious and want to push it to see what was posted. It's like the fart button that used to be on the main page. Sometimes you just can't help it, it's human nature. And besides, like I said before, he has responded to my statements just not directly.

Edited by irish

skins

Good guess, forgot he posted in this one. Would've been my next logical choice.

The other thing that crossed our mind is that we were hoping to get her OF reps in an effort to improve her chances at making next year's varsity team as an OF. Well, obviously, she won't be getting those reps so she might have put herself back on the JV team. But that is for the future, she is just excited to be playing again.

So, I assume this means you feel the varsity catcher is better than your daughter. Why would your daughter not try out for catcher at varsity?