[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Michael Vick

devilwoman

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Michael....$10K. Wow. You're all heart.

Ex-Hokie Vick donates $10K to assist victim's families

April 19, 2007

ATLANTA -- Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick has teamed up with the United Way to donate $10,000 to assist families affected by the massacre at Virginia Tech, his former school.

"When tragic things like this happen, families have enough to deal with, and if I can help in some small way, that's the least I can do," said Vick, who played for the Hokies before being drafted No. 1 overall by the Falcons in 2001.

The Vick Foundation is collecting donations from local communities in both Atlanta and Virginia that will be placed in the United In Caring Fund for Victims of the VA Tech Tragedy and the special fund at the United Way of Montgomery, Radford and Floyd counties, which serves the Virginia Tech area.

Vick's foundation said the money will be used to provide help with funeral expenses, transportation for family members and other support services.

$10K for funeral expenses...thats about $300 per family. He's better off donating it privately, than going public to try to make himself look good, and coming off like a fool.

$10K for funeral expenses...thats about $300 per family. He's better off donating it privately, than going public to try to make himself look good, and coming off like a fool.

:D

Unbelievable. The first person to step up and drop a large dime, and all you can do is criticize? The man is leading the way and giving folks who want to help something that they can do, along with a nice kicker to start it off.

:D to your comment.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Darn... a slam post before I got the chance to give an over/under on how fast there would be a slam on Vick.

Huddlers are funny that way.... Vick could have given absolutely every penny he had to his name and everything he owns and there would be a few here would still find something to slam him for.

Darn... a slam post before I got the chance to give an over/under on how fast there would be a slam on Vick.

Huddlers are funny that way.... Vick could have given absolutely every penny he had to his name and everything he owns and there would be a few here would still find something to slam him for.

Any donation be it time, resources, or money is a good thing - regardless of volume.

With that said, Vick donating $10,000 is akin to me donating $10. If I then beat my chest amongst my friends for aforementioned donation I would expect to be called a cheap bastard.

I don't know why, but $10k seems too small to me too. And, $25k does not.

For you and me, $15k is a lot of money; for Vick it is not. $25k seems like more than a 2.5x gesture for some reason ... purely psychological.

Heck, he would have probably been best off, from a PR perspective, if he would have said something like, "I'll match dollar for dollar the first $25k that gets donated to the ________________ Fund through the United Way." This would have created more buzz and the fund would have had an incrementally better kick-off.

In my opinion.

Unbelievable. The first person to step up and drop a large dime, and all you can do is criticize? The man is leading the way and giving folks who want to help something that they can do, along with a nice kicker to start it off.

:D to your comment.

Like I said, he should have just done it privately. I am sure other donaters are not going public with their kind donations.

But I will say that if I was a multi-millionaire, and the alma mater that provided me a free education to persue my football dreams suffered the greatest tragedy in US history, I'd be a little more generous with my donation.

Like I said, he should have just done it privately. I am sure other donaters are not going public with their kind donations.

It is public because they established a fund through which people could make donations.

But I will say that if I was a multi-millionaire, and the alma mater that provided me a free education to persue my football dreams suffered the greatest tragedy in US history, I'd be a little more generous with my donation.

Like all of the other multi-millionare pro football players that have come out of VT are doing?

Really, the negativity surrounding this by now several Huddlers surprises me. Maybe it shouldn't, but it does.

So...he's cheap for doing something and cheap if he does nothing.

Gimme a break guys...he stepped up and did something. He spoke out and then tried to help financially. Has anyone here done anything?

Edited by The Wolf

Look...if Vick really wanted to help, he would have, behind the scenes contacted all active VaTech players in the NFL and asked them to chip in to the pot on a "matching gift" basis.

So, say he, DeAngelo Hall and whomever else in the NFL kicks in $100,000 total ... matching the rest of the US's gifts dollar for dollar ... that'd be $200k raised ... the entire NFL would look good, and Vick would look good for having rallied the VaTech alumns to the schools cause.

Look...if Vick really wanted to help, he would have, behind the scenes contacted all active VaTech players in the NFL and asked them to chip in to the pot on a "matching gift" basis.

So, say he, DeAngelo Hall and whomever else in the NFL kicks in $100,000 total ... matching the rest of the US's gifts dollar for dollar ... that'd be $200k raised ... the entire NFL would look good, and Vick would look good for having rallied the VaTech alumns to the schools cause.

How do we know this isn't happening? The rush to judgment astounds me.

Like all of the other multi-millionare pro football players that have come out of VT are doing?

Really, the negativity surrounding this by now several Huddlers surprises me. Maybe it shouldn't, but it does.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be negative about it. I guess I've grown used to hearing so-and-so player has donated $50,000, $100000 etc to the local (insert charity here). Again, I think it's fantastic that he's doing this & I hope it really does start the ball rolling.

You people crack me up. If he does it privately you would all be jumping on him for not giving. If he does it publicly it's a PR stunt and he is a cheap slob. The guy couldn't win here no matter what he did.

No matter what he gave it wouldn't be enough. Ever.

Count me in the "well la-di-da" camp. This is a barely-noticable fraction of one game check for him. I agree with Muck, an offer to match other people's donations up to a higher limit would have spurred more donating and maybe made a difference. $10K to offset funeral costs would barely make a dent. If this was really a big deal to him he'd have donated much more, IMO. In fact, I wonder if it wasn't entirely the brainchild of his handlers.

Steve Smith donated $3M to MSU to build a student athletic center. I think Mike Vick can spare a little more than $10K to help his school family recover from the most horrific mass murder in US history.

Peace

policy

So...he's cheap for doing something and cheap if he does nothing.

Gimme a break guys...he stepped up and did something. He spoke out and then tried to help financially. Has anyone here done anything?

It just looks really lame for Vick to "team up with the United Way" and hold a presser and announce that he's foregoing the strip club this week and donating the savings to the victims's families.

Peace

policy

I applaud Vick for his donation. In all honesty it doesn't seem like much, kind of like me throwing a dime in the charity can at the local 7-11.

Something (10K) is certainly better than nothing ... but in this case that something (10K) almost amounts to nothing to Vick. It smacks more of a move made for the sake of political correctness than it does of one giving from his heart because of a geniune desire to help.

It just looks really lame for Vick to "team up with the United Way" and hold a presser and announce that he's foregoing the strip club this week and donating the savings to the victims's families.

Peace

policy

Yeah? What lools "lamer," him doing something, regardless of how it is done, or the 13,269 Huddlers doing nothing but reading comments on how what he is doing is cheap and self-serving...and doing nothing about it themselves.

$10 from every Huddler would be a good thing, don't you think?

Yeah? What lools "lamer," him doing something, regardless of how it is done, or the 13,269 Huddlers doing nothing but reading comments on how what he is doing is cheap and self-serving...and doing nothing about it themselves.

$10 from every Huddler would be a good thing, don't you think?

How about we all give the same percentage of our pay that Vick did ... what is that 0.0000000001%?

You people crack me up. If he does it privately you would all be jumping on him for not giving. If he does it publicly it's a PR stunt and he is a cheap slob. The guy couldn't win here no matter what he did.

I completely disagree. It hadn't occurred to me that anyone should or would donate money in the wake of this tragedy. It doesn't seem like money would mean anything in the face of something like this. The timing and nature of the announcement seems very overwrought for what amounts to a symbolic gesture.

No matter what he gave it wouldn't be enough. Ever.

I completely agree . . . but if a multi-millionaire is going to make a grand public gesture of donating money, he should donate an amount that's either more signifcant to him, or more significant to the families.

Peace

policy

I completely disagree. It hadn't occurred to me that anyone should or would donate money in the wake of this tragedy. It doesn't seem like money would mean anything in the face of something like this. The timing and nature of the announcement seems very overwrought for what amounts to a symbolic gesture.

I completely agree . . . but if a multi-millionaire is going to make a grand public gesture of donating money, he should donate an amount that's either more signifcant to him, or more significant to the families.

Peace

policy

He could have afforded to offer to cover the cost of ALL funerals and not felt the pinch and come off as much better.

I agree w/ Policy (who, notably, is agreeing with me).

PS - Sky ... the $10k is great and all, but it smacks of being disingenuous to me. Giving is from the heart ... this smacks of being from his PR department.