[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How the hell do I travel with suits?

Puddy

Okay, I actually travel a decent amount for work but normally it's business casual. Well this trip to NY next week requires suits. What's the best way to pack suits for travel via air. Do I simply check a garment bag? Is a garment bag considered a carry on? Do I stuff my jackets into a suitcase?

I'm lost :D

i've carried the garmet bag on the plane.... they have closets to hang them

Would I also be allowed to bring my normal carry-on? I'd prefer to pack the other items in my carry-on suitcase can hang the garment bag. I couldn't find any info on NWA's website. It says I'm allowed two carry-on's (which includes my briefcase/computer bag). So I figured the garment bag would make a 3rd carry-on and be disallowed. :D

not sure about that. another option is to turn it inside out and pack it in the carryon.... and see if your hotel can press it for you if it is too wrinkled.... sometimes steam from the shower helped straighten it out in the past.

Last time I travled for business I checked my garment bag (w/ jacket, pants, shirt). I check everything I can cause I hate carrying all my crap. I had a night before my meeting and ironed all my stuff the night before I needed my gear at the hotel. Worked pretty well. If yer at a nice enough hotel they have dry cleaning service. One thing to look out for: One time I ironed my stuff with the hotel iron with steam. I guess there was rust or something in the iron and ended up with a big yellow stain on a white shirt. Always run some steam onto the ironing board before using it on yer clothes.

can't do computer bag, roller bag, and garment bag. that is 3 and will be shot down if caught.

when i need the 3 bags, i check the roller bag and carry on the garment bag. the garment bag i have is sweet. i can get 2-3 suits in there and then it folds over twice to resemble a normal bag. it is also very sturdy, unlike most garment bags, so it does a good job of protecting the suits and not destroying them. bought it from jos. a bank. it also helps that i fly almost exclusively in business class, where i can wear on the plane one of my suit coats and the nice, hot stewardess will take that from me and hang it up. they may hang up your coat in coach if you ask nice enough. also plenty of overhead room in business, so my garment bag does not get smashed during the trip.

as stated, you can always use the hotel dry cleaning, but many times, i don't have the time as i get in sometimes and need to head for the office immediately or only after a few hours of sleep.

can't do computer bag, roller bag, and garment bag. that is 3 and will be shot down if caught.

when i need the 3 bags, i check the roller bag and carry on the garment bag. the garment bag i have is sweet. i can get 2-3 suits in there and then it folds over twice to resemble a normal bag. it is also very sturdy, unlike most garment bags, so it does a good job of protecting the suits and not destroying them. bought it from jos. a bank. it also helps that i fly almost exclusively in business class, where i can wear on the plane one of my suit coats and the nice, hot stewardess will take that from me and hang it up. they may hang up your coat in coach if you ask nice enough. also plenty of overhead room in business, so my garment bag does not get smashed during the trip.

as stated, you can always use the hotel dry cleaning, but many times, i don't have the time as i get in sometimes and need to head for the office immediately or only after a few hours of sleep.

Well this came off as slightly pretentious. What makes you think I'm in coach?

Yeah, I am....:D

not sure if this was said yet or not....when ever you pack items that you dont want to wrinkle like suits and dress shirts keep the dry cleaners plastic over them....that will keep the materials from sticking to each other and causing wrinkles...the plastic just lets the items move a bit freely....nothing will cut down 100% on wrinkles but i used to travel a ton and wore a suit daily...that was the best tip i ever got...

this is very similar to the samonsite garment bag i have: http://images.ebags.com/images/Products/18553_sq250.jpg

I check everything I can cause I hate carrying all my crap. I

i did all of my biz travel pre 9-11....i never ckd at the curb...i would always bring it with me to the boarding area and then ck it there and leave it right outside the door of the plane as i boarded....that did 2 things....if the flight got canceled i still had my bag if i wanted to get on another flight and it made sure my bag(s) got on the plane with me....i am not sure if you can do that today

Last time I flew I wore 6 t-shirts on the plane to keep from packing them. Maybe you could try layering your suits??

What kind of cheap company does Puddy work for that they can't pay a small Asian boy to wear 6 suits for you?

Keeping them in their plastic is an excellent idea. That's what I usually do.

I'll even go as far as going to a one-day turnaround cleaners and have them press the suit for me if it gets wrinkled in my garment bag.

A similar suggestion: if you bought any of your suits at the Mens Wearhouse they will press those suits for free for the lifetime of the suit. So if you have one you'd wear to your meeting then pack that one. Locate the nearest Mens Wearhouse in advance, take it there in advance, and they'll press them in-house. Takes like 15 minutes, assuming they're not real busy.

Also, there are carry ons designed for suits. You roll up the suit like a burrito, which isn't perfect, but better than stuffing it into a suit case. Most of the wrinkles come out after 24 hours of hanging up. Plus, most hotels have those little hand held steamers or an iron that you can use to touch up any problem areas.

Edited by yo mama