[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone ever dealt with prostate cancer?

SF409ers

Well I received news that my father has prostate cancer. He is scheduled to see his Dr. again on Friday to discuss and schedule a Prostatectomy. He and the rest of the family are obviously concerned and I have now begun to do some research on this. I am wondering if anyone has dealt with this and what advice / feedback you might have regarding the disease, surgery, etc.

He has a “Gleason” score of 7; it is a 3+4 and it is at stage T1C?? Not sure yet what that all means. I just hope it has not spread outside the prostate and they can get rid of it by removing his prostate. He is 67 and in fair health, I hope this is something he can recover from.

I do not belong to any other “online” message boards and this place seems to have a plethora of knowledgeable individuals so any input would be very helpful and grateful, prayers / positive thoughts also. I do not know anyone personally who has faced this. I guess it is the word “cancer” that has me freaking out a bit. This noob thanks you all in advance and I will update as I learn more.

I am sorry for the news you received 409ers...but I really have no experience with prostate cancer. I did a Google search and located the Gleason score table (see link below):

http://www.prostate-cancer.org/education/s...easonScore.html

Will keep your dad and family in my prayers. Good luck!

Edited by The Wolf

My granddad had it. He chose to go through radiation therapy instead of removing the prostate. Everything was successful. I don't know what scale it was.

From what I remember, prostate cancer is slow growing. Most prostate cancer is found before it spreads and the cure rate is extremely high...close to 100%.

If we live long enough, chances are we'll have it at some point. Keep us informed.

first off prayers for your dad and your family

My brother had prostrate cancer at a fairly young age and he went with the radiation seeds

main thing is that the doctors act fast and do what is necessary to ensure cancer does not spread

good look and God Bless

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I appreciate the link Wolf.

Well after some preliminary research this is what I have figured out so far and this is only my basic understanding so feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

From the diagnosis I guess they use the Gleason score to grade the aggressiveness of the cancer cells and a TNM system for the staging (how far along it is). “T” represents the location of the tumor, “N” represents the presence of cancer in lymph nodes and “M” represents the presence of cancer in the bones.

The Gleason scores range from 2-10, with 2 being the lowest and 10 the highest. The score is made up of adding two #’s from a grade of 1-5, 1 being not very aggressive and 5 being very aggressive. The first # represents the majority of the cancer cells the second # represents the minority?? From what little I have read so far my dads score of 7 with a majority of it being 3 is somewhat good news, meaning it is not in rapid growth mode yet??

His staging diagnosis of T1C is also somewhat good news as this means it has not spread outside the prostate and is not in his lymph nodes or bone. I suppose this means that at this point removing the prostate should remove all the cancer.

I will know more on Friday as I am going with him to the doctor’s office. I figured I would post whatever info I find in case someone else runs across this and it is somewhat therapeutic for me to do so.

One thing I found interesting is that men in America and Europe seem to have a much higher rate of getting prostate cancer than those in Asia :D And as someone else stated at a certain point most men will have some form of prostate cancer if we live long enough, however it may not require any action. Thanks again for all the kind words, this place is awesome!!

My unk had it, but no idea what his #'s were. I believe he had the radiation treatment, and it was successful. It's been at least 12 years and seems to be doing fine. Granted he's had a couple of strokes and other problems, he's still as feisty as ever.

Prayers and best wishes coming to your Pops! And welcome to the best place on the web.

When my father had his prostate removed, he was given the options of via front or back. Traditional method is through lower abdomen and newer method is rectal. Doctor talked him into rear method saying recovery is easier since there is less tissue/muscle damage. I called to check on him a few days after surgery and the first thing he said was "if you ever have this done, do it from the front!".

Best to your dad.