[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Michael Vick

devilwoman

he's got his own charitable foundation that is actively trying to solicit donations, and he kicked these efforts off by donating $10K of his own money, which may not be an enormous sum for him, but is still a lot of money.

I don't care who you are, $10k is a lot of money. Equating $10k to $1 or $6 based on percentages is so beyond the point. If you donated $1 or $6 or $10k or $25k it's all welcomed and appreciated.

If I woke up tomorrow with Vick's net worth, $10k would still be a lot of money. I mean I wouldn't spend $10k on a burger and fries down the street tomorrow. It previously cost $6 but $10k is now the proportionate amount of my net worth compared to yesterday so that's the same thing. Riiiiiiight...

And the fact he got a scholarship has nothing to do with his contribution. He's not indebted to VTech. The argument can be made that he made a ton of money for VTech and its athletic program while he was there and it continues to pay dividends since he went high in the draft which draws top recruits etc.

How much and the manner in which he went about it is beside the point. This was published by United Way--link here. Note he was the FIRST gift to the fund. All parties benefit... high profile athlete donation, press for the United Way, which should result in more money for the victims' families. Shame on anyone putting a negative spin on any part of that scenario.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giving money to others who need it is a great thing.

Oh really? I'm thinking if Vick didn't donate a fricking dime publicly or try to raise charity awareness, there wouldn't be as many little yapper dogs foaming at the mouth and trying to bite at his heels.

I'm sincerely disgusted.

Edited by bushwacked

First, it is not my place (or yours, imo) to condemn or lavish praise upon someone who has donated ANYTHING to people who have suffered a tragedy such as this. It is not my responsibility to police how much someone donates to a charity. You can donate all you want, or as little as you want. That is your free choice. But to condemn someone else for giving at all smacks of bitterness.

I'm appalled that people here believe that they can determine how much someone should give simply based upon how much overall money that person makes. He didn't have to give a dime at all. Nobody does, but thank God there are those that do.

:D

I don't care who you are, $10k is a lot of money. Equating $10k to $1 or $6 based on percentages is so beyond the point. If you donated $1 or $6 or $10k or $25k it's all welcomed and appreciated.

Agreed. No doubt that Vick's doing this in part to repair his image, but $10k is still a ton of cash and donating to charity is always a positive thing.

I was going to type something out until I read this:

If I woke up tomorrow with Vick's net worth, $10k would still be a lot of money. I mean I wouldn't spend $10k on a burger and fries down the street tomorrow. It previously cost $6 but $10k is now the proportionate amount of my net worth compared to yesterday so that's the same thing. Riiiiiiight...

And the fact he got a scholarship has nothing to do with his contribution. He's not indebted to VTech. The argument can be made that he made a ton of money for VTech and its athletic program while he was there and it continues to pay dividends since he went high in the draft which draws top recruits etc.

How much and the manner in which he went about it is beside the point. This was published by United Way--link here. Note he was the FIRST gift to the fund. All parties benefit... high profile athlete donation, press for the United Way, which should result in more money for the victims' families. Shame on anyone putting a negative spin on any part of that scenario.

I agree with this. The bottom line is that the guy gave $10k to a group of people he didn't know to help them out. I don't give a rat's ass what his motives are or what percentage of his income that is.

Against my better judgement, I'll give this one last try:

Suppose he had donated $100 instead of $10K. Would you "don't be a hate-ah the amount isn't the important thing" people still feel the same?

That's apples and oranges. He didn't donate $100. He donated $10,000.

This has turned into what is possibly the dumbest thread that I have ever read in these forums. That is no small feat.

And this, my friends, is the smartest thing I've read in this entire thread. Thank you, Brewer.

This has nothing to do with Vick or VTech, but on a side note, Phil Mickelson and his wife just donated $250,000 to the hurricane relief fund in New Orleans for the third year in a row. Pretty cool, even though thats still just a "drop in the bucket" for him.

As far as what Vick donated, I see no problem with it. Had he done nothing, we would not saying nothing about him right now. I'm sure the money is appreciated, no matter what the amount is.

Against my better judgement, I'll give this one last try:

Suppose he had donated $100 instead of $10K. Would you "don't be a hate-ah the amount isn't the important thing" people still feel the same?

I would say that something is far better than nothing & criticizing any charitable act is ridiculous. :D

What would we say if Peyton had donated 10k? PR move?

Some would say :D

Some would say "cheapskate"

Some would say "nice PR move, too bad your heart isn't in it"

Some would say "nice job, but you missed opportunity to do even more with the same amount of money"

...probably about the same as here...

ANYONE who criticizes anyone else who donates their time or money is freakin the LAME ones if you ask me!

So you only hear he is involved in this particular one avenue of donating and it's a public one. One that needs to be public because its the first stepping stone to get the public involved. How the F do you know if he is also doing more on his own thru other back channels or what not? Maybe he's chosen to keep that part private. Oh no, he should be publicizing all of that, so you guys can know he's giving more. More like you'd criticize him for making that public and only doing for the publicity anyway.

Alot of lameness in this thread...

+1 - it has always annoyed me when athletes give to charity, or make a nice gesture and Joe fan complains that is " not enough and not from the heart" - save it. People really gonna sit there and criticize Vick for setting up a fund- the bottom line is it will help, and you all have no clue what Vick or anyone else does with their own dough behind the scenes privately.

10k is still 10k any way you stack it.

Look, it was certainly a nice thing to do. He didn't have to do it, but he did (honestly, I don't think he had a choice....if he did nothing, he REALLY would have been under the microscope). But having received an $80K scholarship from the college, having made millions in the pros and thru endorsements....it just comes off as shallow, and self-serving. That's all.

If it was truly genuine (which we'll never know), or if it comes out later that there is more to his generosity that what is being reported now, then I'll be the first to apologize here to Mr. Vick.

this chit bothers me. IT goes both ways here, so Vick got a full ride scholarship, and a free education.

He also made VTech millions of dollars, and basically put them on his back into becoming a top notch program. VTech would be nowhere near the program they are without him. Mike Vick IS VT football

I dunno, I would say he has given back to VT in many ways-

Math aside, my point is still valid.

Vick threw his $100 (feel better now) into the bucket and called a press conference to announce to the world what a swell guy he is for doing so.

Personally I don't parade around announcing my charitable contributions to the world so that somebody might come along and give me a pat on the back.

Yer schtick is tired. So, Vick sets up a fund, and get's some media attention- who the F cares- why do you care? Pro athletes make donations, and get some PR for it- so what? that is their world, these guys have agents, managers and soem PR people advising them to get some good PR.

Gee, a guy donates 10k - but yer pissing and moaning bc he wants attention for it, and questioning the sincerity of it- what a joke-

and no yer point is not valid- 10k is 10k. period. This whope percentage of income is bullchit-

Bill Gates donates 500k somewhere- is it not good enough because he is worth billions??