[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What book are you currently reading?

Chargerz

Picked this up at the library about a year ago. Not bad, but nothing spectacular either.

Just finished rereading the Ender Trilogy by Orson Scott Card and am currently going thru the Ender's Shadow series.

I'll probably jump back into the Harry Potter series after that. Should be able to finish it up in time for the new one.

I barely made it through Speaker for the Dead. The first book was pretty cool, but I thought it went downhill pretty quickly from there.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has a new book out about professional golf. The title has Q School in it. Heard him talking about it on the radio the other day.

I was actually looking at that book the other day and will probably add it to my list of books to read at some point... It's called:

Tales from Q School: Inside Golf's Fifth Major

by John Feinstein

Edit: although after reading some of the book reviews on amazon I may have to think twice now about picking this one up. Not getting very high reviews.

Edited by myhousekey

I just started "It Cant Happen Here" by Sinclair Lewis. From the back of the book:

A cautionary tale about the fragility of Democracy, it is an alarmingly, eerily timeless look at how fascism could take hold in America. Written durring the Great Depression, when the country was largely oblivious to Hitlers aggression, it juxtaposes sharp political satire with thee chillingly realistic rise of a president who becomes a dictator to save the nation from welfare cheats, sex, crime, and a liberal press. Called "a message to America" by the Springfield Republican when it was published in 1935.

Modern day Nostradamus it seems. :D

Edited by DemonKnight

Just finished rereading the Ender Trilogy by Orson Scott Card and am currently going thru the Ender's Shadow series.

I barely made it through Speaker for the Dead. The first book was pretty cool, but I thought it went downhill pretty quickly from there.

Ender's Game is probably a top 5 sci-fi/fantasy book for me, but the last 3 books were not great. Speaker and Xenocide as a set up to Children of the Mind, which was good, were just too freaking long. I think I only read them because I read Ender's Shadow series in between and really enjoyed it.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

Read All You Can Do is All You Can Do by Art Williams yesterday - motivational guru stuff; doesn't tell you anything any one of 500 other books wouldn't.

Read Devil in the White City today; fascinating book. I had no idea about some of the stuff in there. Looks like an architectural tour of downtown Chicago just got onto my to-do list.

Will be starting The Swarm by Frank Schatzing tonight or tomorrow.

Read All You Can Do is All You Can Do by Art Williams yesterday - motivational guru stuff; doesn't tell you anything any one of 500 other books wouldn't.

Read Devil in the White City today; fascinating book. I had no idea about some of the stuff in there. Looks like an architectural tour of downtown Chicago just got onto my to-do list.

Will be starting The Swarm by Frank Schatzing tonight or tomorrow.

What are you? Some kind of robotic speed reader? :D

• 2 weeks later...

What are you? Some kind of robotic speed reader? :D

Actually, I got ahead of myself - The Swarm is terrific but is nigh 900 pages, and I held off on it until I went up north last weekend. Making some headway on it now - it might be a bit to, um, "tree-huggerish" for some of you, but it's a terrific piece of writing nonetheless.

Though between my post and starting The Swarm I did crack open Kim Stanley Robinson's The Years of Rice and Salt for a few hundred pages to fill the gap.

The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nassim Taleb

...if you haven't read Taleb's first book, get it...Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and the Markets...it's a great book and should probably be read first to give you a context for some of his thinking; The Black Swan is more dense than FbR. Make sure you get the second edition of FbR...

...mine is making me :D a little. Taking the grey matter out for a little exercise from time to time can be a good thing. :D

I think Paolini wrote a decent Eragon, but Eldest was much better IMO. And yes, the movie was gawd-awful.

I just started Eldest.

I haven't read Eragon but it was the movie that made me give Eldest a try. I didn't think the movie was bad but after reading the synopsis of Eragon in Eldest I can see why it wasn't looked highly upon. Seems to me they changed quite a bit in the movie to move along the plot.

I just started Eldest.

I haven't read Eragon but it was the movie that made me give Eldest a try. I didn't think the movie was bad but after reading the synopsis of Eragon in Eldest I can see why it wasn't looked highly upon. Seems to me they changed quite a bit in the movie to move along the plot.

both are ok and the movie was freaken bad

I just started Eldest.

Words can't describe how bad the movie was.

Just finished Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop. It is the first installment of a dark fantasy trilogy. I absolutely loved it, and will be going out either today or tomorrow to buy the other two books in the series. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys fantasy. It is different than most fantasy books, as there really aren't many good guys so to speak, some are just less bad than others.