[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Michael Vick

devilwoman

Actually, I was kinda surprised about the amount as well. I think that it's fantastic that they are doing this, but 10k is really nothing to him. Still, $10,000 is much better than nothing at all.

You people crack me up. If he does it privately you would all be jumping on him for not giving. If he does it publicly it's a PR stunt and he is a cheap slob. The guy couldn't win here no matter what he did.

No matter what he gave it wouldn't be enough. Ever.

I agree with Rajn and Sky

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You people crack me up. If he does it privately you would all be jumping on him for not giving. If he does it publicly it's a PR stunt and he is a cheap slob. The guy couldn't win here no matter what he did.

No matter what he gave it wouldn't be enough. Ever.

Really, this has nothing to do with it being Mike Vick. If this was Tom Brady or LT or any other star player doing the same thing I would feel the same way.

I completely disagree. It hadn't occurred to me that anyone should or would donate money in the wake of this tragedy. It doesn't seem like money would mean anything in the face of something like this. The timing and nature of the announcement seems very overwrought for what amounts to a symbolic gesture.

I completely agree . . . but if a multi-millionaire is going to make a grand public gesture of donating money, he should donate an amount that's either more signifcant to him, or more significant to the families.

Peace

policy

I was thinking the exact same thing.

$10 from every Huddler would be a good thing, don't you think?

Count me in.

In fact, if we each just gave $1, it would be more than Vick. And I didn't even get a scholarship worth $80K from VT.

Something (10K) is certainly better than nothing ... but in this case that something (10K) almost amounts to nothing to Vick. It smacks more of a move made for the sake of political correctness than it does of one giving from his heart because of a geniune desire to help.

Pretty much dead-on.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

$10 from every Huddler would be a good thing, don't you think?

The more I think about this, the more I like it.

Big John, how many people actively post in here? Say, in the past three months? I bet that times 10 is bigger than $10K.

Maybe we should do a donation drive.

Peace

policy

Big John, how many people actively post in here? Say, in the past three months? I bet that times 10 is bigger than $10K.

Peace

policy

Good man Policy. I sent an IM to DMD a few minutes ago so we'll see what he says as well.

ANYONE who criticizes anyone else who donates their time or money is freakin the LAME ones if you ask me!

So you only hear he is involved in this particular one avenue of donating and it's a public one. One that needs to be public because its the first stepping stone to get the public involved. How the F do you know if he is also doing more on his own thru other back channels or what not? Maybe he's chosen to keep that part private. Oh no, he should be publicizing all of that, so you guys can know he's giving more. More like you'd criticize him for making that public and only doing for the publicity anyway.

Alot of lameness in this thread...

Really, the negativity surrounding this by now several Huddlers surprises me. Maybe it shouldn't, but it does.

+1 How about everyone make their financial situation public so commensurate donations can be assigned to everyone?

Lame...

Edited by kingfish247

ANYONE who criticizes anyone else who donates their time or money is freakin the LAME ones if you ask me!

So you only hear he is involved in this particular one avenue of donating and it's a public one. One that needs to be public because its the first stepping stone to get the public involved. How the F do you know if he is also doing more on his own thru other back channels or what not? Maybe he's chosen to keep that part private. Oh no, he should be publicizing all of that, so you guys can know he's giving more. More like you'd criticize him for making that public and only doing for the publicity anyway.

+1 :D:D:tup::doh::D

Peace

policy

:D 788 people posted in the Huddle in the last 3 months.

:D

If it walks like a duck, smells like a duck, and sounds like a duck ... well then in all likelihood ... it's a duck.

Michael Vick's show of donating $10K which is to him is the equivalent of a nickle or dime to you and me looks alot like that duck called "PR MOVE". Which, if you think about it, says something about the poor quality of his PR staff.

If it walks like a duck, smells like a duck, and sounds like a duck ... well then in all likelihood ... it's a duck.

Michael Vick's show of donating $10K which is to him is the equivalent of a nickle or dime to you and me looks alot like that duck called "PR MOVE". Which, if you think about it, says something about the poor quality of his PR staff.

The United Way is an official charity of the NFL. Michael Vick is the most well-known VT alum. You don't even think there was the slightest chance that some PR person at the NFL or the United Way put this together and reached out to him?

Why does everything have to be analyzed...can't we just accept the gesture and let it go?

There are two types of giving (generally).

The kind that you want people to know about because you want them to get off their duff and do something too.

...and...

The kind that you want to keep private bacause its no one elses business what you do (or don't do) with your money.

...this gift from Vick falls in the first type. If it didn't, he wouldn't have held a press conference.

So, if we go with the thought that Vick wanted to give publicly so that others would also give, he could have gone about it much more effectively had he done it differently. That's my single point. This is a good idea that was VERY poorly executed (sorta like an out pattern where the ball sails over the WRs head out of bounds).

My wife and I give to all sorts of stuff that we believe are important to give to. Most things are done quietly. Only one thing is done publicly (giving to our daughters' school) so that it will hopefully get others off their butts to do something too. We make it public, waving our arms around (if you will), to try to make a bigger deal out of it so others will also waive their hands... Everything else is done behind closed doors and/or anonymously.

That's awesome Muck...I know you and your wife aren't looking for a pat on the back. True givers do because they want to do.

Regardless of how it is handled, the fact that he's being ostracized is inconprehensible to many in this thread. He did give. He did express his sorrow. However it was handled, it already is a lot more than others will ever do in their lives.

He should be commended, not ridiculed.

There are two types of giving (generally).

The kind that you want people to know about because you want them to get off their duff and do something too.

...and...

The kind that you want to keep private bacause its no one elses business what you do (or don't do) with your money.

...this gift from Vick falls in the first type. If it didn't, he wouldn't have held a press conference.

So, if we go with the thought that Vick wanted to give publicly so that others would also give, he could have gone about it much more effectively had he done it differently. That's my single point. This is a good idea that was VERY poorly executed (sorta like an out pattern where the ball sails over the WRs head out of bounds).

My wife and I give to all sorts of stuff that we believe are important to give to. Most things are done quietly. Only one thing is done publicly (giving to our daughters' school) so that it will hopefully get others off their butts to do something too. We make it public, waving our arms around (if you will), to try to make a bigger deal out of it so others will also waive their hands... Everything else is done behind closed doors and/or anonymously.

And I take it then..YOU know for a FACT that Vick isn't doing BOTH??

And here we are talking about putting together a donation drive with a goal of bettering his gift. Maybe that was the plan all along! Astonishingly brilliant. :D

Peace

policy

That's awesome Muck...I know you and your wife aren't looking for a pat on the back. True givers do because they want to do.

Regardless of how it is handled, the fact that he's being ostracized is inconprehensible to many in this thread. He did give. He did express his sorrow. However it was handled, it already is a lot more than others will ever do in their lives.

He should be commended, not ridiculed.

Well the idea of helping relieve the burden of even one of these families is very attractive to me; honestly I hadn't even thought about the expenses related to this--no one should have to deal with that. Vick's gift is timely and needed; I just think it's lame for him to make a big public deal of it if it isn't going to be for a greater amount. I think a Huddle community donation to this fund would be a great idea.

Wolf, any word from DMD yet?

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

Wolf, any word from DMD yet?

Yeah, Policy. He's not really sure what the outlets for donations are and what the funds would be used for; it's not like Katrina or for disease research. I'm going to do a little bit of research tonight and get back tomorrow on this. I think a Huddle group donation would be awesome...whatever we could do.

This is a sensitive subject for me because, as the parent of a newborn, I think about the parents of these poor kids...no parent should have to go through that. If, in some small way, we can give them one less thing to take care of, then maybe we'll have helped them start the healing process.

And I take it then..YOU know for a FACT that Vick isn't doing BOTH??

I don't know that he's not doing both.

If he is doing both, he's not being as effective as he could be if his intent was to REALLY do something meaningful.

Again, great ... $10k (at a minimum; more if there are behind the scenes giving) ... wonderful ... kudos for covering the flowers on the caskets for 32 funerals. Great if it gets the US public off their butts.

Lets walk through a hypothetical here ... giving Vick the benefit of the doubt ... say, he's giving $10k publicly and $90k privately.

The $10k he gives is being matched by $1,000 or so from us huddlers ... a $1 for every $0.10 match ... plus the $90k he's giving privately for a total of $101,000. Not very effective use of his influence.

Say on the other hand, he was public with the entire $100k and he first went to the other VaTech guys in the NFL and tells them that he'll match their gifts to a "NFLers for VaTech" fund dollar for dollar up to $100k ... so, all other NFLers collectively put $100k in the pot and Vick puts $100k in the pot ... then, ALL of these VaTech alumns hold a press conference and announce they have put together a $200k pot that will match dollar for dollar the first $200,000 that comes in to defray costs of the families, etc.

That's $400,000 raised for the cause ... a big improvement over the $101,000 that's raised above. And that $400k would have (pretty much) covered funerals and most travel expenses for immediate family members.

And, if he is only doing the $10k (which again is great ... wonderful ... etc), he could have leveraged that a bit more than he did. This gift shows nothing more than Mike Vick is not a very effective philanthropist. This is a step towards getting better at it, but he isn't there yet.

PS - I'm by no means an expert on raising money for charities, but I did chair the Development Committee for my daughters school for a while, and have at least a little working knowledge of effective development projects.

Edited by muck

PS - I'm by no means an expert on raising money for charities, but I did chair the Development Committee for my daughters school for a while, and have at least a little working knowledge of effective development projects.

Maybe not, but you do have experience in raising charitable funds...something that is valuable within the Huddle community.

Like I said, he should have just done it privately. I am sure other donaters are not going public with their kind donations.

But I will say that if I was a multi-millionaire, and the alma mater that provided me a free education to persue my football dreams suffered the greatest tragedy in US history, I'd be a little more generous with my donation.

I agree. It's nice that he did this, but he could have stood to donate a bit more...

Maybe not, but you do have experience in raising charitable funds...something that is valuable within the Huddle community.

So quit jumping down my throat as if I'm some sort of narrow-minded arse!

So quit jumping down my throat as if I'm some sort of narrow-minded arse!

I definitely didn't think you were narrow-minded...my apologies if that was the message you took. :D Opinions I respect...all of them. Even if I don't necessarily agree with them.

My whole issue was really in defense of someone who did a nice thing and didn't deserve the ridicule he was getting on this board.

Trust me, I am no Vick apologist (AHEM!...broncosn05)...I think he is overrated as a player and has done some dumb things as a person. When he does something good, however, he should not be ripped for it.

Ripping him?

Naw.

Explaining to the world how, if his motivation was to really have an impact, then he could have structured things so much differently.

However, if his motivation was to "make a gesture", then great. He did that and it is helping.

Let me try another analogy.

Mike Vick's $10k gift is helping.

Mike Vick's missed opportunity would have been help.

Helping and help are not the same, but both are good. :D