[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Parcells says NO to Falcons

darin3

Parcells will dance with as many teams as he can in order to get the job he wants.

Who knows where he will end up, Tuna's job searches usually wind up with him agreeing to terms and then declining at the last minute (see Tampa Bay 2002).

Edited by charty

Parcells will dance with as many teams as he can in order to get the job he wants.

Who knows where he will end up, Tuna's job searches usually wind up with him agreeing to terms and then declining at the last minute (see Tampa Bay 2002).

Yeah apparently he had agreed in principle to the Falcons' job and then declined once everything was set for signing, stating he was awaiting a revised offer from the Dolphins (probably trumping the Falcon deal in salary, etc.).

I think the guy's kind of a jackass. :D

I think the guy's kind of a jackass. :D

For having leverage? Until it's signed, it's just business. We're talking about a business that is really really cutthroat on both sides of the equation.

I too think he's a bit of a jackass. But not for backing out of a deal that wasn't final. The Falcons are replacing McKay as GM anyway, with or without Parcells.

For having leverage? Until it's signed, it's just business. We're talking about a business that is really really cutthroat on both sides of the equation.

I too think he's a bit of a jackass. But not for backing out of a deal that wasn't final. The Falcons are replacing McKay as GM anyway, with or without Parcells.

Leverage is one thing. This is going beyond business leverage.

For all intents and purposes, the deal was basically final (according to the Falcons).

Sounds like Parcells had a deal from the Fins and from the Falcons, agreed in principle to the Falcons deal, was awaiting the signing and then got a better deal from the Dolphins. That's not business savvy, that's scummy.

was awaiting the signing and then got a better deal from the Dolphins

Didn't know that part. That is a wee bit scummy.

Again though, this NFL business is quite a bit scummy and non-committal when it comes to personnel. Doesn't make it right, but a guy like Parcells has been around the block and probably been screwed himself quite a few times. Work it or be worked maybe?

Didn't know that part. That is a wee bit scummy.

Again though, this NFL business is quite a bit scummy and non-committal when it comes to personnel. Doesn't make it right, but a guy like Parcells has been around the block and probably been screwed himself quite a few times. Work it or be worked maybe?

Yeah, apparently Arthur Blank had gone up to upstate New York to meet with Parcells personally - to ink the deal - and found out that Parcells was backing out.

I'm no Falcon fan, by any stretch, but man... that Blank guy has been through the wringer this year.

And yeah, you're probably right. Dog eat dog world. No pun intended. :D

I'm no Falcon fan, by any stretch, but man... that Blank guy has been through the wringer this year.

Yeah... it's probably not a very good sign that you are losing out to the Dolphins. Which team is in bigger disarray right now?

You know, most people seem to feel that Blank is a victim in all this but who's to say he isn't actually part of the problem? He was the one famously pushing Vick around in his wheelchair.

Of course, maybe Bill just wants to be in Miami more than he wants to be in Atlanta?

(Nice unintentional pun btw :D )

Yeah, apparently Arthur Blank had gone up to upstate New York to meet with Parcells personally - to ink the deal - and found out that Parcells was backing out.

Yep. And Chris Mortensen reported today that he had spoke with Parcells and h quoted him as saying that he was going to take the job, they had a few things to work out, but NONE that would be any deal breakers.

Man, the Falcons just can't catch a break!!!!!

Tuna didnt want to clean up McKays mess in 2002, why would he want to do it in 2007???

You sure like crapping on the GM who got your formerly-pathetic franchise to the top, don't you?

Yes, lets give Rich McKay all the credit for the Bucs becoming respectable.....Sorry but I give more credit to Dungy and his coaching staff hires (Lovie Smith, Rod Marinelli, Mike Tomlin, Herm Edwards, and not to mention Monte Kiffin.) They are the ones that made that franchise into what it is.

McKay did a great job at getting the right players in Tampa. He did a terrible job at managing the salary cap and left the Bucs dead in the water when he left.

Sorry I dont bow down to McKay.... :D

Yes, lets give Rich McKay all the credit for the Bucs becoming respectable.....Sorry but I give more credit to Dungy and his coaching staff hires (Lovie Smith, Rod Marinelli, Mike Tomlin, Herm Edwards, and not to mention Monte Kiffin.) They are the ones that made that franchise into what it is.

I'd say that intelligent drafting on the part of McKay and Dungy was equally important.

Dungy did an excellent job in TB, but he inexplicably couldn't even win an NFC title with those teams and the coaching staff that you rave about. Combining that with the fact that he's under-achieved in Indy as well, and I'd say that you're over-stating his importance somewhat. Dungy's good, but he isn't exactly Walsh or Belichick.

McKay did a great job at getting the right players in Tampa.

Which is arguably the most important aspect of his job. A great HC is nothing without great drafting (e.g., Gibbs in WAS right now).

He did a terrible job at managing the salary cap and left the Bucs dead in the water when he left.

Yeah, he did such an awful job with the cap that the Bucs were a perennial playoff team form the mid-90's through '02 and won a SB. What a crappy GM. :D

This may come as a surprise to you, but teams often run into cap issues when they spend on veterans to put them over the top. The last time I checked, the Bucs were on their way to their second playoff appearance in the past three years, so it doesn't exactly sound like McKay crippled your franchise. :D

Sorry I dont bow down to McKay.... :wacko:

I don't expect you to "bow down to McKay", but I just find it silly that you mention the salary cap issue every f'n time somebody mentions his name here.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Parcells has a long and storied history of screwing over whoever it takes when it comes to his contract. As you might recall, he was negotiating with the Jets during the week leading up to the Pats Super Bowl appearance that year. He's a slimy SOB, that one. Oh sure, he knows his stuff, but lots of teams end up feeling raped by the time he's done with them.