[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need ideas for a Golf outing

Dbaxx

Fellow huddlers,

I have been nominated to organize one of the biggest tournaments of the year here in our town for the Chamber of Commerce. The format is a 4 person scramble, full field--roughly 32 teams. The money and donations are not a problem, it's thinking of new ideas to make the tournament different and unique.

Some ideas I've seen in the past:

-Give every person a helium filled balloon tied to their cart and when they use a mulligan, they launch it. Kinda funny cuz' you see all these balloons flying up in the air throughout the day.

-Pay $20 bucks to be within 100 yards on a par five.

-Closest to the pin or hole in one prizes.

I know we have a fair amount of Huddlers who enjoy golf and have played in this format so I was hoping to snag some ideas that you've seen. The tournament is not until November, so we have plenty of time. TIA!

Dbaxx #1!

I never actually participated (the one time I was going to do it, it was rained out) but some buddies of mine used to do a golf outing called "punt, pass and kick". Each round, you and your team-mate would get a punt (punt the golf ball towards the fairway or green), pass (throw the ball to your team-mate standing on fairway or green) or kick (kick the ball off the tee or ground to fairway or green).

Oh, and each two-some had to finish a case of beer. Any unfinished beers would be a stroke penalty per beer.

a few thoughts ...

charging for mulligans and throwing the money in the pot is great. give each person 2-3 for say $10 per and then the team needs to decide collectively when they will use their mulligans.

in addition to closest to the pin and hole-in-one (which i wouldn't do since its impossible, therefore useless), there are longest drive, you can put a flag in the fairway and award closest to the flag on drive, longest putt, reaching a par 5 in two, and i'm sure others will add.

Did a scramble a couple of years ago through my company for the Girl Scouts. They offered breakfast and a grab-bag of free schwag from the sponsors (pens, notepads, etc.). A couple of the par 3s had huge prizes (hole in one wins a car. Ford was a sponsor). There was also hot beer chicks driving around and they offered free beer to all participants (just gave them tips). Do you have any sponsors that can pony up anything like that?

They also had free lunch once the scramble was over. You'd go to the clubhouse for all you can eat burgers & dogs. They had a blind bid auction for different things. Anything from timeshares to signed footballs & jersies (Ronnie Brown signed the ball and Marino signed the jersey).

Good luck!

Couple of fun things I've seen done in events like this.

Opposite handed swing...pick a hole, a par 5 maybe...but any hole where you would tee of with a driver would work. But whatever side you normally hit from, you have to hit from the opposite side. You'd need to have a left handed driver available at the teebox. Right handed players would have to tee off with the left handed club. Any lefties could borrow a right handed club from someone in their group, but would have to hit right handed. Just like the rest of the tournament, they then pick the best drive and then play the hole normally. This can provide a lot of laughs as balls end up going in all directions off the tee box.

Cooler hole....we put on a benefit tournament last year and we did this on several holes...place a cooler in the fairway about 120-150 yds from the teebox. Players could hit their normal drive and forget about the cooler, or they could tee off trying to hit or get close to the cooler. Closest to the cooler at the end of the day would win whatever was in the cooler. We had placed donated prizes in there, Gift certificates to local bars and restuarants, balls, tees, etc. The one restriction on this hole, if you got one close to the cooler, you had to hit your next shot from that spot. We also had a couple nice looking girls stationed on these holes to measure how close the ball was to the cooler.

a few thoughts ...

you can put a flag in the fairway and award closest to the flag on drive,

Great idea! I will do this instead of straightest Drive...

This is what I'm looking for--keep them coming!

All suggestions are great so far and whatever works for you I would work in to the plans.

One thing that I know based on doing a lot of these outings is that people like to win prizes. Those prizes do not need to be hugh and costly. You can get a local resturant to donate a $50.00 gift card and you have a great prize for one of the skill prizes. Get a few resturants and you have a few prizes. Go to you local sporting goods store and work out some deals with them for some golf prizes. I always get free stuff from venders that try to sell stuff to my work. It gets their name out there and you get a prize for a hole.

My goal is to have a skill prize for every single hole. Par three are closest to the pins, some par fours are closest to the pin after the second shot. Par fives can be long drives, long putts, straightest drives. Point is that if you can get 18 prizes to give out as skill prizes then the golfers will love it.

I never have trouble getting 72 golfers together for an outing. Hell, I have had 144 with a waiting list just based on the 18 skill prizes, a first, second, and third place prize, and a lunch/dinner.

Couple of fun things I've seen done in events like this.

Opposite handed swing...pick a hole, a par 5 maybe...but any hole where you would tee of with a driver would work. But whatever side you normally hit from, you have to hit from the opposite side. You'd need to have a left handed driver available at the teebox. Right handed players would have to tee off with the left handed club. Any lefties could borrow a right handed club from someone in their group, but would have to hit right handed. Just like the rest of the tournament, they then pick the best drive and then play the hole normally. This can provide a lot of laughs as balls end up going in all directions off the tee box.

Cooler hole....we put on a benefit tournament last year and we did this on several holes...place a cooler in the fairway about 120-150 yds from the teebox. Players could hit their normal drive and forget about the cooler, or they could tee off trying to hit or get close to the cooler. Closest to the cooler at the end of the day would win whatever was in the cooler. We had placed donated prizes in there, Gift certificates to local bars and restuarants, balls, tees, etc. The one restriction on this hole, if you got one close to the cooler, you had to hit your next shot from that spot. We also had a couple nice looking girls stationed on these holes to measure how close the ball was to the cooler.

I like both of these ideas--I bet the left-handed deal is an absolute riot!

I need to find some hot broads for the cooler idea--that would be fun.

[Cliaz] Get a bunch of monkeys and put them scattered around the course...when people are lining up to putt, the monkeys can throw poop at them to distract them...anyone that makes their par putt must strip down to their underwear and rub Franks Hot Sauce on their body and run directly to the 18th green yelling, "I am the King of the Lizard people!"...[Cliaz]

A popular fund raising idea is to use string mulligans. Each team can buy 10' of string and use as much or little of it throughout their round for mulligans. If a team leaves a putt 2 inches from the hole they cut 2 inches off of the 10' line and pick up. So a missed birdie on a par 4 becomes a 3. Charge whatever the market will bear. Oh, be sure to provide scissors.

Things I've found to add some fun to the game;

* Each team receives a marked ball to play with. For every team member that doesn't return with marked ball a stroke penalty. Especially fun on courses with lots of water hazards, unretrievable o.b. areas.

* If playing 2 man scrambles- each team gets to pick other teams shots used on a few designated holes.

[Cliaz] Get a bunch of monkeys and put them scattered around the course...when people are lining up to putt, the monkeys can throw poop at them to distract them...anyone that makes their par putt must strip down to their underwear and rub Franks Hot Sauce on their body and run directly to the 18th green yelling, "I am the King of the Lizard people!"...[Cliaz]

That's a pretty good impression. :D

I've played a ton of these and while I don't like scramble formats because I always (well, usually) want to know what I'd shoot individually, they can be a lot of fun for players of all skill levels. Most of the ideas mentioned are pretty common. I do like that Cooler idea though. I don't recall ever seeing that before. Could bring in some new strategy: Blast a drive down the middle and let the other three players shoot at the cooler.

Mulligans for scrambles are pointless: You get 4 shots off the tee anyway. Good Money Makers though. Now, if you could use them anywhere on the course, I'd guess most will be used on the green.

A popular fund raising idea is to use string mulligans. Each team can buy 10' of string and use as much or little of it throughout their round for mulligans. If a team leaves a putt 2 inches from the hole they cut 2 inches off of the 10' line and pick up. So a missed birdie on a par 4 becomes a 3. Charge whatever the market will bear. Oh, be sure to provide scissors.

A tourney I've played in does something similar. They pre-cut all the pieces of string. Usually between 12-18 inches or so. Then put them all in sealed envelopes. Each player gets the opportunity to pay $5 for an envelope. It's a pick-it up string, and each person only uses theirs' once. They can only use it on one of their shots. Knock it close on a par three, and it's a hole in one. Nice lag put to within a couple inches and it's good, etc.

A tourney I've played in does something similar. They pre-cut all the pieces of string. Usually between 12-18 inches or so. Then put them all in sealed envelopes. Each player gets the opportunity to pay $5 for an envelope. It's a pick-it up string, and each person only uses theirs' once. They can only use it on one of their shots. Knock it close on a par three, and it's a hole in one. Nice lag put to within a couple inches and it's good, etc.

That is very clever! I will institute this one as well! Thanks and keeping them coming!

Well have only played in six scrambles this year :D

Get hole sponsers and give that money to a local charity. Have sponsers also donate prizes.

$5 mulligans(3 per player max) money goes to charity

Cut two holes on a couple of holes(usually one par3 and one par four). Teams can choose which flag to putt to when they reach the green.

Putting contests before and after each round starts for prizes.

Use your donated prizes for tee prizes or for a silent auction after the round at the 19th hole, Donate money to charity.

Keg of beer every four holes. If team just birdied the last hole they all must drink(if someone doesn't drink in the forusome, someone else needs to drink theirs).

Have your sponsers actually set up stations on tees of holes and give stuff away(water bottles, balls, chips, hot dogs etc.) along with their advertisements.

Have the Pro at the GC you are playing at help you out as much as possible. Get volunteers to help you or you will be pulling your hair out. Check online as there are a few companys that actually help coordinate thesefor x amount per person.

Good luck and have fun and remind everyone it is for charity and can be written off.

Edited by Hugh B Tool

Bring a couple bags of marshmellows. After you go over a hill on a blind tee shot...spread them out all over the fairway in the ariea where most of the tee shots land, great fun for the next group coming thru looking for their balls. :D .

Cut two holes on a couple of holes(usually one par3 and one par four). Teams can choose which flag to putt to when they reach the green.

This would be a good idea as well---especially on Par 3's. Did the charge a fee to hit at one? I'm thinking putting one deep and one short, for an extra $5.00 to $10.00 bucks, hit at the short one for the team?

Bring a couple bags of marshmellows. After you go over a hill on a blind tee shot...spread them out all over the fairway in the ariea where most of the tee shots land, great fun for the next group coming thru looking for their balls. :D .

Now THAT is funny!!!