[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Air Travel with small children

Hugh 0ne

They don't allow it, or the airline didn't force you to buy it?

My son is 18 months, and we've bought him his own seat for 2 flights. He sits in a carseat and can sleep in it. The only time we didn't buy him his own seat was when he was like 6 months and could easily fit in our laps.

I can't imagine having a 2 year old on your lap for 3 hours. That must be incredibly inconvenient for the people around you. Unless you are poor... buy a seat for your 1+ year old. If you don't order it on line, many airlines will give it to your for half price.

If a child is under 2, most airlines do not REQUIRE you to purchase a separate seat, but you certainly can, as you have done, and as I believe you must do if you are going to have the child in a car seat as you did. Once they are 2 or older, you MUST purchase them a separate seat, at least with most airlines.

Breast feed the 4-month old during take off and landing (which means mom and baby should probably have the window seat). Bring books and activities for the 2-1/2 YO to keep him occupied. In fact, don't bother bringing any books or mags for yourself, as you'll should probably spend the entire trip interacting with your kids to help keep them from melting down. As long as people see that you're busting your ass trying to keep them calm, no one will give you a hard time. It's the parents that are yelling at or neglecting their kids that everyone wants to kick in the nuts.

A 2 hour flight is a cake walk. You should be fine, expecially if its a direct flight. IIRC, children under 2 can fly in your lap. Children over two must have their own seat. I suggest bringing a car seat on the plane for the 2-1/2 YO, which can double as an involuntary restraint system if the little bastard starts to get out of line, especially if you'll be doing any driving in your destination city.

Edited by yo mama

If a child is under 2, most airlines do not REQUIRE you to purchase a separate seat, but you certainly can, as you have done, and as I believe you must do if you are going to have the child in a car seat as you did. Once they are 2 or older, you MUST purchase them a separate seat, at least with most airlines.

The 2 1/2 year old will be in his own seat, in a car seat. He's not fidgety or high strung, and can generally entertain himself for extended periods of time. I'm hoping that will be the case in the plane.

Thanks for all the information, it's much appreciated. Will load up on toys, and will inject them both with industry grade valium and hope for the best.

I've only flown on one trip with a baby, my eldest when he was about 9 months. The pacifier/bottle* would be the top of my list. Traveling at a time when it's their natural nap would be my second tip. The third would be to get the least number of connecting flights as possible.

If at all possible, try to book flights that are not usually at their maximum capacity. On our trip, the flight out we ended up with a seat in between me and my wife that he could sleep. On the way back, we weren't as fortunate. However putting our two tables down gave him a decent sized place to sleep for most of the flight and allowed us not to have to be holding him or have him sitting/laying directly on our laps.

*- check TSA/airline regulations on what you can get away with regarding liquids.

dani did a lot of flying early and was pretty good (only exception was thanksgiving- ear problems and she was tough the whole flight). what i have read is that they get tougher when they are a little older (takes more to entertain them. we just did 9 hours on sunday and found out 2 days before she had ear infections in each ear.... got an rx for ear drops and she was great. we feed or give her her pacifier at take off and landing.

avoid the benydril... i have read that it actually amps them up

Really? Not denying you, but where did you hear that? I think it depends on the child. We flew to Hawaii & on the trip from LAX to HI my oldest had Benadryl & slept through the majority of the flight. :D

Really? Not denying you, but where did you hear that? I think it depends on the child. We flew to Hawaii & on the trip from LAX to HI my oldest had Benadryl & slept through the majority of the flight. :D

like most medications, i think it depends on the child.....

i am pretty sure that the box itself says may cause excitibility (don't have one in front of me).

i am pretty sure that the box itself says may cause excitibility (don't have one in front of me).

excitability may occur, especially in Children....looking at the bottle as I type this

Marked drowsiness may occur....avoid alcohol (so the Whiskey is out if you use it)

Benedryl can have a reverse type effect in some children. Instead of slowing them down, it speeds them up. I don't know the exact chemical reason why, but I have witnessed it.

I'd strongly discourage the double dose tylenol advice. Tylenol is something you never want to overexpose your children to. Tylenol overdose is one of the most common types of household overdoses, and it can cause irreversable liver damage, failure, and death.

I know this sounds like I'm preaching, but you'd be amazed at how many people improperly dose their children. It's very common and very frightening. That's why the back of the bottle says to contact your physician for children under 2 usually.

Take the safe route and bring things that comfort your kids. Their favorite blanket, movie, toy, or snack.

excitability may occur, especially in Children....looking at the bottle as I type this

Marked drowsiness may occur....avoid alcohol (so the Whiskey is out if you use it)

Benedryl can have a reverse type effect in some children. Instead of slowing them down, it speeds them up. I don't know the exact chemical reason why, but I have witnessed it.

I'd strongly discourage the double dose tylenol advice. Tylenol is something you never want to overexpose your children to. Tylenol overdose is one of the most common types of household overdoses, and it can cause irreversable liver damage, failure, and death.

I know this sounds like I'm preaching, but you'd be amazed at how many people improperly dose their children. It's very common and very frightening. That's why the back of the bottle says to contact your physician for children under 2 usually.

Take the safe route and bring things that comfort your kids. Their favorite blanket, movie, toy, or snack.

rajn, i read something on case studies.. don't have the article.

Six hour flight from Iceland to Philadelphia with my daughter (2 yrs old) and I wanted to off myself.

All the advice given is good, especially about maybe bringing a new toy that they haven't seen. Whatever happens, just know that you'll all get through it. Don't worry about the other passengers, because chances are they've been where you are already.

Call it a right of parental passage.

Also...........

:D:D:tup::doh: Good luck!!

They don't allow it, or the airline didn't force you to buy it?

My son is 18 months, and we've bought him his own seat for 2 flights. He sits in a carseat and can sleep in it. The only time we didn't buy him his own seat was when he was like 6 months and could easily fit in our laps.

I can't imagine having a 2 year old on your lap for 3 hours. That must be incredibly inconvenient for the people around you. Unless you are poor... buy a seat for your 1+ year old. If you don't order it on line, many airlines will give it to your for half price.

BC answered for me and I didn't buy a seat because I didn't have to and was being cheap. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be but not something I'd suggest. It wasn't so much hard for the people aroound me as they were all family members and we had the row to oursleves my wife, my son and me.

Couple suggestions (we have four kids ages 7, 5, 3, 1, so we have been thru it all):

1. Window seat: made sure the toddle has a good view; this can keep them occupied for 10-20 minutes at a time (especially during take-off/landing), as long as you are talking with them/pointing things out.

2. Lollipops, which can last 15-30 minutes and can definitely help during landing/take-off to help with the change in pressure...2-3 of these, and the time you are cruising will be almost over.

3. Car seat: while you did not purchase a ticket for your 2-year old, bring a car seat anyway. Most normal travellers opt for the front of the plane. If there is an unsold seat, it will most likely be near the back where you are sitting. If its empty, use it! If not, gate-check the car seat. You have nothing to lose, and a ton to gain. You can actually call the airline (or go online) the night before your flight and check the status of empty seats to determine whether one might be avaialable.

4. Ask if your kid can meet the pilot after the plane has landed. Since you are at the back, and de-planeing last, you may be able to get a chance to have your child say hello to the pilot without holding everyone up. You can ask prior to take-off, and if the answer is "yes", use it as a bargaining chip to keep your kid quiet.

5. Books/Crayons/DVD: if you can keep them busy for a combined hour of take-off/landing/potty/snacks/etc., you should really only have about another 45-60 minutes to fill. a 30 minute episode of their favorite TV show, some coloring, reading a book, etc. should do the trick.

Don't stress...its not all that bad. And be sure to take advantage of the pre-boarding option...helps you get them settled, no rushing or waiting on the jetway, and ensures you get all your carry-on items on the plane first!!

nah, that would be child-abuse. You can, however, squeeze them into a carry-on suitcase and put them into the overhead luggage bin.

How about letting little Jr ride out on the wing?

Well, we did it. Absolutely no issues. They were both very well behaved, and we were even complemented numerous times by other passengers on their behavior.

Thanks to all for the responses and information, a lot of it was very useful. And we didn't drug them, we figured we'd see how they do without narcotics, and they were fine.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Well, we did it. Absolutely no issues. They were both very well behaved, and we were even complemented numerous times by other passengers on their behavior.

Thanks to all for the responses and information, a lot of it was very useful. And we didn't drug them, we figured we'd see how they do without narcotics, and they were fine.

How many drugs did you take leading up to this though? :D

Did you use a carseat for the 2.5 year old?

I'm flying with my wife and kids in 2 weeks to San Diego. My son will be 3 years old, and I'm still debating about bringing a carseat for him.

We bought 1 that turns into a stroller as well and used it for our 10 month old (at the time of travel) She can still use it today and we keep it as an extra for when my SIL watches her so we don't have to keep taking them in out of our cars all the time.

Did you use a carseat for the 2.5 year old?

I'm flying with my wife and kids in 2 weeks to San Diego. My son will be 3 years old, and I'm still debating about bringing a carseat for him.

We did on the way down, but not on the way back. The problem is that the car seat is pretty bulky. So, when it was installed, and he was strapped in, we almost couldn't put down the tray in front of him, and the TV was right in front of his face. On the way back, we tried it without it, and he was fine. We made it clear that he was NOT allowed to get up and around. He complied. For his first flight we were glad we had the carseat, because everything else was so new, the familiar car seat probably helped. On the way back, he was fine without it.