[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I saw somebody die tonight . . .

CaptainHook

I appreciate the advice. Yeah, it's been a crappy weekend for me since this happened. I tried to stay busy. I cut down a hugh maple in my backyard the next day, and have been working on cutting that up. I went and played in a poker tourney Saturday night. Did some more yard work and played in my volleyball league today. Just trying to keep my mind off it. It's hard though, especially with all the people in the community slowly driving by the accident site the last 48 hours. Here's a link to the kids obituary if anyone wants to see. I didn't know any of them, but I think I'll probably go to the funeral. Just kinda feel like I should. . .

After your involvement in this tragedy, going to the funeral is a very good idea. You will honor the family of the deceased and start bringing closure to all the feelings that you are having right now.

Try not to dwell on the negative too much. You couldn't have done anything to prevent it, but you did get 911 going as soon as possible and where there to see what could be done as soon as you could.

I don't think I would have mentioned the gurgle to the parents either, I'm sure they are in enough pain right now. Hang in there.

You're gonna live with this for a good bit CH. Keeping in mind that you did everything you possibly could should keep you on an even keel though. It's a fact of life that stuff is gonna happen and that sometimes we are around when it does. All we can do is our best.... and that is what you did.... and are doing. The talks with everyone has got to suck though. Big time. Sounds like you are a very strong person though as you kept the dead kids parents feelings in mind when recounting what you could to them.

Keep in mind that if, and when, you feel the need to blow off steam about this.. Huddlers are here for ya. I have found that to be a true fact over the years. A great group that will try their best to help you through rough times and bad situations.

This is so true. It is amazing what this group of people can do for one another in times of need. I never would have imagined it possible years ago, but, when my Dad died, this placed helped bring me comfort, as I know it has for others in tough situations.

Hook, I admire you for the way you handled this entire situation. God bless.

Sorry to hear it Hook, but sounds like you're getting and accepting (the tough part) some good advice. Cops, firemen and ER folks have to deal with this all time, and I honestly don't know how.

I've never been a witness to it at the moment it happened, but I know the pain of losing loved ones in a car accident. Horrible for all involved.

Hopefully it won't happen again to you like this.....

I read the initial post in this thread and honestly started to get sick to my stomach a bit so I haven't read any responses or updates. Given my history, that's probably for the best. Sorry you had to witness this, Hook. God bless the family and friends of those kids.

My wife and I took the two kids and went to the viewing tonight. You would not believe how many people were there! We stood in line for over two and a half hours. So many crying high school kids . . . was very sad. I'm sure the funeral tomorrow isn't going to be any better.

• 3 months later...

We visited Cory in the hospital tonight. He is still there. Over 100 days. He has lost 90 pounds. His medical bill is at $1.3 million.

But he is doing very well. He actually took a step yesterday. He still has some more surgeries in his future. He has 5 titanium plates and 20 screws in his face alone. But he is alert, and doing well. Just amazing he is alive really.

We visited Cory in the hospital tonight. He is still there. Over 100 days. He has lost 90 pounds. His medical bill is at $1.3 million.

But he is doing very well. He actually took a step yesterday. He still has some more surgeries in his future. He has 5 titanium plates and 20 screws in his face alone. But he is alert, and doing well. Just amazing he is alive really.

Lordy lordy ... that's some pretty surreal stuff!

Absolutely amazing!! Thanks for the follow-up.

Thanks for the update CH. Obviously this whole accident will be with you for the rest of your life. But everytime you share it with someone, especially within earshot of young drivers, perhaps they will see/hear the tone in your voice and the look on your face and maybe, just maybe, you can help another accident from happening.

As a teacher I have gone to so many kids funerals I don't care to recount. Stupid things. Falling out of a pickup truck. Leaning over to pick up a dropped CD while driving, etc. But the #1 killer is always "..too fast...". Hang in there.

This sucks…so sad. I had a 70 GTO when I was 16 and had so many near misses I really can’t believe I survived it. If any Huddelers out there have teens, it’s prolly a good idea to talk about stuff like this with them; the main point being who they choose to get in a car with and whether or not they always wear a seatbelt. You are truly strong for being so supportive to total strangers in their time of grief… this has to be very hard.

I've witnessed 2 deaths. My uncle many years ago and just recently my neighbor's MIL. The "gurgle" is hard to forget and I understand your mind set.

What Sky said times 2.

Wow. Just read the entire thread from start to finish. I sincerely hope I never have to experience/witness anything like that, but if I do, I hope I react as swiftly as you did, CH.

In my new career field (public affairs), I get lots of weekend calls about young Airmen getting injured or killed somewhere off base. On Saturday, we lost an Airman and a civilian employee to a flash flood in a popular local hiking spot. The Airman left behind a wife and 4-year-old daughter, and I've heard the civilian girl's father is in pretty rough shape after the news.

I don't mean to add to the somber mood here, but with my first child joining the world next month, I'm very much reminded of the preciousness of life.