[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rough way to end the year / start the year

muck

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone.

My grandfather passed tonight, almost 24hrs after the miscarriage.

My grandmother's spirits have picked up immensely -- she was able to have a good amount of laughter interspersed with the tears tonight. Her husband, my grandfather, was an amazing man.

* Grew up in a farm house with dirt floors; family spoke only German in the house.

* Paid his way through college (after taking four years between HS and college to save up enough to pay for the first year; the final three were on bank loans) by working on the grounds crew around campus -- still managed to get a B average majoring in mathematics and letter eleven times in football, basketball and track.

* Earned a masters in mathematics while teaching Army boys electronics -- he couldn't serve in WWII because he was color blind, but he was darn sure he'd do whatever he could to help the cause.

* Earned a doctorate in education -- it took him six or seven years of night and weekend classes to finish it ... which he did while still teaching and coaching.

* Painted houses in the summer to help make ends meet.

* Was inducted in the the Teachers Hall of Fame after a 40-ish year career as teacher, coach and school administrator.

* First president of a 50-ish year old credit union; his account number was 0000000007. The credit unions' first officers were the coaches at the HS; he was the president because he was the math teacher! If you wanted to make a deposit, you simply had to walk into the coaches office -- sure were different times!

* Taught Sunday School for more than 40 years.

* Several decade invlvement in the Boy Scouts.

Simply put, he was a man who changed lives through teaching... and he was teaching lessons to the very end! Hard work solves many problems; don't limit your education to what comes out of a textbook; feed and clothe the poorest among us; have fun in the midst of the hard work...

Edited by muck

Wow, 92 years of life and 70 years of marriage. I bet your grandfather has some great stories on both accounts, While I know it's sad to let him go, I'm sure all your memories of him will bring smiles to your face and warmth to your heart for years to come.

As for the loss you and your wife suffered, words cannot express how bad I feel for the both of you. :D

Edited by 'canes2004

Thanks everyone.

My grandmother's spirits have picked up immensely -- she was able to have a good amount of laughter interspersed with the tears tonight. Her husband, my grandfather, was an amazing man.

* Grew up in a farm house with dirt floors; family spoke only German in the house.

* Paid his way through college (after taking four years between HS and college to save up enough to pay for the first year; the final three were on bank loans) by working on the grounds crew around campus -- still managed to get a B average majoring in mathematics and letter eleven times in football, basketball and track.

* Earned a masters in mathematics while teaching Army boys electronics -- he couldn't serve in WWII because he was color blind, but he was darn sure he'd do whatever he could to help the cause.

* Earned a doctorate in education -- it took him six or seven years of night and weekend classes to finish it ... which he did while still teaching and coaching.

* Was inducted in the the Teachers Hall of Fame after a 40-ish year career as teacher, coach and school administrator.

* First president of a 50-ish year old credit union; his account number was 0000000007. The credit unions' first officers were the coaches at the HS; he was the president because he was the math teacher! If you wanted to make a deposit, you simply had to walk into the coaches office -- sure were different times!

Simply put, he was a man who changed lives through teaching... and he was teaching lessons to the very end! Hard work solves many problems; don't limit your education to what comes out of a textbook; feed and clothe the poorest among us; have fun in the midst of the hard work...

I am sorry he passed and I am happy to see your grandmother is coping as best she can. His accomplishments are outstanding :D

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I was moaning about having a water heater burst on Monday, but this puts my troubles in perspective.

Very sorry for your losses muck.

Thanks everyone.

wow, he was indeed a heck of a guy