[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Scoring question

quiveringnorm

OK here is the situation. We use Commissioneronline. I tied my opponent 123.95-123.95 this week. Very odd I know. We have no rule on tiebreakers as we never really thought there would be a tie rounding to the this decimal. Anyway, in looking at the official scoring, his QB Jay Cutler has -2 yards rushing. However the software does not account for this. And actually there is no were in the software to account for negative yards. Question is this, do I have a case?????

OK here is the situation. We use Commissioneronline. I tied my opponent 123.95-123.95 this week. Very odd I know. We have no rule on tiebreakers as we never really thought there would be a tie rounding to the this decimal. Anyway, in looking at the official scoring, his QB Jay Cutler has -2 yards rushing. However the software does not account for this. And actually there is no were in the software to account for negative yards. Question is this, do I have a case?????

Not enough info here yet, but I think you might - what dothe league rules say about scoring? if it says 1 point for every 10 yards rushing, I personally would interpret that to also mean -1 for every -10 yards rushing...but it's certainly not crystal clear.

Interesting situation, I'm curious to see what others say here.

what if he had 2 rushes...the 1st for 3 yards and then next for -5 yards?

If negative scoring is used, then he'd have -2 yards.

If negative scoring is not used, then he'd have 0 yards.

This discussion reminded me of the system used for some soccer matches, where the an 'away' goal is worth more than a 'home' goal. So if a game ends up tied, the away team wins. Do any of you utilize this system in your FF leagues?

Not a fan of deducting points. Most QBs end up with negative rushing when they kneel to run out the clock.

Very good point right there.

The box score shows Cutler with 2 attempts for -2 yards. I reviewed the play-by-play, and he did have a kneeldown at the end of regulation for -2 yards. I couldn't find the other rushing attempt, although there was one instance in the play-by-play where the Raiders sacked Cutler for zero yards, so perhaps that is the other rushing attempt.

Well, he'd have a total of -2 yards and hence 0 points.

sigh you said scoring didnt start until he had ONE yard thats why i used my example :D

fwiw if its not in the rules then its not in the rules

Edited by keggerz

The box score shows Cutler with 2 attempts for -2 yards. I reviewed the play-by-play, and he did have a kneeldown at the end of regulation for -2 yards. I couldn't find the other rushing attempt, although there was one instance in the play-by-play where the Raiders sacked Cutler for zero yards, so perhaps that is the other rushing attempt.

but if he had 2 yards prior to that kneel down you would lose the -2 yards and be at zero...so i guess there is a question as to whether or not negative plays should count :D

As far as I know, sacks count against the total passing yardage numbers, not rushing numbers for QBs.

As to the OP, no argument as the scoring rules clearly state the scoring for yardage does not start until 1 yard. As a point of reference, th eleagues that I commish are set up such that scoring yardage starts in the negative (generally have them set from -99 yars to 999 yards to cover all the bases) so the -2 yards for Cutler would have resulted in 0.2 points (as we use decimal scoring) coming off of his score.

The usual method is that stats start at zero yardage so negative rushing yards don't result in negative points.

+1

you should be able to research it quickly....perhaps even this weekend....I think I saw a WR had negative rushing yards this weekend....forget who, but some rather prominant WR tried a reverse, and was tackled for a loss....check and see if they awarded him negative points for those negative rushing yards.

+1

you should be able to research it quickly....perhaps even this weekend....I think I saw a WR had negative rushing yards this weekend....forget who, but some rather prominant WR tried a reverse, and was tackled for a loss....check and see if they awarded him negative points for those negative rushing yards.

Chris Chambers had 1 attempt for -5 yards - in my league, he got -0.5 points for that.

Clearly the original poster's league software does not score negative points for negative yardage, so I'm not sure what is accomplished by looking up how Chambers was scored in his league - but I'd be interested in how other Huddlers' leagues scored Chambers this past weekend. At the risk of disagreeing with Big John twice in one day, I'm not so sure that the default or the "usual method" is to not give negative points for negative yardage.

Edited by Easy n Dirty

You don't have a case unless your published scoring rules state:

1) QBs get credit for rushing yards

2) Players (including QBs) are penalized for negative yardage

Unless your rules specifically state this you have no case. Would a RB that ended up with negative yardage passing or receiving be penalized?

Gotta agree with several posts here, that its all gonna come down to your rules. If it states SPECIFICALLY that negative points are awarded for negative yards, then you have a case. Otherwise, I think you're out of luck this year.

All my leagues deduct points, and it does suk when your QB drops to a knee two or three times and ends up with negative .5....

Good luck!

I would also recommend, that if you want to introduce it to your league have a rules discussion in the offseason to possibly implement the negative points.