[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Flu Shot

Atlanta Cracker

Go get one. I've had one the last few years. Never had a negative issue with them. Whether or not they have lowered my personal incidence of sickness, i'm not sure, but there really isn't a downside to them from what they say.

We get them from free at work so that makes it more convenient of course.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

Definitely, get one.

Unless your allergic to eggs, then don't.

The older you get, the more important it is to get your flu shot. They have shots for pneumonia, too. Those you only need once every so many years, though.

Just had a kid a month ago. The doc said the wife and I should get them this year. That combined with the fact that they are paid for by the company made me get one this year. I normally don't.

Edit: So far, not sick.

Edited by myhousekey

I get one every year. I had a job where I came in contact with many people every day. I always figured more people more chance to catch something.

Now if you work outdoors with minimum contact don't know if it would be so important. But I am not a doctor.

Oh.......... and I'm old.

Edited by jackshi17

I get one every year. I had a job where I came in contact with many people every day. I always figured more people more chance to catch something.

Now if you work outdoors with minimum contact don't know if it would be so important. But I am not a doctor.

Oh.......... and I'm old.

I don't know if that is true or not. I sort of think that if you come in contact with a lot of sheet then you build up immunities to that sheet. :D I think maybe Chargerz could enlighten us on that.

As for the shot, I try to get it every year for the last few but my doctor tells me no. She says that I am not a risk and that the shot should be saved for those that need it and are more at risk. :D

I'm not a believer in them.

Tho' I'm probably the bug carrier since I rarely get sick.

The shots they give are based on a guess as to which flu strain will be prevalent this year.

Which, of course, is probably never right.

Have to get rid of last year's overstock somehow. Maybe it's the same strain this year too! :D

On the positive side, it's usually free. So, no reason not to get it (unless allergic to eggs like mentioned).

She says that I am not a risk and that the shot should be saved for those that need it and are more at risk. :D

And every year it seems like they are throwing away a bunch of unused flu shots because the general public has been told to save them for those that need it....

Definitely, get one.

Unless your allergic to eggs, then don't.

The older you get, the more important it is to get your flu shot. They have shots for pneumonia, too. Those you only need once every so many years, though.

Pneumococcal pneumonia shots are usually given just once to people when they reach 65 or twice (at least 5 years apart) to people with certain chronic diseases or to those with transplanted organs.

I don't know if that is true or not. I sort of think that if you come in contact with a lot of sheet then you build up immunities to that sheet. :wacko: I think maybe Chargerz could enlighten us on that.

As for the shot, I try to get it every year for the last few but my doctor tells me no. She says that I am not a risk and that the shot should be saved for those that need it and are more at risk. :D

The whole issue of whether or not to get flu shots is complex, but I will try to summarize it briefly.

Influenza is extremely contagious and can be lethal. In this country the illnesses that most people claim to be caused by the "flu" are actually caused by other respiratory viruses. We haven't had a world-wide flu epidemic since 1918, but 50 million people died. It is this fear of mass mortality that drives the flu vaccination program now.

Since the virus is contagious, it is true that those with more exposure to others have a greater chance of getting it. I get a flu shot every year because I come into contact with a large number of patients. The elderly, the young, pregnant women, and people with chronic medical problems should also get a yearly flu shot. All the rest of you need to judge for yourselves if you are at risk for getting the flu. The vast number of people who receive a flu shot do not have any side-effects, but some localized pain and swelling can occur at the injection site. An allergy to eggs is an exclusion.

The influenza vaccine is manufactured fresh every year and is effective against LAST YEAR'S strain of influenza virus. The problem with this is the influenza virus can mutate into another strain VERY quickly, thus rendering the newest vaccine ineffective. Every year researchers try to stay on top of this problem, but the bottom line is the virus can mutate faster than we can make new vaccines. If a particularly lethal strain ever spreads quickly in the future, we could be in serious trouble (like the "bird" flu outbreak of last year! :D ).

Pneumococcal pneumonia shots are usually given just once to people when they reach 65 or twice (at least 5 years apart) to people with certain chronic diseases or to those with transplanted organs.

The whole issue of whether or not to get flu shots is complex, but I will try to summarize it briefly.

Influenza is extremely contagious and can be lethal. In this country the illnesses that most people claim to be caused by the "flu" are actually caused by other respiratory viruses. We haven't had a world-wide flu epidemic since 1918, but 50 million people died. It is this fear of mass mortality that drives the flu vaccination program now.

Since the virus is contagious, it is true that those with more exposure to others have a greater chance of getting it. I get a flu shot every year because I come into contact with a large number of patients. The elderly, the young, pregnant women, and people with chronic medical problems should also get a yearly flu shot. All the rest of you need to judge for yourselves if you are at risk for getting the flu. The vast number of people who receive a flu shot do not have any side-effects, but some localized pain and swelling can occur at the injection site. An allergy to eggs is an exclusion.

The influenza vaccine is manufactured fresh every year and is effective against LAST YEAR'S strain of influenza virus. The problem with this is the influenza virus can mutate into another strain VERY quickly, thus rendering the newest vaccine ineffective. Every year researchers try to stay on top of this problem, but the bottom line is the virus can mutate faster than we can make new vaccines. If a particularly lethal strain ever spreads quickly in the future, we could be in serious trouble (like the "bird" flu outbreak of last year! :D ).

Good info, as always! :wacko: How many other websites have a resident Doc, that does house ca........................well at least web calls! :D

Last year was the first year since the "Swine Flu Shot" that I got one. Yeah, Mrs. RR ragged me into it. :wacko:

I was fine until I got something in March. And it lasted til the end of April. I don't think it was the flu, but it was nasty.

I'll prolly get one again...........Getin' too old to ignore it! :wacko:

Flu shots:

Pros: reduced pain and suffering when the flu strikes.

Cons: death from allergic reaction.

:D

But you can only die once! The flu comes back every year! :D

Well I got it not because I am at risk but because I hate the flu. I've only gotten it like once in the past 10 years but a few bucks to avoid it is worth it to me. My arm was a bit sore more than I expected but that's cleared up.

Now I'm fighting a rather nasty sinus situation that has to do with drought and allergies that's unrelated to the shot I'm pretty sure.

Thanks for the info Chargerz

Now I'm fighting a rather nasty sinus situation that has to do with drought and allergies .

Wow, I feel ya. That ragweed is a killer right now. All September and, with record heat and no frost in sight, staying strong into October....

They are giving flu shots in my building today for $25. I've considered it in the past but never actually gotten one.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Pros: I know I will get sick when I get the shot, instead of at a more inconvenient time.

Cons: I have never gotten the flu on a year I did not get the shot.