[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looking for a comprehensive list

detlef

Guessing that all the things that US law already specifically says you can get killed for still apply, right? Treason, murder, etc.?

Seems like we have plenty of votes for stealing. So much for looking down on Arab countries as barbaric because they'll allegedly chop off someone's hand for stealing.

If that's true, it seems like a pretty safe case to add assault, right? I mean, we're not going to value material possessions over our own bodies are we? So, let's add assault to the list. Beat somebody up, prepare to be shot. Wow, that brings a whole new meaning to "he started it". I mean, when the stakes are that high, you'd better not be the one who struck the first blow. Well that sort of adds a dangerous wrinkle. After all, since any random dude with a gun is in charge of enforcing this (oops, forgot to mention that part), you'd better hope you are neither the guy who started the fight or the guy that John Wayne over there thinks started it.

What else...

Reckless driving, right? I mean, who's going to complain if there's one less dangerous driver on the road? Take them out before they hurt somebody else. At what point does speeding become reckless driving? TimC? Can we get a ruling on this? Obviously drunk driving is a given here.

Smoking pot? We've all seen the commercials. Buy pot, fund Bin Laden. That's like treason, right? Dope smokers beware.

Underage drinking? The allowable BAC for underage drivers is zero, right? Pretty good chance if you're a kid and you're drinking, you're driving. I mean, half the time we drank in HS, we drove out to some park or something. What a shame we had to execute our youth like that.

God, I'm sure I'm missing a bunch here. Any of you "against overbearing gov't conservatives" want to help me out with any I missed?

Can I shoot Mike Shanahan for robbing me of a FF championship?

Well, the good news is, a very loose and flexible interpretation of when you can and can't kill someone seems to be advocated around here. So, I think you're fine. Would you consider the winnings you were deprived as "stuff"? The Grunt has established a legal precedent for justifiably killing someone for taking "stuff".

Edited by detlef

Det - you are twisting words. I don't think that I would kill for steeling. I would kill you for invading my home space. There is a difference. I don't think that I would chase you up the street when you are steeling from my house to try to kill you. I would kill you before you left my house though.

I know I must sound like I want to kill someone but that is not the case. I just have a certain line that I think ever single decent human being knows that you are not supposed to cross.

One thing that you left off your list is rape. I don't care how you would slice it and I sure do pray that I am never victim, (I take that back, I would like to be a rape victim), but I pray that no one close to me is ever a victim as I am 100% sure that I would snap and go hunting. This would probably cause me a lot of trouble, but then again I know that I would be willing to go through that trouble.

Det - you are twisting words. I don't think that I would kill for steeling. I would kill you for invading my home space. There is a difference. I don't think that I would chase you up the street when you are steeling from my house to try to kill you. I would kill you before you left my house though.

I know I must sound like I want to kill someone but that is not the case. I just have a certain line that I think ever single decent human being knows that you are not supposed to cross.

One thing that you left off your list is rape. I don't care how you would slice it and I sure do pray that I am never victim, (I take that back, I would like to be a rape victim), but I pray that no one close to me is ever a victim as I am 100% sure that I would snap and go hunting. ...

There isn't a more challenging form of hunting, but hunting humans. :D Human beings are intelligent, highly sensible creatures. :D They know how to use weaponry, and don't go down easy. At any rate, the least we can aim for is a slow, agonizing death for the rapist. It's necessary protocol for dealing with such acts of evil.

In MI, using deadly force is justifiable in defending against rape.

But what a lot of people think about citizens licensed to carry a firearm is that they are out for vigilante justice, or want to be cowboys. The truth is from what I've heard and read(granted a lot of it comes from pro right to carry people), CPL holders are a lot less likely to commit violent crimes than non-licensed people(which would include shooting someone in the back for trying to run away with your TV). The people who are getting licensed have to get fingerprinted and have a thorough background check as well as the class which goes into detail about the responsibility of owning and carrying a weapon. Personally, I am now waaaay less likely to get into an altercation with someone BECAUSE I carry a weapon.....If anything it's made me more responsible.

I know this has changed into a whether or not we should be able to carry weapons rant but remember, even if they stop us from legally carrying, the criminals will still have guns.

God, I'm sure I'm missing a bunch here.

Interesting you invoked God in this, but then again, your western religious bias colors the entire question -- as you seem to see death as a punishment or consequence for an action, rather than a reward.

If you could set aside that fundamental right-to-life mindset and consider death as a reward for action, your question would become -- for what actions should society reward the individual with passage to the next portion of his/her journey?

All of a sudden, death is not the cruel cold conservative punishment your biases make it out to be -- but instead a warm caring liberal benefit, likely with 40 virgins involved in it somehow ... Freeing, isn't it? :D

One thing that you left off your list is rape. I don't care how you would slice it and I sure do pray that I am never victim, (I take that back, I would like to be a rape victim), but I pray that no one close to me is ever a victim as I am 100% sure that I would snap and go hunting. This would probably cause me a lot of trouble, but then again I know that I would be willing to go through that trouble.

Skippy, this thread was not intended as a response to those who said they wouldn't hesitate to kill an intruder in their home. As I said to Hugh in the other thread, I don't think that amounts to killing a dude for stealing, rather for posing a threat to your family. This was inspired by those who felt that the dude in H8M8's threat was a hero. He is exactly the "cowboy vigilante" that we should really be scared of.

People are quick to point out at that all you need to do to avoid being shot by dudes like this is not break the law. I just thought I'd have a little fun explaining what a crock of poop that logic is.

Oh, and BTW, you'd have a really hard time getting an argument from anyone against rape or even, as somebody else mention, child molestation being grounds for death. I actually thought of those when I was originating the thread but did not include them because they weren't lame. I mostly wanted to focus on those things that were lame because, well, I think it's pretty freaking lame to think that it's cool for a guy to kill two people who are only guilty of walking off with someone else's stuff.

What gives society the right to kill another person ? that is what jail is for ...solitary confinement for 23 hrs and 55 minutes a day for the worst of the worst criminals ...but not sure we havethe right to kill anybody ( isnt that what the people on death row did ...an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind )