[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Taking care of your lawn

Tford

Looking for some Huddle help here.

My lawn was seeded three years ago (I bought my house 3 months ago). The lawn today is very patchy with alot of thick brown grass underneath the green grass that seems to be growing. I also have a multitude of dandelions growing in my yard despite a recent application of Josh Gordon N' Feed fertilizer. I am planning on getting some Kill-X spot herbicide to murder them weeds for good. Something of note is that my front lawn sees the majority of the sun during the day.

Summary:

1) Lawn is patchy and uneven.

2) Thick brown grass seems to be choking out the good green grass that I have.

3) Weed N' Feed failed to kill weeds and help my lawn.

My Plan:

1) Get Kill-X spot herbicide to kill weeds.

2) Power-rake dead grass in a week or two to allow for room for new sproutlings.

3) Re-seed lawn and water the hell out of it.

Please help huddlers, lawn care is not something that comes easy to me as I have a black thumb. Is there anything here that I should or shouldn't be doing? TIA

Fertilizer is the BEST thing you can do if you want a green lawn.

Nice input...being a homeowner and all. :D

Cheif Dick started this off right...where are you. Is there alot of shade? Is the ground wet alot?

Looking for some Huddle help here.

My lawn was seeded three years ago (I bought my house 3 months ago). The lawn today is very patchy with alot of thick brown grass underneath the green grass that seems to be growing. I also have a multitude of dandelions growing in my yard despite a recent application of Josh Gordon N' Feed fertilizer. I am planning on getting some Kill-X spot herbicide to murder them weeds for good. Something of note is that my front lawn sees the majority of the sun during the day.

Summary:

1) Lawn is patchy and uneven.

2) Thick brown grass seems to be choking out the good green grass that I have.

3) Weed N' Feed failed to kill weeds and help my lawn.

My Plan:

1) Get Kill-X spot herbicide to kill weeds.

2) Power-rake dead grass in a week or two to allow for room for new sproutlings.

3) Re-seed lawn and water the hell out of it.

Please help huddlers, lawn care is not something that comes easy to me as I have a black thumb. Is there anything here that I should or shouldn't be doing? TIA

seriously...

1) what kind of watering system do you have? do the brown patches correspond in any way to sprinkler coverage or sun coverage or anything like that? or are the patches smaller? if it's smaller there could be insects involved, and there's lots of insecticides you can spray down.

2) the powerrake and re-seed isn't a bad idea, just make sure you get down far enough to loosen up the top inch or so of dirt before dropping seed.

3) the Josh Gordon&feed stuff has to be applied right for it to work. you need to do it when the grass is wet, so that the little globules can stick to the leaves of the weeds. then you need to not water for a day or two (and hope it doesn't rain).

all in all, your plan of action sounds about right, but you might also want to consider hiring an "expert" in order to get things turned around most effectively.

Mowing grass and owning grass are two different things, Poindexter.

Not in my case I own and mow my grass and it still looks like gabidge. :D

If you got the cash, hire a lawn pro to come take a look.

What you are going to need to do is kill the weeds first. I recommend finding the local supplier to the lawn companies in your area. Ask one of the little guys where they buy their supplies. Here in Indy it's a company called Lesco or Advanced Turf Solutions. Most will sell directly to the homeowner. You can buy all the products the pros use. Ask for a broadleaf Josh Gordon killer. I use a product called 3-Way, which will kill dandelions, clover, plantain and most of your run of the mill lawn weeds. If you have ground ivy or wild violet you need to use Momentum f/x. I am speaking from the experience of Indiana lawns, so things may be a bit different in your area. Once you get the weeds killed, aerate. You can rent one. Then overseed. Depending on how much run-off your yard has, you may also need to rend a slice-seeder. If it were me, I'd broadcast seed over the all the bare spots and slice seed those areas. You can also purchase some starter fertilizer from the wholesaler. Your gonna need a sprayer and a spreader. Knowing what kind of grass you have would help. Bluegrass, rye, etc. . . but I'm guessing from your original post you have no idea. :D You also need to ask a local lawn guy what kind of seed he would recommend. I almost always use a 50/50 blend of rye and bluegrass.

Or you could hire one of the smaller companies int the area to come out and knock out your problem for ya. . . seriously, it'll save you a ton of time, it'll look better faster, and by the time you buy and rent all the stuff you'll need, you'll be about even.

Edited by CaptainHook

I put down 800 pounds of 10-10-10 fertilizer over my cow pasture last month. Now the stuff won't stop growing and thickening up and is super green. A Mexican told me 10-10-10 was a nice balance. It's worked like crazy. I have to cut the grass almost twice a week.

If I were, I'd at least power seed. And I've noticed the grass seed does make a difference. I started using Scott's Premium on this lawn and that stuff is fantastic. I also buy a few bags of Miracle Gro plant food and fill in the patches and rough spots when I throw down the seed. The grass seed really works well in that stuff.

Scots Lawn service

Word. My lawn looked like turd biscuits before I hired them. Not a single Josh Gordon this year. My neighbor has a new lawn that is covered in weeds. Our lawns look like a before and after picture.

On my customers, we do 5 apps a year.

1. (april) pre-emergent for crabgrass and a 19-0-6 fertilizer

2. (may) spray for weeds and a 24-0-11 fertilizer

3. (july) grub control and 24-5-11 fertilizer

4. (sept) spray for weeds and a 24-0-11 fertlizer

5. (oct/nov) 35-3-5 slow release fertilizer.

Any granular Josh Gordon'n'Feed sucks. Use the kind that attaches to your hose. You can aerate any time of year, but it's best in the fall. I know everyone is so excited about their yards in the spring, but if you can bottle that fervor, the VERY BEST time of year to seed is the fall.