[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is a 14 team league any fun?

Droobie42

My local league is having some issues with people so I was wondering if anyone has any experience running a 14 man league. We would have the change our 3rd WR slot to a WR/TE, but is it as good as a 12 man? Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

My local league is having some issues with people so I was wondering if anyone has any experience running a 14 man league. We would have the change our 3rd WR slot to a WR/TE, but is it as good as a 12 man? Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

I play in 3 - 16 team leagues and have played in a 32 team league and actually found them more fun than my 12 team local. You have to dig a little deeper because there will be less talent available, but that adds to the fun IMO. Is this league a redraft and if not how are you going about setting up the new teams so that the old one's don't have an advantage?

I am currently in 2 14 team leagues. For me the best part of FF is the draft itself. That is when your weeks of research and drafting skills really come out. The more teams that you add to your league equals more work for your league mates in finding players. It is more of a challenge to have a 14 man league so I equate that into it being "more fun". The people that draft well will have success no matter how many teams are in a league. The people who are weak at drafting will find adding teams to be a determent to their season.

You find that most long time FF players will only play in a league with a minimum 12 teams. 10 and 8 team leagues are not much of a challenge and as such become boring real quick.

Requires a bit more skill/knowledge, so I find larger leagues more interesting. Takes a bit more of the luck out of it.

we moved from 12 to 14 last season and i found it not only more fun, but more challenging (as others have said) to dig up deeper talent/sleepers.

You find that most long time FF players will only play in a league with a minimum 12 teams. 10 and 8 team leagues are not much of a challenge and as such become boring real quick.

Two perfect examples right here.

I'm playing in a 14-team league for the first time this year at work, having only played in 12-team leagues up to this point. To make things even more interesting for me, I also got stuck with the 14th pick, so the drafting in the basement article was a good read. Given it's your typical work league with a decent amount of QB-crazy noobs, I have no idea who's going to be around at 14 and 15. The biggest challenge will be the huge gap between my picks, I won't be to count on anyone being there when it comes back to me.

I much prefer 14 team leagues to 12 team leagues, and don't like leagues with less than 12 teams much at all.

Provided all the owners are fairly knowledgable, in 14 team leagues almost all - if not all - the teams have weaknesses, and owners have to decide where those weaknesses will be. Do you sacrifice at #2 RB to take a top 7 QB? Do you hope to strike it rich with a later round #3 WR that may or may not breakout in order to have RB depth?

Tremendous fun.

I much prefer 14 team leagues to 12 team leagues, and don't like leagues with less than 12 teams much at all.

Provided all the owners are fairly knowledgable, in 14 team leagues almost all - if not all - the teams have weaknesses, and owners have to decide where those weaknesses will be. Do you sacrifice at #2 RB to take a top 7 QB? Do you hope to strike it rich with a later round #3 WR that may or may not breakout in order to have RB depth?

Tremendous fun.

+1

I'm in a 16 team league - Good vs Evil - (actually 32, with two conferences) that's drafting right now. You may want to check it out.link

Good question.

The answer is not in the number of teams, but the number of starting positions. For instance, WCOFF is made up of 12-team leagues...but it requires 10 starters every week. So, it offers the same quality people are talking about in this thread -- the need to dig deeper and allow your superior research to pay off.

12-team leagues are fun, unless you're stuck on the 8-player starting lineup. Aim for 120 starters (total) every week.

The 14-teamer I started with buddies this year requires 9 starters per team (14x9 = 126 total starters). I included a few flex options to give each owner more flexibility in finding talent.

1 QB

1 RB

1 WR

1 TE

2 RB/WR flex

1 WR/TE flex

1 Team D

1 PK

I'm excited (and I think Canes is, too :D) to see how the draft plays out. :D

Regardless of number of teams you can have fun in any league as long as you have active knowledgeable owners. I have found that the larger the league (especially locals) the more watered down the ownership talent is. I would rather play in an 8 team league with 8 very good active owners than in a 14 team league with 10 great owners.

Also, I agree Swiss on the number of starters being more of a factor than the number of teams. I was in an 10 team league with 12 starters and it was one of the most fun leagues I have played in. :D

Edited by T-Scorp