[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Coming into work sick

whomper

Do you come to work sick ?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. In regards to coming into work sick I

• Stay home if I am very sick
    • Tough it out if I am manageably sick
    • Stay home If I am sick at all
    • Go to work if its manageable but also see a doctor so it doesnt linger
    • Puddy :ninja:

I usually tough it out if I am sick unless it is really bad but if I see it lingering I will go see a doctor and get some meds. I will try and get a night appointment if I am not very ill and the appointment is available. This woman that I work with that sits right next to me has been hacking all over the place for about 2 solid weeks now. She has acknowledged she is sick and it covering when she coughs and has anti bacterial lotion all over the place but the bottom line is she and I exchange papers and patterns a lot during the day . Today I get up and my throat is soar and I am very clogged. It could be my allergies and it could be something I may not have picked up from her but ISMHO she is a little out of line. I can see toughing it out but squeeze in a Drs appointment to cut down the recovery time. She sits right in between me and my brother and we both are tired of this never ending cold she has. What is your opinion on it ? How do you go about coming in/ staying home etc ?

Edited by whomper

As you already said, tough it out but see a DR if it lingers on. The guy I carpool with is the worse, he flat out refuses to see aDR ever and won't take his kids if they are sick. I hear him ridicule his wife when she takes them in, he is a heatlh freak that doesn't believe in any type of meds.

Edited by T_bone65

If I'm coughing or sneezing it's NyQuil/DayQuil time and I'm for bed the rest of the day. Of course, I'm salaried and I routinely work 12+ hours per day so I have no problems taking the time if I'm not feeling up to snuff. Spreading illness around an office (especially a small one) does not help productivity in the least.

Whomp feel better ..if you want i can have my friend ( will rub you down for free ) , rub vicks rub on your chest

i normally tough it out but sometimes you need that rest and meds to stay home ...seriously feel better

Thanks. I am actually fine, I think its my allergies because I ran out of allegra..The post was more so to see peoples takes on the situation with this woman at work or similar experiences

Edited by whomper

Working in a small office, we generally say stay home if you're feeling sick. With a staff of 8, we have a really rough time on the rare occasion that everyone gets what's going around. Everyone can access email from home and/or we can call them for anything urgent.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

Because I teach 12-14 year olds I am exposed to every disease known to humans almost daily. My immune system should be patented. I have not missed a day because of illness in 19 years (knock on wood) and I think it's because of the constant exposure to all the things brought to school every day. I tough it out when I'm somewhat under the weather and feel it's my duty to return the favor to the disease-carrying spawn that brought it to me in the first place.

I would tell the lady that she needs to go see a doctor/health professional/gyn and have her cooter roto-rootered. There must be a blockage somewhere that is preventing her body's natural healthy response to whatever disease this is that is lingering for this long. Volunteer your brother to perform the service if you must. JMHO.

I would tell the lady that she needs to go see a doctor/health professional/gyn and have her cooter roto-rootered. There must be a blockage somewhere that is preventing her body's natural healthy response to whatever disease this is that is lingering for this long. Volunteer your brother to perform the service if you must. JMHO.

I agree. Part of the problem is all the anti-bacterial stuff she has around. Your immune system works best when it is occasionally called to task. If you keep it isolated from the little nasties, it doesn't know how to react when it does come in contact with them.

A doctor can't do anything about a virus though. Seeing a doctor when you've got a virus is just a wasted co-pay. You just have to tough those out, and that's what a majority of people have when they get sick.

Right on SB, most colds are viral in etiology and have no specific pharmacotherapy. Just get a lot of sleep and rest.

IIRC, you are at your most contagious in the prodrome and for the first 48 hours or so when you're shedding virus in your secretions like Mexican water through a Gringo's colon.

Right on SB, most colds are viral in etiology and have no specific pharmacotherapy. Just get a lot of sleep and rest.

IIRC, you are at your most contagious in the prodrome and for the first 48 hours or so when you're shedding virus in your secretions like Mexican water through a Gringo's colon.

:D

Because of my line of work, it's pretty important that anyone who is remotely sick stay home. Sometimes I'll sequester myself in the office, but usually just stop in, grab some work and take it home.

Do you still pay them salary plus what they would have made in tips?

We have had people officially reprimanded for coming into work sick and infecting the rest of the people. At some point, it becomes easier on the company to keep your diseased ass at home. It's a loss control issue.

You have sick days for a reason. Use them if you think what you have is contagious. When I worked in an office, I'd stay home sick if I felt what I had was going to spread. If I felt OK, though, I'd do some work from home and take the intermittent nap and pound some OJ.

Now I work from home (and travel) so...

I'm also exposed to a crazy amount of germs at school. I wasn't really affected until we had our son. It was much harder to get better when I was tired. It's also hard for me to miss a day. I usually have to pick up the mess the next day since the students don't do well with a guest teacher. Since the students are usually the ones who got me sick, it's pretty much a moot point with me avoiding infecting them.