[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Soccer strategy

Ramhock

I am an assistant coach for a U12 team. I know basketball, not soccer.

In an 8-on-8 environment, we currently use a 3-1-3 lineup. 12 of our 15 players are 10 years-old, as we dominated the U10 to the point that we moved the entire team to U12. We are struggling, but I do not concern myself with Ws & Ls, and neither do the players or their parents. We are ALL enjoying the experience. I just wanted to know if the 3-1-3 is giving us our best chance. We do seem to have fewer scoring opportunities than our opponents. The HC is a former soccer player, and I just would like some opinions to see if I should be suggesting that we change to a 3-3-1, 3-2-2, 4-2-1 or some other lineup. Thank you in advance.

As a former VERY competitive soccer player, I believe games are won and lost in the midfield. There ya go.

I've never coached, but if I did, I would go 2-3-3, with your center midfield having the speed and endurance to not only cover midfielder duties, but attack as well.

Edited by darin3

As a former VERY competitive soccer player, I believe games are won and lost in the midfield. There ya go.

I've never coached, but if I did, I would go 2-3-3, with your center midfield having the speed and endurance to not only cover midfielder duties, but attack as well.

So, if you were coaching you would use a 2-3-2?

Never played 8 on 8 before and its been many years since I played. It seems to me with the 3-1-3 you are giving up the mid field. This is what you need to control. Maybe go with a 3-3-2. You would be giving up some on defense but if you have good mid fielders you can teach them how important it is to get back on the D. I played mostly in a 4-3-3-1 setting. I was mostly a defenseman but would attack the goal often. This was done to catch the opponets off guard. The mid fielders would know that if I attacked that one of them would drop back. Never scored a goal but got some nice assists and even some nice shots.

Footballjoe, formerly know as soccerjoe

8 man would include the goalie, so you have 7 field players.

I would go 3-2-2.

Or even 3-3-1.

Gotta win the midfield. If you play the 3-3-1, your outside midfielders can run the outside on the wings when in attack mode. Put your 2 with the best stamina and crossing ability there. Put your best playmaker in the center midfield position. He is the conduit for EVERYTHING.

In an 8-on-8 environment, we currently use a 3-1-3 lineup. 12 of our 15 players are 10 years-old, as we dominated the U10 to the point that we moved the entire team to U12. We are struggling, but I do not concern myself with Ws & Ls, and neither do the players or their parents. We are ALL enjoying the experience. I just wanted to know if the 3-1-3 is giving us our best chance. We do seem to have fewer scoring opportunities than our opponents. The HC is a former soccer player, and I just would like some opinions to see if I should be suggesting that we change to a 3-3-1, 3-2-2, 4-2-1 or some other lineup. Thank you in advance.

First off, your team is likely younger than just about every team you are now facing, so it's good that there isn't a focus on winning/losing because you are going to be doing some losing until next season.

To be honest, the type of formation you run will have to do with the type of players you have on the team. I would definitely have three fullbacks (sweeper, right/left fullback).

Now, do you have one player that not only has speed and decent ball handling skills (insert ghey joke here), but also is aggressive? The type who sees a 50/50 ball on the field and "knows" that he's coming away with it? If you do, then the 3-1-3 can work for you. However, the child who is playing midfield is going to have to do a lot of running so you're going to need someone who can sub for him who is at least adequate in that position. In a 3-1-3, it is vital that the wings stay wide and come back for the ball. If they are playing a "kick and chase" game, then I don't care how good your midfielder is, your team is doomed. Your striker (middle forward), in a perfect world, knows how to put the ball in the net--and that is something a player has a knack for, or he does not. He also has to stay back with the opposing teams fullbacks so that the midfielder and the wings have have a target in the middle to put the ball through to.

It is much easier to teach young players to play a 3-1-3 than a formation with two forwards and two mid-fielders. This may be the best line-up if you find that your players are a bit intimidated by the older kids as this can help clog the middle and force the play to the outside. However, the kids will have a difficult time knowing where to be and this could easily open it up for the opposing to team to quickly change the field and have break away opportunities. [As an aside, I find it irritating that U-12 does not go to 9 players, including keeper, on the field. You place the players on a larger field without adding an addition player. It many ways, this can turn a game into "kick and chase." I f'n hate that.]

I'm not sure I completely answered your question.

Gotta win the midfield. If you play the 3-3-1, your outside midfielders can run the outside on the wings when in attack mode. Put your 2 with the best stamina and crossing ability there. Put your best playmaker in the center midfield position. He is the conduit for EVERYTHING.

In my description of the 3-1-3, it appears that CD and I have the same mentality. Whether it's midfielders who attack on the wing or wings who drop back to help, the center mid cannot be left alone or the middle of the field is lost.

In my description of the 3-1-3, it appears that CD and I have the same mentality. Whether it's midfielders who attack on the wing or wings who drop back to help, the center mid cannot be left alone or the middle of the field is lost.

Yep. But their role has to be more defensive minded, but then they key the counterattack by flying down the wings.

He is of foreign decent, and seems that he was a very good player but there is a communication gap.

Is he a good coach or more of a player who is trying to live life over through the kids on the team. Therefore maybe not doing what's best for the kids. Just thinking. :D

So I assume you believe your coach, a former soccer player, will be receptive to strategy questions from an assistant coach who admittedly doesn't know anything about soccer?

I don't know how it is in soccer but in every other sport the best players/players in general don't always make the best coaches and sometimes need an outsider's view to help them along. This guy may not know his ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to coaching and maybe that's why his team is doomed.

In an 8-on-8 environment, we currently use a 3-1-3 lineup. 12 of our 15 players are 10 years-old, as we dominated the U10 to the point that we moved the entire team to U12. We are struggling, but I do not concern myself with Ws & Ls, and neither do the players or their parents. We are ALL enjoying the experience.

Apparently, they did well last year and a focus on winning is not present. When a team stays together and moves up to the next age level, they are generally the youngest team in the division (unless a U-10 team moves to a U-11 division). It is expected that they will not do well, in terms of wins and losses. I think some may be jumping the gun in guessing that the coach is an ass.

And, if the head coach has made ram an asst coach, he should be open to suggestions. It doesn't mean he'll follow them, but he should be open to them and consider them.

The coach is a very nice guy. I feel he struggles with teaching, though. We have an excellent group of parents, as well. I have been assisting for 6 seasons (3 years). This season, we are on the bigger field, with more players, for the 1st time. He is very receptive to my suggestions. I just I want to go to him with informative opinions. It is a pleasure to have the opposite situation of the nightmarish stories you hear about other coaches and parents.

Edited by Ramhock

My team is a rec team, 8 girls and 6 boys. We are U10 and we play 8v8. We are currently 4-2.

I play 2 forwards, 3 midfielders, and 2 defenders. My midfielders are the core of my offense and also I can count on them to come back and help the defenders.

My defenders have to be able to stop a dribbler and slow the attack to give the midfielders some time to recover, and they are.

We won 2-1 yesterday against a team that was previously 4-1 on the season. My son (center mid) scored both goals.

I think the style you play really depends on the character of your team.

My team is a rec team, 8 girls and 6 boys. We are U10 and we play 8v8. We are currently 4-2.

I play 2 forwards, 3 midfielders, and 2 defenders. My midfielders are the core of my offense and also I can count on them to come back and help the defenders.

My defenders have to be able to stop a dribbler and slow the attack to give the midfielders some time to recover, and they are.

We won 2-1 yesterday against a team that was previously 4-1 on the season. My son (center mid) scored both goals.

I think the style you play really depends on the character of your team.

That's good coaching. :D

The coach is a very nice guy. I feel he struggles with teaching, though. We have an excellent group of parents, as well. I have been assisting for 6 seasons (3 years). This season, we are on the bigger field, with more players, for the 1st time. He is very receptive to my suggestions. I just I want to go to him with informative opinions. It is a pleasure to have the opposite situation of the nightmarish stories you hear about other coaches and parents.

There in lies the problem. Which goes back to what I said before. It's terrific that he's a nice guy but regardless of what the reasoning is, if you can't communicate to your players what you what/need them to do- You're sunk.

everyone about summed it up with the midfield...3-3-1 is what i would use...if you have to much up front your fullbacks are gonna be in for a long day.

why the short sides and small field at that age though? In Va they push soccer pretty hard at that age...i was on a competative traveling team playing a 4-4-2...grant it i was burnt out by my senior year of high school, maybe that had something to do with it lol

why the short sides and small field at that age though? In Va they push soccer pretty hard at that age...i was on a competative traveling team playing a 4-4-2...grant it i was burnt out by my senior year of high school, maybe that had something to do with it lol

The common thought is small sides = more touches per player.

In my league we are currently 8v8 from U9-U12 and 11v11 for U13 & U14. State board is pushing for 6v6 at the U9 & U10 ages. (And since they provide our insurance, they will get their way).

3-3-1 is the way to go. The two outside wingers need to be able to play up and back but that shouldn't be a problem when it comes to fitness since they are 10 years old. The other strategy you could try is 3-2-1-1 with one striker playing up high to keep their defenders back and the other one playing between the midfielders and striker as an outlet.