[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cat Question

alexgaddis

Didn't read the question, but there can be only one answer. Kill it.

This is the correct answer. If you die in your house, your cat will eat your remains. The only recourse is to shoot your cat preemptively.

Conveniently, this also solves the litterbox/tub problem.

My wife and I have two cats and every time I think I have them figured out, they do something like you are describing. They are cats. They do whatever they want, whenever they darn well please. As long as they seem healthy and aren't sh*tting where I eat and walk, I try to roll with the punches.

Codwagon gave some good info there. My male cat started doing the same exact thing, and it turned out to be kidney stone type dealies that were jamming him up. Turns out a lot of low-grade dry foods will cause that kind of build-up... uric acid, or something, like gout in your Veronica.

Cats by nature will search for testosterone..After coming up empty in your house the cat, in an effort to bring some manliness to the home, did not step out of the shower to take a piss

Cats by nature will search for testosterone..After coming up empty in your house the cat, in an effort to bring some manliness to the home, did not step out of the shower to take a piss

:D

Codwagon gave some good info there. My male cat started doing the same exact thing, and it turned out to be kidney stone type dealies that were jamming him up. Turns out a lot of low-grade dry foods will cause that kind of build-up... uric acid, or something, like gout in your Veronica.

More good info. I've been throught the urinary tract thing with two of my cats a few times. One of my cats almost died the last time. The blockage is usually(but not always) in male cats. Store bought brands of cat food have tremendously high levels of magnesium which can lead to blockage. Cats will do these things to try and tell you something's wrong. I'd take her to the vet just to be sure. I waited too long for one of mine and he had to have surgery which was very expensive. Most times it can be treated with proper diet and medication, but take her to the vet.

:D It all drains to the same place, right?

More good info. I've been throught the urinary tract thing with two of my cats a few times. One of my cats almost died the last time. The blockage is usually(but not always) in male cats. Store bought brands of cat food have tremendously high levels of magnesium which can lead to blockage. Cats will do these things to try and tell you something's wrong. I'd take her to the vet just to be sure. I waited too long for one of mine and he had to have surgery which was very expensive. Most times it can be treated with proper diet and medication, but take her to the vet.

Same here. I've got about $3k invested in him. My only return on investment is that I get up and down about 30 times a night to let him in and out of the house. I figure the exercise will add about 72 hours to my lifespan.

Wow - the answer to this is obvious and simple, yet no one has posted it yet.

The cat is pissing in the shower because it has a keen sense of smell and realizes that YOU have been pissing in the shower. It now assumes that pissing in there is acceptable. You can't undo it now, because even if you stop doing it, the cat already knows that you did it before.

If you are honest you will "man up" and admit that you're guilty of pissing in the shower. Either that, or you haven't been pissing in the shower, which means you're gay. That would also implicate Mrs. Alexgaddis as the bathtub urinator, which is strangely kind of hot.

The cat is pissing in the shower because it has a keen sense of smell and realizes that YOU have been pissing in the shower. It now assumes that pissing in there is acceptable.

A few months ago my cat took a piss in the bathroom sink. . . . after reading this post I gotta have a talk with the Sheikette.

That would also implicate Mrs. Alexgaddis as the bathtub urinator, which is strangely kind of hot.

Ours did it because of crystals in its urine. I'm too lazy to edit out "kitty" below to minimize gheyness.

Good info there. Lived with a cat with the same problem. Actually had to switch him to a low PHS diet and he's on a med which I can't remember the name of (Cosequin?) due to the intense amount of crystals in his urine. Diet is a major cause for problems in cats. The crap in some of the cheaper and easily obtained foods really create havoc on their insides.

I really do recommend have the cat checked out, cause the last thing you want is for this to become behavioral. Once they get use to pissing in a sink/tub, on the carpet, in a hamper whatever, its really hard to get them to stop. The owners of the above cat have now removed carpet from 3 rooms and replaced it with hard wood. They let it go to long, and I don't think hell ever stop if theres carpet or a hamper to be found.

Good info there. Lived with a cat with the same problem. Actually had to switch him to a low PHS diet and he's on a med which I can't remember the name of (Cosequin?) due to the intense amount of crystals in his urine. Diet is a major cause for problems in cats. The crap in some of the cheaper and easily obtained foods really create havoc on their insides.

I really do recommend have the cat checked out, cause the last thing you want is for this to become behavioral. Once they get use to pissing in a sink/tub, on the carpet, in a hamper whatever, its really hard to get them to stop. The owners of the above cat have now removed carpet from 3 rooms and replaced it with hard wood. They let it go to long, and I don't think hell ever stop if theres carpet or a hamper to be found.

Cosequin is the correct name - both my cats are on that.

The cat is pissing in the shower because it has a keen sense of smell and realizes that YOU have been pissing in the shower. It now assumes that pissing in there is acceptable. You can't undo it now, because even if you stop doing it, the cat already knows that you did it before.

If you are honest you will "man up" and admit that you're guilty of pissing in the shower. Either that, or you haven't been pissing in the shower, which means you're gay. That would also implicate Mrs. Alexgaddis as the bathtub urinator, which is strangely kind of hot.

Doesn't everyone pee in the shower? :D

Definitely have a vet check to make sure there's no UTI or anything like that. Any kind of behavior change like that should be checked out.

But if that turns out ok - Does she eat dry food? If so, put a small bowl of it in the tub. It sounds silly, but generally animals don't like to pee or crap where they eat.

... Just remember to take the food out of the tub before using the shower. :D

Doesn't everyone pee in the shower? :D

In the thread I linked above Puddy stated that he steps out of the shower. Which leads to me this equation

AAA story + stepping out of the shower to pee =

Puddy

Edited by whomper