[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A serious topic that I'd like some comments on.

rocknrobn26

First I'd like to say that I love my Godson like my own son, if I had one. He had some issues (legal) in his late teens and early 20's . I helped him thru those as he has no Dad (the dad died in a car accident 12+ years ago). He respects me as a surrogate Dad. We are very close!

Mrs. RR helped to get him a teaching job at her school and even though the Dist. had issues w/ his past problems they hired him. For the better part of 2 years he got excellent ratings and was the principal's favorite (pet). The parents and students also love him. He IS A GOOD TEACHER and is perfect for these kids! He teaches English and reading in the 7th & 8th grades along w/ LD and BD students who are mainstreamed. The school also is 65% minority w/ most on some kind of Government subsidy, i.e. low income.

Now to the problem:

He and his MENTOR (30+ year teacher) have an exploratory reading assignment. Not only did his mentor approve the assignment, but it's part of HER curriculum! The book has to be current and has to deal w/ social issues in today's world. The students (8th grade) pick a book to read and give a report on it. 3 Students picked a book that HE read in college and he knew it was somewhat controversial. (language (oily baginas and such), sex, rape; it's about a NY gang kid who actually wrote it) He realized it could cause problems, so for the three student who picked it he sent home a consent form and made sure the parents complied w/ their child's choice of reading. All the consent forms came back approved. A drama teacher at their school got a hold of the book, didn't like the content (which actually is about a page) and reported it to the principal! (NARC!!!!! :D I feel he should have gone to the teachers first , but I digress) The principal immediately put both him and his mentor on probation and wrote letters to the board for his firing! At the hearing this principal had nothing but great things to say about him, but also said she wants him fired!

There is more info here, but that is the gist of it.

Should he be fired?

Isn't the music they listen to worse?

All comments welcome. But please read EVERYTHING I wrote.

The case will probably be resolved tomorrow and it doesn't look good.

TIA

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get on what grounds he could be fired.

What do the three sets of parents have to say?

Nothing at all!!!! It was the other teacher that brought it to the principal's attention and the principal! BTW....this book was read at the same school last year by different teachers/students, and no one was the wiser! :D:D

I smell a lawsuit.

Just have him hint at a lawsuit and I bet they run from this.

EDIT: Wow. I did not see wiegie's post before I posted this. We are as one, thinking with one brain. Well... most of a brain.

Edited by AtomicCEO

I smell wrongful dismissal lawsuit.

I smell a lawsuit.

I don't think so. No tenure. But I'm trying to find grounds for whatever he might be able to pursue!

our board lawyers can prob offer some insight about whether he has a case....or if the school has grounds to fire.

sounds unjustified to me: seems like your godson went through a reasonable protocal for the students to be able to use that book (seems like there should not have been any surprises to anyone and).... and the book has been used in the past... why the current persecution...is his last name bonds?

I smell a lawsuit.

EDIT: Wow. I did not see wiegie's post before I posted this. We are as one, thinking with one brain. Well... most of a brain.

When I clicked "add reply" both of our messages popped up in the thread--my side of the brain must have beaten your side by a millisecond.

Even if he doesn't have tenure, they can't just fire him without cause, can they? It was good that he got approval from the parents first..but I guess he should have also run it by the principal. What this comes down to is that you should never, ever, make your boss look stupid. They abhor being blindsided by anything and having to answer for stuff like this.

RR,

I don't have any real advice to add but it does sound like your Godson is getting the raw deal here. It is a shame that the principal is supporting the dismissal of someone that seems to be a damn good teacher. I think he made a good decision to send consent forms to the students wishing to discuss the book in question. The fact that the same book was discussed in the past at this school (without it being an issue) makes it seem like he is being treated unfairly.

Best of luck to your Godson.

Edit to scratch the last sentence. It was the assignment that was part of the mentor's curriculum not the book in question.

Edited by max

RR I hope for the best. I think the fact that he got the permission slips shows he didnt want to shelter his students from controversial materials that they may learn from yet was responsible enough to make sure the students parents are on the same page. Devils advocate says that unfortunately the principal may say if you knew the material was risky enough to make you get permission slips signed by the parents then maybe you shouldve known it was something that should have been run by the principal. I personally dont agree with the last sentence I wrote but feel it is something you should mention to your Godson so he is prepared if the principal says that.

Edited by whomper

what does the union say?

That's the best advice I can give. Work with the union. Work with the union lawyer. That's why we pay dues. If it had been an accepted part of the curric in other classes, it's reasonable to believe that it can be used in his class.

I don't teach at that level or in that type of classroom, so I'm not sure what is acceptable and what isn't. It also varies from district to district. It sounds like a bad situation. School boards generally listen to the admin. He should sit down with his principal and talk things out if he still can.

QUOTE(wiegie @ 5/6/07 9:55pm)

what does the union say?

That's the best advice I can give. Work with the union. Work with the union lawyer. That's why we pay dues. If it had been an accepted part of the curric in other classes, it's reasonable to believe that it can be used in his class.

Also, check and see if the district has in place a list of books not acceptable. The district where I live has books the "community" deems objectable and is not to be taught if parents object. the students are allowed to pick another book of study. The book that put your godson into hot water if it's the book I'm thinking of... our district doesn't allow for it to be taught below high school level.

Edited by boat_hacked

Also, check and see if the district has in place a list of books not acceptable. The district where I live has books the "community" deems objectable and is not to be taught if parents object. the students are allowed to pick another book of study. The book that put your godson into hot water if it's the book I'm thinking of... our district doesn't allow for it to be taught below high school level.

Good advice here.

RR, I think the principal is really overreacting here big time. Your Godson took the initiative to get permission from the parents. If for whatever reason the book is banned at the district, it looks like a careless, albeit honest mistake here. He shouldn't lose his job for this. Good luck to him.

By the way, are other teachers and parents beyatching about this?

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Even if he doesn't have tenure, they can't just fire him without cause, can they?

Probably not, but they can just deny him tenure in a couple of years when he's up for it. It's a shame, as tenure at many of these schools is almost a slam-dunk.

Even if he doesn't have tenure, they can't just fire him without cause, can they?

It's been awhile since my HR class at wonderful Grand Valley State. From what I recall, non-tenured teachers can be fired for a good reason or a bad reason. They just can't be fired for an illegal reason such as based on discrimination.

I'm not a teacher, but I think this is completely screwed up. I really think that, in this case, the parents should be the only ones who should bring up such an issue and they all signed off.

It is a book afterall. It is not as if the children are engaging in any activity that endangers them or others that would supercede parental consent. It's a freaking book and one that, as RR mentions, is no more racy than plenty on TV or music right now.

You can sue for a lot less these days and I would have to think that there would be no shortage of lawyers who'd be happy to take this thing a long way, dragging the school district through a very unflattering amount of press.

If I'm reading your post correctly, it would seem that books on the list can't be taught if the parents object. Which, it would appear, RRs son took care of when he got them to sign off. Once again, no problem.

From what I recall, non-tenured teachers can be fired for a good reason or a bad reason. They just can't be fired for an illegal reason such as based on discrimination.

yup , it is a common practice in some school districts to hire newbies, let them work up until there review then let them go.... then start over again with a new newbie... saves them money . when i graduated there was a list of schools that did this and we were advised as such ...

This is a clear cut case of a spineless Principal looking to CYA. I'm sure the Narc drama teacher threatened to go to the press and use the Principal's name, etc. unless "something was done" about it.

While I really hope that your Godson does not end up getting fired, I would seriously advise him to look for another place to work regardless. I sure wouldn't want to continue working with people like that.