[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should I Join Hell's Angels?

SheikYerbuti

So, my car got wrecked by the mailman 2 months ago. Some of you may have read about it. Well, the insurance check came in and we're deciding what to do about it. We don't really NEED two cars because the Shiekette and I have pretty compatible schedules. So, I was thinking about getting a small motorcycle. Nothing big, just a 250cc. Just something to get around town and use for emergency transportation

Pros:

1. A fraction of the cost of a car, both the bike itself and the insurance (I got a quote for less than $200/year)

2. I can store it in my crowded garage

3. It's cool . . . :D

Cons:

1. It's more dangerous than a car (or at least that's the conception)

2. Higher risk of theft?

3. Gotta take a safety course, which at the moment are booked up for months

Alright huddlers, talk me into/out of this. . . .

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pros:

1. A fraction of the cost of a car, both the bike itself and the insurance (I got a quote for less than $200/year)

And the gas!

If you feel safe driving it, and the climate is ok year round, it can be a frugal option.

So, my car got wrecked by the mailman 2 months ago. Some of you may have read about it. Well, the insurance check came in and we're deciding what to do about it. We don't really NEED two cars because the Shiekette and I have pretty compatible schedules. So, I was thinking about getting a small motorcycle. Nothing big, just a 250cc. Just something to get around town and use for emergency transportation

Pros:

2. I can store it in my crowded garage

3. It's cool . . . :D

Cons:

1. It's more dangerous than a car (or at least that's the conception)

2. Higher risk of theft?

3. Gotta take a safety course, which at the moment are booked up for months

I have lost 3 friends to bikes during my life.

And I almost lost one of my closest friends.

I am very against them.

Edited by MrTed46

IMO, there's a huge difference from having a "tooling around" bike that you ride in groups at low speeds than there is in some "crotch rocket" and/or a bike ridden singly in traffic.

Oh, and you may want to estimate the probability of being in a wreck and the anticipated costs associated with the accident when deciding whether or not it's less expensive than driving a car.

Edited by muck

Hells angels requirements :

1. Mean sounding motorcycle

2. Do you enjoy heroin ? If not will you at least sell it

3. Bar room brawls ...what's your take ?

4. Thick leather jackets to be worn in 100 degree weather all the time

5. Small nazi looking helmets to be worn on while riding which provide little safety but apparently makes one look tough

6. Do you enjoy eatung bugs all types that would hit your face at 70 mph when driving on open road

If you agree to these terms , welcome to the hells angels

Just kidding

As for serious answer , I would say no ..stick with car

Good luck

I have lost 3 friends to bikes during my life.

And I almost lost one of my closest friends.

I am very against them.

I have seen two very serious motorcycle accidents in my life. One where my dad was driving and I was in the passenger seat going to a softball team picnic and the guy was riding with his 9 year old son. He tried passing my dad when we were turning left into the farm where the picnic was at and he revved the engine to get past my dad as he starting turning left. The poor kid got a chunk of flesh gashed out by my dad's front grill when they hit the quarter panel on the left side and the grill just eat up the kids leg... The bike then hit a telephone pole and both dad and kid flew several yards down the road with the kids bone taking on road gravel, dirt, etc... It was brutal to watch and see this poor kid pay for the recklessness of his dad. Seemed to take hours for the ambulance to arrive while wifes of my teammates tried to comfort the boy to keep him from going into shock. :D

The 2nd accident was a car just in front of me turned left and directly into the path of a bike. The poor guy didn't have another time to ditch and his bike wheel crumpled into the front of the car and he flipped right over the handlebars and slid down the hood until he landed on the ground slumped over sitting there stunned. Fortunately, there were plenty of witnesses and it was literally right next to the hospital parking lot. The lady left her car to run into one of the adjacent medical practices right next to the hospital for help as I could see how distraught about what she just did trying to help the guy out... Didn't see how this one ended, but he stopped well enough that I am sure he had a few broken bones, but not life threatening injuries.

For these reasons alone.... I will NEVER get on a motorcycle or let my kids ride one until they are off on their own, and I don't have a say. Life is way to short and you could be the best rider in the world, but if you run into someone with an SUV, you may never see the next day, your kids, wife, etc... There is just no protection whatsover on a bike and it is not worth the risk of your health IMO.

I would vote yes.

Getting on the road in a car or motorcycle is one of the most dangerous things you can do. :D

According to the NHTSA, if you are under 40, your odds of not dying on the mean streets on a motorcycle are pretty good. :D

You get > 50 mpg and a nice, cheap ride. What's not to like?

Husband of a girl I work with just lost his leg from a motorcycle accident. Unfortunately, those things just aren't safe enough with the other idjuts driving around not paying attention. I'd vote no.

I'm sure you'd be safe, but the guy/girl on the cell phone in the minivan carting around his rugrats isn't.

Husband of a girl I work with just lost his leg from a motorcycle accident. Unfortunately, those things just aren't safe enough with the other idjuts driving around not paying attention. I'd vote no.

I'm sure you'd be safe, but the guy/girl on the cell phone in the minivan carting around his rugrats isn't.

or think about the guy in the vette trying to make up for his small genitals driving too fast and you don't have time to react...

Bikes are dumb. Stick to a car. Oh and having a bike isn't cool, some think they are but they're not. :D Death Traps!!

I think if you're tooling around town on a 250, you'll be fine -- if you can accept that at some point, an idiot with a car is going to hit you and it's going to hurt.

As for me, a motorcycle is on the "list of things I cannot have" penned by Mrs. Jelly as I have farrrr to strong a proclivity for speed (hence the need for me to putt putt around in my Echo) -- the list also includes a flame thrower, grappling hooks, a dwarf, and other things which inspire the question "now how could THAT be a bad idea" when she's not around ...

Hey, it's fair and I can live with the list, as it allows me to cross off "humus pile" and "clothes line" from the contents of the Donutrun Empire.

Get a used Toyota Echo. Same price as a bike and chicks DIG them. :D

I bought my first street bike two years ago, and have been in two near accidents in that time. You have to be aware of your surroundings and you have to be two steps ahead of everyone around you. I live in NJ and this time of year we get allot of "shore" traffic. So I tend to ride off peak. People get hurt or even killed riding around here this time of year.

I'll give you the same advice my Father gave me (he has survived 45+ years riding and was a Hell's Angel... None of the above posted requirements are true :D by the by).... If you are going to ride, you have to do it like half of the motorists on the road don't see you and the other half of the motorists on the road are gunning for you.

Be careful but enjoy it. It is a blast!

Make sure you get yoursefl into those courses... booked or not.

Edited by Flypaste

I'd say if it's possible to get by on one car (what happens if that one breaks down or gets smashed?) Then I would say go for it but take the courses and be very careful. I avoided at least three accidents my first couple years of riding and none were even close to my fault.

Also keep in mind if you get hooked more than likely you're not going to want to stick with a 250cc. I have a 1983 Yamaha Virago 500cc that has plenty of power but I want to sell it and eventually get something bigger. My :D

I have been riding sincd i was 16, if you don't know how to ride forget it. If you live in AC you wouldn't need anything big, hell you could buy a moped. I live in ventnor so i know what traffic is like here. Take a rider safety course if you do buy a bike, shoot me a pm , i could answer questions you may have.

P.S Irish is a wimp , who doen't have a clue.

I bought my first street bike two years ago, and have been in two near accidents in that time. You have to be aware of your surroundings and you have to be two steps ahead of everyone around you. I live in NJ and this time of year we get allot of "shore" traffic. So I tend to ride off peak. People get hurt or even killed riding around here this time of year.

I'll give you the same advice my Father gave me (he has survived 45+ years riding and was a Hell's Angel... None of the above posted requirements are true :D by the by).... If you are going to ride, you have to do it like half of the motorists on the road don't see you and the other half of the motorists on the road are gunning for you.

Be careful but enjoy it. It is a blast!

Make sure you get yoursefl into those courses... booked or not.

He is right on with this info!

A lot of good responses here. Thanks for them. I've been thinking about this a lot in the last few days. It's not something I'm going to rush into. It's funny as you get older and grow more aware of your own mortality It was just 7 years ago that I was living in New York City and my favorite activity was getting on my mountain bike with no helmet and only shorts and a T-shirt and tearing ass as fast as I could go from one side of Manhattan to the other. I used to see how fast I could get from Washington Heights to Battery Park. I would fly through intersections, cut off buses, blow through red lights, weave at top speed through seas of pedestrians. I once plowed into an opening taxi door and went flying over the handlebars. I was more worried about the damage to my bike than the fact that my hand was mashed up. I was lucky to walk away from it at all.

Now I'm talking about taking a safety course and always riding with a helmet and full clothing and I'm being as cautious as an old lady. Anyway, I'm going to continue to read up and make the most informed decision I can make. I would just hate to make a decision based on fear. I mean, it's not alligator wrestling or cliff diving. I really see myself as an ultra-defensive super-careful rider. Still, the soccer mom with the cell phone up to her ear is always a concern, whether I'm on a bike, or in my car, or crossing the street. I've also seen some anti-bike websites with brutally graphic pictures of bike accidents. Just about all of them involve the riders going way over the speed limit or without helmets.

Anyway, it's something I'm going to continue to mull over. Thanks again for your input guys.

Ride smart and be safe at all times and you "should" be ok. There's always J.R. Stupid out there trying to shave or put on makeup that can get you. I rode for 20 years and plan on riding again once I get out of DC area (just too dangerous on the roads here) and luckily never had an accident. Expect the best but plan for the worst is a real good way to approach things on a bike. Plan on buying the best riding gear you can so factor that into your purchase budget.

Or the glare of the shiny vette that is washed 5 times a week may cause a wreck.

Puhleeze. You don't get that glare until you wash it at least 6 times a week.

When you are riding at 50 mph just look down and realize there is NOTHING between you and the asphalt.. The other people out there don't pay attention to cycles, I had 5-6 times where they changed lanes on me because they just didn't see me.. I had one for about 4 years and the risks outweighed the pros...

When you are riding at 50 mph just look down and realize there is NOTHING between you and the asphalt.. The other people out there don't pay attention to cycles, I had 5-6 times where they changed lanes on me because they just didn't see me.. I had one for about 4 years and the risks outweighed the pros...

Same deal with my Father when they moved to Arizona...he bought a pretty sweet Triumph to ride to work and back...realized it was too scary and not worth the risk so he sold it...