[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Star Wars

myhousekey

So I happened to see that HBO HD is going to be showing a marathon of the Star Wars movies (all in HD) starting about 2pm today and running till about 4 am tomorrow morning.

It got me thinking.....if you have kids that didn't grow up with the films, would you tell them to watch the movies in the order that they were released (4-6, 1-3) or in episode order (1-6)?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I happened to see that HBO HD is going to be showing a marathon of the Star Wars movies (all in HD) starting about 2pm today and running till about 4 am tomorrow morning.

It got me thinking.....if you have kids that didn't grow up with the films, would you tell them to watch the movies in the order that they were released (4-6, 1-3) or in episode order (1-6)?

Sigh. I don't know... I'm on the fence. I could see myself suggesting you watch them in order of release.... so you get the main story (Luke/Leia, etc.) and then finish with "how it came to be". Sort of cool that way I guess. But it certainly makes sense to watch in episode order... save the best for last (or second to last... big fan of Empire Strikes Back).

:D

My kids love them all so I don't think it matters but I would suggest in chronological order. My kid says episode 3 when he's talking about Sith where I still mess up and say 3 is Jedi.

I still haven't sat down and watched them in chronological, mainly because I'm still bitter about wasting 2 1/2 hours of my life once already during episode 2. I tell myself I should do that at some point though.

I really wish there was an episode 7 8 and 9 however. The storyline with the twins and the dark jedi is intriguing enough.

Watch Episode IV - VI, then sit them down to this.

Edit: And the theatrical release...not the stupid version Lucas stole my childhood with by making Han not fire first. :mad:

Edited by TimC

M father-in-law [62] has never seen any of the movies at all. He asked me about them last weekend during the 30th year of star wars. I told him that at this point he is prolly 1 of 10 people that have never seen it and that he shouldn't ever watch them now.

But if he presses the issue I will make him watch them in release order [4,5,6,1,2,3]

PS - I still slick one out to Carrie fisher of 1977 and 1980 all the time. She was freaking hot as hell back then. But you can tell in Return of the Jedi the drugs and smoking were catching up to her [face] as she looked well order than 26

EDIT - I think 1,2,3 are by far the better movies and I grew up during the golden age of 4,5,6. I stand by that. The acting was way better, story way more involved and Yoda whoops arse.

Edited by cliaz

EDIT - I think 1,2,3 are by far the better movies and I grew up during the golden age of 4,5,6. I stand by that. The acting was way better, story way more involved and Yoda whoops arse.

You are delusional.

The only thing that saves 1 is the special effects are probably the best of any of the 6.

2 was a giant mess on all levels. No way getting around that.

3 was rather epic and entertaining.

4 and 5 are among the greatest films ever made.

6 is necessary, but ultimately falls slightly flat compared with it's predecessors.

You are delusional.

The only thing that saves 1 is the special effects are probably the best of any of the 6.

2 was a giant mess on all levels. No way getting around that.

3 was rather epic and entertaining.

4 and 5 are among the greatest films ever made.

6 is necessary, but ultimately falls slightly flat compared with it's predecessors.

The acting in Star wars is horrible at best. I'm not saying it wasn't a land mark film of its time.

Empire Strikes Back is okay if you remove all of lukes scenes until he fights Vader. It is basically a story about Solo flying around some rocks for an hour. Plus the huge mistake in time. They show Han and Leah running from the empire for all of a day yet Luke is with Yoda training to be a jedi for a while. Doesn't make sense

Return of the Jedi is terrible

Phantom Menance [minus Jar Jar] was a great story and set up for the war

Attack of the clones [minus the title itself] is a great freaking movie and anikan is played perfectly as a spoiled cry baby.

Revenge of the Sith is the best Star Wars movie and is hand over fist better than Empire

You're kidding, right? :doh::D:D:tup::D:D

Nope.

People cling to the old movies because they grew up with them [see Goonies, E.T, Temple of doom, ect.] if you clear your head from your childhood love of the movies you see the new ones are clearly the better written/story/acted movies.

Edited by cliaz

Attack of the clones [minus the title itself] is a great freaking movie and anikan is played perfectly as a spoiled cry baby.

Revenge of the Sith is the best Star Wars movie and is hand over fist better than Empire

Nope.

:D

Just sat down and watched all 3 of them yesterday.

Everyone whines about the casting/acting but all the characters are perfect for the story of Star Wars. Hayden Christensen is the perfect Anakin (Not to mention he looks just like Mark Hamill in Revenge) , and no one else could be Padme except for Natalie Portman. That's all there is to it. You also can't leave out how awesome Ewan McGreggor is at Obi-Wan.

Great movies.

I would have my kids watch 1-6 in that order, that's how it was meant to be.

I still haven't sat down and watched them in chronological, mainly because I'm still bitter about wasting 2 1/2 hours of my life once already during episode 2. I tell myself I should do that at some point though.

I really wish there was an episode 7 8 and 9 however. The storyline with the twins and the dark jedi is intriguing enough.

seems to me like they ought to do some sort of badass TV show. on cable. they could pursue those storylines, and flush out all the little nuances of the star wars universe that have thus far only been explored in some of the video games and such. it's the kind of thing that could make star wars cool again, once and for all.

as far as the question....watch them in release order, 4-6, 1-3.

Agree that that storyline is very intriguing.

Up until about 4 years ago, I had read just about all of the authorized books that came out. Very interesting.

The acting in Star wars is horrible at best. I'm not saying it wasn't a land mark film of its time.

Empire Strikes Back is okay if you remove all of lukes scenes until he fights Vader. It is basically a story about Solo flying around some rocks for an hour. Plus the huge mistake in time. They show Han and Leah running from the empire for all of a day yet Luke is with Yoda training to be a jedi for a while. Doesn't make sense

Return of the Jedi is terrible

on some level, i almost want to agree with you, because i kinda see your point. but not quite. the originals were awesome, they created a whole universe from nothing, groundbreaking in a lot of ways. the second trilogy was just sort of filling in the story and using swanky special effects. i would rank them this way as far as quality...

5: empire strikes back

4: star wars (new hope or whatever they call it now)

3: revenge of the sith

2: attack of the clones

6: return of the jedi

1: phantom menace

It seems a little pointless when people say things like "The new ones suck", or "The old ones suck" without giving any reasons for their stance. Why do you feel that way? Justify your non-criticism.

That having been said:

EWOKS SUCK and JAR JAR SUCKS.

Episode III is a masterwork.

I think I'm going to go in the order they were released. Mainly because of Empire Strikes Back and the whole "I'm your father" speech. I think it has more impact if you don't know the past history.

exactly. the release order is how the story unfolded and was meant to unfold, even if the later movies went further back in time.