[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Unfair treatment of Black QB's

FishFreak

I had a heated discussion with my buddy recently and we were both ticked off at the classless acts and blatant disrepect shown to Black QB's in recent years. My friend and I are both African-American and I'm assuming these boards consist of mostly middle aged white men. I'd like to get your thoughts on if we're over reacting, making these incidents into a racial issue or have a valid point. We are all biased in some ways and have our opininons but the public gets very touchy when talking about race. Feel free to speak your mind and don't worry I won't accuse you of being the overly used term "rascist". I just want to get your honest opinion. The best way to improve race realtions and uncomfortable situations is to talk about it and experess opinions.

Bottom line is my friend and I feel like white QB's generally have a much longer leash, get more opportunities, and are certainly treated in a much more professional manner than their counterpart black qb's sadly. Here are the most recent examples below.

1) Steve McNair- This one was shocking. McNair was the backbone on the Titans for years, went to a SB, won a co-MVP (questionable), went to Pro-Bowls and gave his heart and soul to to the Titans playing hurt many times. What did he get for his service? Evicted from the Titans facilities in a classless way then held on to purposely and let go late so he wouldn't have much time to digest his new teams offense. I've never really seen a franchise QB ever get so blatantly disrespected. It just doesn't happen. It thought that might be an isolated incident.

2) Byron Leftwich- A week before the season starts is cut after being named the season starter. Not demoted, not re-announcing a open competition just cut like a sack of potatoes as if the guy was a special teams player trying to make the team. Now Leftwich is not an accomplished NFL QB and has injury issues but he was a high 1st round draft pick and has potential especially if you surround him with better WR's. Again, you just won't see white QB's treated in this manner...ever.

3) Jemarcus Russell- The Raiders make this guy the no. 1 overall pick and then don't want to pay him the proper guarnateed money? How rediculous is that? Then they finally sign him going into week 2 of the season! That's just rediculous. Maybe his agent was asking for too much or there were some behind the scenes ugly stuff. What ever the case, a no. 1 pick never gets treated like that. It just doesn't happen.

4) Duante Culpepper- The Fish sign this guy after major knee surgery, then give him just one season to prove his worth. They then turn around and yet again you cut him late to sign an aging stop gap QB in Green? Again C-Pep is an ESTABLISHED, pro bowl QB who has put up some studly seasons. I would expect him to be given better opportunities than starting for the lowly Raiders (no offense homers). There are about 5-10 teams with sucky QB's but C-Pep can't get aother decent shot? Maybe I'm biased on this one and C-Pep is washed up due to injury but he's only 32 and shouldn't be thinking about the CFL yet IMO.

5) Donovan McNabb- The man was booed by the morons of brotherly love from the day he was drafted. And no matter what he does, someone is always calling him out and questioning his accomplishments as if he lucked into being a Pro Bowler, leading his team to a SB and becoming an elite NFL QB. Yeah he's caught the injury bug lately but he's always been a great QB for that team. Just watch how quickly his window is closing if he doesn't get it done this year or maybe next year. That city will be calling for the rookie Kevin Kolb and turn it's back and show the door to McNabb in a heartbeat. McNabb's situation is more speculation than anything but I see the tidal wave coming.

So with that said please respond.......

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Warren Moon was loved in Houston and did not the Eagle homers like Peete???

You may want to watch his special. He will tell you how loved he was while he was winning and the special "love" and love letters he got when he didn't win or made a few mistakes in the game...........

Also culppepper made things extra messy because he didn't have an agent..........

Edited by Cowboyz1

5) Donovan McNabb- The man was booed by the morons of brotherly love from the day he was drafted. That city will be calling for the rookie Kevin Kolb and turn it's back and show the door to McNabb in a heartbeat.

Those morans are in love with Westbrook and Dawkins. They're the same race as McNabb. :D

Bledsoe had some nice seasons and got dumped by Dallas, noone's heard from him since.

I don't want to argue, I really don't b/c maybe you have valid points who knows?? But let me ask you this.

Do you think that all NFL owners should have to interview black coaches when a job opening occurs?

I had a heated discussion with my buddy recently and we were both ticked off at the classless acts and blatant disrepect shown to Black QB's in recent years. My friend and I are both African-American and I'm assuming these boards consist of mostly middle aged white men. I'd like to get your thoughts on if we're over reacting, making these incidents into a racial issue or have a valid point. We are all biased in some ways and have our opininons but the public gets very touchy when talking about race. Feel free to speak your mind and don't worry I won't accuse you of being the overly used term "rascist". I just want to get your honest opinion. The best way to improve race realtions and uncomfortable situations is to talk about it and experess opinions.

Bottom line is my friend and I feel like white QB's generally have a much longer leash, get more opportunities, and are certainly treated in a much more professional manner than their counterpart black qb's sadly. Here are the most recent examples below.

1) Steve McNair- This one was shocking. McNair was the backbone on the Titans for years, went to a SB, won a co-MVP (questionable), went to Pro-Bowls and gave his heart and soul to to the Titans playing hurt many times. What did he get for his service? Evicted from the Titans facilities in a classless way then held on to purposely and let go late so he wouldn't have much time to digest his new teams offense. I've never really seen a franchise QB ever get so blatantly disrespected. It just doesn't happen. It thought that might be an isolated incident.

The way they treated him was classless but they knew he was not the QB they needed anymoreespecially since they started to rebuild Look at him now he is a shell of the player he was before they released him Also they drafted a Franchise black QB Young.

2) Byron Leftwich- A week before the season starts is cut after being named the season starter. Not demoted, not re-announcing a open competition just cut like a sack of potatoes as if the guy was a special teams player trying to make the team. Now Leftwich is not an accomplished NFL QB and has injury issues but he was a high 1st round draft pick and has potential especially if you surround him with better WR's. Again, you just won't see white QB's treated in this manner...ever.

Leftwich never proved a thing since he had been there, he's had plenty of years to prove his worth. He was cut and released...and another black quarterback is starting for him.

3) Jemarcus Russell- The Raiders make this guy the no. 1 overall pick and then don't want to pay him the proper guarnateed money? How rediculous is that? Then they finally sign him going into week 2 of the season! That's just rediculous. Maybe his agent was asking for too much or there were some behind the scenes ugly stuff. What ever the case, a no. 1 pick never gets treated like that. It just doesn't happen.

Russell wanted 31 million in guaranteed, thats quite a lot. Plus I think it has a lot to do with Russell not wanting to be in training camp. They were trying to get the contract done, but Russell kept saying no until he got 31 guaranteed.

4) Duante Culpepper- The Fish sign this guy after major knee surgery, then give him just one season to prove his worth. They then turn around and yet again you cut him late to sign an aging stop gap QB in Green? Again C-Pep is an ESTABLISHED, pro bowl QB who has put up some studly seasons. I would expect him to be given better opportunities than starting for the lowly Raiders (no offense homers). There are about 5-10 teams with sucky QB's but C-Pep can't get aother decent shot? Maybe I'm biased on this one and C-Pep is washed up due to injury but he's only 32 and shouldn't be thinking about the CFL yet IMO.

He WAS an established pro bowl QB, and we have yet to see if he can bring it back together. The year where he was hurt, he looked terrible. He rushed his comeback HIMSELF and made his performances look even worse. I believe his release has more to do with getting past the Nick Saban regime than anything else.

5) Donovan McNabb- The man was booed by the morons of brotherly love from the day he was drafted. And no matter what he does, someone is always calling him out and questioning his accomplishments as if he lucked into being a Pro Bowler, leading his team to a SB and becoming an elite NFL QB. Yeah he's caught the injury bug lately but he's always been a great QB for that team. Just watch how quickly his window is closing if he doesn't get it done this year or maybe next year. That city will be calling for the rookie Kevin Kolb and turn it's back and show the door to McNabb in a heartbeat. McNabb's situation is more speculation than anything but I see the tidal wave coming.

Philly boos everyone...Jeff Garcia was booed the first down he played last year, you have to earn their respect...and McNabb did. Kolb was drafted for the reason you stated, McNabb is injury prone. He has finished I think 1 season in the past 5?

So with that said please respond.......

Most teams don't have a viable backup to be put in, or they don't have another QB to draft. Lovie Smith is black, but gives Grossman a long leash even though he is terrible...he has no one else. Vick was given a big leash also. Romeo Crennel on the other hand has a VERY small leash. Charlie Frye traded after 1 start for a team?

Edited by CD6405

I'm not going to say there's nothing to your theory, but weren't Mcnair and Leftwich replaced by black qb's. And the Raiders are the Raiders - and they did finally get him signed. Culpepper is nowhere near the qb he once was. Mcnabb may not have treated that great but look at chad pennington who was just booed after getting injured by New York fans.

I'm thinking you guys ARE just being a little over-sensitive. First thing, any NFL team is a business first. Just about all of the examples you gave can be associated with a business mentality. I can attempt to see things sitting in your shoes (if though it would probably be futile), but put youself in the shoes of an owner of an NFL team, or a CEO of any company..and view why these dicisions were made.

But let me ask you this.

Do you think that all NFL owners should have to interview black coaches when a job opening occurs?

Yes, and it is not because of what you think. It is so they at least have a conversation with a black professional person. Which you may or may not believe rarely happens at the New Yorker Yatch Club for men............

NFL owners travel in circles that very few blacks are in. Therefore, when do you ever actually speak to a black person about anything unless you want to. Hiring is about friendships and knowing someone. Forcing GM's and owners to talk with black perspective coaches gives them opportunies to get to know one another and gain perspective that they may never get without the rule. Not only that it gives black coaches interview experience and where else are you going to get that.......

Just like Remember the Titans. Coach Boone forced the players to get to know one another. You think they would have done that on their own?

Edited by Cowboyz1

1) Steve McNair- Was washed up and refused to restructure his deal where he was do something along the lines of 50 million. Not a race issue. The Titans sure have been patient with Pac Man...

2) Byron Leftwich- David Gerrard? Hell, the guy behind Gerrard is black. Asinine statment. Leftwich flat out sucks.

3) Jemarcus Russell- The Raiders don't want to pay anyone that amount of money. Its Al Davis, I think you're on the rag.

4) Duante Culpepper- They thought he had a better chance at his knee healing, pair that with a regime change and you've got you answer... Again, not a race thing.

5) Donovan McNabb- Its Philly, quit being a women. They boo everything if it plays poorly. And as far as the drafting of Kolb... Give me a freaking break, McNabb gets hurt very often and is over 30 years old. Its called safe guarding your team...

Honestly, I think you've got too much time on your hands. All of the moves made by franchises had something to do with a problem between the player and coaching staff or poor or declining play. McNabb happens to play for a city that will turn on you in a second...

How about how Atlanta stayed with Mike Vick up to his pleading guilty?

I know this will probably piss you off, but I think your pulling of the race card is out of line.

But let me ask you this.

I don't think it should be mandated. You guys can talk about hiring whitey because he's white, but the bottom line with these teams is winning. If its a black coach that gives them the best opportunity, he'll get the job.

This question goes a lot deeper than race though, as the mandate tells you how to run your team, which isn't right, but thats another topic.

Yes, and it is not because of what you think. It is so they at least have a conversation with a black professional person. Which you may or may not believe rarely happens at the New Yorker Yatch Club for men............

NFL owners travel in circles that very few blacks are in. Therefore, when do you ever actually speak to a black person about anything unless you want to. Hiring is about friendships and knowing someone. Forcing GM's and owners to talk with black perspective coaches gives them opportunies to get to know one another and gain perspective that they may never get without the rule.

Just like Remember the Titans. Coach Boone forced the players to get to know one another. You think they would have done that on their own?

Fair enough. I just think it's a crazy rule. If I own an NFL franchise and I want to hire either Bill Parcells or, say Bill Cowher to coach my team, why do I have to interview Romeo Crennel?

I don't think it should be mandated. You guys can talk about hiring whitey because he's white, but the bottom line with these teams is winning. If its a black coach that gives them the best opportunity, he'll get the job.

This question goes a lot deeper than race though, as the mandate tells you how to run your team, which isn't right, but thats another topic.

agreed.

You make some interesting observations but I do believe you are over stating the race issue. The number one thing in the mind of the vast majority of pro sports franchises is money. If you can make them better or make them money even without making them better then you're gonna be okay in their books. Also the majority of the league(NFL) is black and the number of black QBs is ever increasing.

Now to address each player on an individual basis:

McNair - Treated badly? Definitely. Is he as good as he used to be? Not even close. He was also made expendable by the drafting of another amazing young black QB.

Leftwich - This has been in the works for a couple years now and he was also replaced by another black QB. Timing bad? Yes. Who snatched him up when he was cut? Nobody.

Russell - Don't know all the details of his contract dispute but he was drafted #1 overall. Not too much disrespect in that.

Culpepper - Is backing up Josh McCown? I don't think anything else needs to be said.

McNabb - Boos on draft day. He wasn't the guy the fans wanted. Big deal, happens all the time. Currently... when you're not winning or you have been winning but you can't get over the hump fans and ownership get impatient and they blame the coach, the QB or both. Why? Because most fans are ignorant like most people. (Vinny Testaverde and Trent Dilfer were constantly blamed for the Bucs woes and they were unceremoniously run out of town. Not that they were great mind you but it's very difficult to complete passes from your backside. They received the blame nonetheless.) Multiple NFC championship games without a victory and when he did get there he played miserably. I know, I know, he was ill. but still.

Fair enough. I just think it's a crazy rule. If I own an NFL franchise and I want to hire either Bill Parcells or, say Bill Cowher to coach my team, why do I have to interview Romeo Crennel?

Because that is what's called the "good ole boy network" and black coaches would rarely get interviews because they would rather go with who they know and never find out that Romeo or Lovie had anything to offer because they never had to talk with them. Recycling the network is how glass ceilings are fortified. It's just like the civil rights movement nothing would have changed, or change would have been very very slow if laws were not put in place to insure fair treatment to every human being black, white or purple. Human nature is such that we tend to go with who and what is comfortable. It took Doug Williams to prove black quarterbacks could win the big one and it took Gibbs (to his credit) forcing himself to come out of his comfort zone to give him a chance despite the backlash from the public and his peers. Many men are not that strong to do that so temporarily you need a rule so that owners can use that as a scapegoat to take a chance on interviewing a black coach and not have to answer to their peers for doing so............it makes it safe so to speak.