[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Unfair treatment of Black QB's

FishFreak

I don't know why it would be QB-centric.....what's position have to do with it? So if you look around the NFL as a whole, your surrounded by black heroes. Vick WAS mr. excitement in ATL, Bush is the new role model, Harrison the icon for hard work and modesty, LT the quiet record breaker....etc etc.

If you ask me, it's the offensive linemen who are treated unfairly. And they're mostly white. They get zero recongnition, the least pay, no star power, and I am always shocked when I see one who is asked to play with a frickin' cast molded to his arm! :D

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This question goes a lot deeper than race though, as the mandate tells you how to run your team, which isn't right, but thats another topic.

No, it doesn't tell you how to run your team it just say's "hey have a convesation with these guys" you may discover something you didn't know. It may just be that 30 teams would have done it anyway if they had qualified coaches but those last two would just never do it regardless of the qualifications because they just don't want to or they're not comfortable with it.......

Edited by Cowboyz1

Because that is what's called the "good ole boy network" and black coaches would rarely get interviews because they would rather go with who they know and never find out that Romeo or Lovie had anything to offer because they never had to talk with them. Recycling the network is how glass ceilings are fortified. It's just like the civil rights movement nothing would have changed, or change would have been very very slow if laws were not put in place to insure fair treatment to every human being black, white or purple. Human nature is such that we tend to go with who and what is comfortable. It took Doug Williams to prove black quarterbacks could win the big one and it took Gibbs (to his credit) forcing himself to come out of his comfort zone to give him a chance despite the backlash from the public and his peers. Many men are not that strong to do that so temporarily you need a rule so that owners can use that as a scapegoat to take a chance on interviewing a black coach and not have to answer to their peers for doing so............it makes it safe so to speak.

I just don't buy it. This is an odd arguement when you're talking about a league made up of, what, 80-90% black players??

If I shell out hundreds of millions of dollars to buy a franchise in the United States of America, who the hell is anybody to tell me how to run it?

I don't know why it would be QB-centric.....what's position have to do with it? So if you look around the NFL as a whole, your surrounded by black heroes. Vick WAS mr. excitement in ATL, Bush is the new role model, Harrison the icon for hard work and modesty, LT the quiet record breaker....etc etc.

If you ask me, it's the offensive linemen who are treated unfairly. And they're mostly white. They get zero recongnition, the least pay, no star power, and I am always shocked when I see one who is asked to play with a frickin' cast molded to his arm! :wacko:

:D

:D

Let me see.....Bledsoe last year on Monday Night football was pulled in front of millions for an unproven Tony Romo...how was Bledsoe treated any different than any example you have brought to this shadowy light? What about poor Kurt Warner...Super Bowl hero and then dumped like a plastic razor in a barber shop. I'm not saying that your bulllet points do not have any substance...its just that each time race is brought up its about judging the color of one's skin instead of one's talent. Most all coaches and owners want to win and will take a Doug Williams any day of the week. Talent to play at full throttle play after play (unless you are Randy Moss LOL) comes from a finely tuned body with minimal damage. That's a tough commodity among QB's now a days..Favre and Manning are exceptions rather than the rule. Culpepper, McNair, Warner and Bledsoe are examples of not being able to play at full throttle for more than a few games without issues....they are intelligent and once marvelously talented QB's. Jon Kitna and Trent Duilfer were IMO treated the same as the ones you have mentioned....growing a business in the NFL is giving the fans what they want to see, who they want to see and the owners finding the best talent for each Sunday for 16 games....the QB's you mentioned could no longer give this for 16 weeks...time to move on....McNabb may be the exception, but he is truly loved in Philly...just check out any Sunday how many "white" boys wear his jersey....people love winners and hate losers....they don't care what one's skin tone is when winning...losers look for excuses and bring skin tone in as a wild card to cover up the truth. The real enemy here is talent and diminishing returns. Not skin color....if you ask most guys here who they want on their FF teams the true owner wants LT, LJ, S Jackson--S Smith, Holt, Harrison and Peyton....I gotta believe the owners in the NFL do the same thing.....Winning is the "ONLY" thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

McNabb was NOT booed when drafted because he was black. He was booed because some wanted Wiliams over him. While there may be a legit arguement somewhere in your post, I think you are barking up the wrong tree with the McNabb drafting instance.

Edited by TDFFFreak

I just don't buy it. This is an odd arguement when you're talking about a league made up of, what, 80-90% black players??

If I shell out hundreds of millions of dollars to buy a franchise in the United States of America, who the hell is anybody to tell me how to run it?

They're not being told who to hire, just requiring they interview minorities. Blacks were being overlooked for opportunities in the past and this is a way to avoid this continuing. I'm not sure why it's even a big deal to anyone.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm a little surprised how some guys went into attack mode but it's expected when race is discussed. I'm just trying to have an open discussion on a sensitive issue. You guys missed the boat a little though. You can disagree with me on my five examples but I gave those examples to back up what my initial opinion was about.....how unfairly some black qb's have been treated compared to their white counterparts.

I'm fully aware of the dollar and sense meat market mentality of the NFL but we all know the QB is the most important position in football and get get treated differently for the most part. QB's are rarely treated like the McNair, Leftwich and Russell examples and are usually your franchise guy (hopefully). In fact white QB's are never treated that way. Please share some examples if you have any. And keep in mind there aren't many black qb's to begin with which makes it more bothersome to me. .

Also, some guys mentioned how the Jaguars and Titans both have black qb's after giving McNair and Leftwich the unprofessional boot. So what? Does that make a wrong right?

I appreciate the feedback. I'm a little surprised how some guys went into attack mode but it's expected when race is discussed. I'm just trying to have an open discussion on a sensitive issue. You guys missed the boat a little though. You can disagree with me on my five examples but I gave those examples to back up what my initial opinion was about.....how unfairly some black qb's have been treated compared to their white counterparts.

I'm fully aware of the dollar and sense meat market mentality of the NFL but we all know the QB is the most important position in football and get get treated differently for the most part. QB's are rarely treated like the McNair, Leftwich and Russell examples and are usually your franchise guy (hopefully). In fact white QB's are never treated that way. Please share some examples if you have any. And keep in mind there aren't many black qb's to begin with which makes it more bothersome to me. .

Also, some guys mentioned how the Jaguars and Titans both have black qb's after giving McNair and Leftwich the unprofessional boot. So what? Does that make a wrong right?

Joey Harrington

I had a heated discussion with my buddy recently and we were both ticked off at the classless acts and blatant disrepect shown to Black QB's in recent years. My friend and I are both African-American and I'm assuming these boards consist of mostly middle aged white men. I'd like to get your thoughts on if we're over reacting, making these incidents into a racial issue or have a valid point. We are all biased in some ways and have our opininons but the public gets very touchy when talking about race. Feel free to speak your mind and don't worry I won't accuse you of being the overly used term "rascist". I just want to get your honest opinion. The best way to improve race realtions and uncomfortable situations is to talk about it and experess opinions.

Bottom line is my friend and I feel like white QB's generally have a much longer leash, get more opportunities, and are certainly treated in a much more professional manner than their counterpart black qb's sadly. Here are the most recent examples below.

1) Steve McNair- This one was shocking. McNair was the backbone on the Titans for years, went to a SB, won a co-MVP (questionable), went to Pro-Bowls and gave his heart and soul to to the Titans playing hurt many times. What did he get for his service? Evicted from the Titans facilities in a classless way then held on to purposely and let go late so he wouldn't have much time to digest his new teams offense. I've never really seen a franchise QB ever get so blatantly disrespected. It just doesn't happen. It thought that might be an isolated incident.

This has more to do with finances more than anything else.....and we don't know the full story of why he was evicted from the facility....he could of been bad mouthing the franchise about his situation and becoming a cancer in the lockerroom for all we know.... Secondly Fischer is not very well known for treating ex quarterbacks very well at all. I forget the white guys name that was a back up there and traded....but he said some things on the way out the door and then Fischer publicly bashed him as well.

2) Byron Leftwich- A week before the season starts is cut after being named the season starter. Not demoted, not re-announcing a open competition just cut like a sack of potatoes as if the guy was a special teams player trying to make the team. Now Leftwich is not an accomplished NFL QB and has injury issues but he was a high 1st round draft pick and has potential especially if you surround him with better WR's. Again, you just won't see white QB's treated in this manner...ever.

The guy flat out is not a good quarterback.....they were trying to give him every chance in the world to prove himself and that is why he was there so late.... in retrospect I am sure they would of rather cut him early so he could of caught on with another team in camp.

3) Jemarcus Russell- The Raiders make this guy the no. 1 overall pick and then don't want to pay him the proper guarnateed money? How rediculous is that? Then they finally sign him going into week 2 of the season! That's just rediculous. Maybe his agent was asking for too much or there were some behind the scenes ugly stuff. What ever the case, a no. 1 pick never gets treated like that. It just doesn't happen.

You act like 31 million dollars is nothing..... first off.... no NFL contract is guaranteed..... if memory serves me right...... the guaranteed money comes in the form of a signing bonus...... to put his guaranteed money in perspective.... Peyton Manning's last contract in 2004 got him $34.5 in a signing bonus. So who know seems like being the thick headed person.

4) Duante Culpepper- The Fish sign this guy after major knee surgery, then give him just one season to prove his worth. They then turn around and yet again you cut him late to sign an aging stop gap QB in Green? Again C-Pep is an ESTABLISHED, pro bowl QB who has put up some studly seasons. I would expect him to be given better opportunities than starting for the lowly Raiders (no offense homers). There are about 5-10 teams with sucky QB's but C-Pep can't get aother decent shot? Maybe I'm biased on this one and C-Pep is washed up due to injury but he's only 32 and shouldn't be thinking about the CFL yet IMO.

Wasn't he bringing a World of baggage after the "love boat" scandal and a bad year at the helm of the Vikings ???? Hasn't he seemed lost ever since he lost Randy Moss.

5) Donovan McNabb- The man was booed by the morons of brotherly love from the day he was drafted. And no matter what he does, someone is always calling him out and questioning his accomplishments as if he lucked into being a Pro Bowler, leading his team to a SB and becoming an elite NFL QB. Yeah he's caught the injury bug lately but he's always been a great QB for that team. Just watch how quickly his window is closing if he doesn't get it done this year or maybe next year. That city will be calling for the rookie Kevin Kolb and turn it's back and show the door to McNabb in a heartbeat. McNabb's situation is more speculation than anything but I see the tidal wave coming.

Hmmmm....didnt the Philly fans want then to draft a pot smoking black running back instead ?????

So with that said please respond.......

Football is different then so many other sports because they have a salary cap.....and the fact that they can not hold onto aging veterans.... black or white..... If you would of made the argument about black coaches and GM then I would of respected it alot more. Tony Dungy comes to mind.... Indy gave him a chance after he failed in Tampa. The Steelers .....part of the "Old boys school"....Rooney family fell in love with their new head coach the minute they sat down and interview him..... They even took him as the head coach over two white guys who had been with the franchise for years

I think that a hispanic would have more of an argument than the two of you would........

Charlie Frye; Harrington; Bledsoe; Green; Dilfer; Warner; McMahon; Plunkett; Brees ...do you really want me to list them all?

Regardless of race, oft-injured, non-productive QBs get moved.

I truly believe that you are looking for a race issue where none exists.

Edited by Jumbie

The Steelers .....part of the "Old boys school"....Rooney family fell in love with their new head coach the minute they sat down and interview him..... They even took him as the head coach over two white guys who had been with the franchise for years

Did Rooney bring in Tomlin because he was regarded as a good prosect or because the league demanded it?

For those that are in favor of this rule, name a couple African American guys that should be NFL head coaches that are'nt getting a chance.

They may have been treated unfairly, but if they're replacing the black qb with another black qb, doesn't that indicate that they're not being treated unfairly because they are black?

I don't really think those are good examples of racism. Lots of aging quarterbacks are cast aside. Lots of rookies hold out for more money. Philly is filled with idiots who boo everyone.

And for the record, I love black people.

ACEO has hit the nail on the head.

While I respect the effort to engender discussion on the topic, it's unwise to use poor examples to make a point about unequal racial treatment. You need to be careful, or you'll just undermine every LEGIT complaint of racism.

So you are more concerned about how you perceived they are treated rather than nuts and bolts reason. Here is where I think a lot of the race relations falls short. You see, my perception is that (for most whites) we don't even factor in race when seeing or dealing with these issues....where as, black friends of mine see alot of topics from the race angle first....and then react. Hence, you might hear white people sick of hearing the "race" card being thrown out too much. Honestly, most of the responses to your original question "missed the boat" because we were looking at it practically(whites), not emotionally(blacks)......it 's like you are worried about being disrespected, we see it as a simple business move....which again, is where the disconnect in the race relations falls short.

Did Rooney bring in Tomlin because he was regarded as a good prosect or because the league demanded it?

For those that are in favor of this rule, name a couple African American guys that should be NFL head coaches that are'nt getting a chance.

I really think you're missing the point which has already been posted - it's to increase visibility for black candidates. Can i ask why this bothers you so much? I mean, they're interviewing at least one black candidate in addition to all the other candidates, so noone is being treated unfairly.

So you are more concerned about how you perceived they are treated rather than nuts and bolts reason. Here is where I think a lot of the race relations falls short. You see, my perception is that (for most whites) we don't even factor in race when seeing or dealing with these issues....where as, black friends of mine see alot of topics from the race angle first....and then react. Hence, you might hear white people sick of hearing the "race" card being thrown out too much. Honestly, most of the responses to your original question "missed the boat" because we were looking at it practically(whites), not emotionally(blacks)......it 's like you are worried about being disrespected, we see it as a simple business move....which again, is where the disconnect in the race relations falls short.

This is a pretty good point.

I think white cornerbacks are treated unfairly.

Oh, that's right, there are no white cornerbacks in the league.

I think it should be mandated that every team have one white cornerback. And at least one Chinese linebacker. I mean, like a third of the world's population is Chinese and there are no Chinese linebackers in the NFL. That's racism.

I really think you're missing the point which has already been posted - it's to increase visibility for black candidates. Can i ask why this bothers you so much? I mean, they're interviewing at least one black candidate in addition to all the other candidates, so noone is being treated unfairly.

It does'nt bother me as much as it may seem. Just seems like a stupid rule to me. I honestly think that every owner in the NFL will interview and hire whoever they think gives them the best chance to succeed, without being told who they have to interview. Again, maybe I'm being naive.

Best response yet. I couldn't agree more.